Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrell McClain waived by Panthers

469 posts in this topic

Posted

Has the FO gave a reason for this ish?!?

You cant go cutting 1-3 round draft picks after one season!

sure you can.

not sure what the problem is.

if they aren't going to live up to your expectations and you need the space to bring in someone who can then you cut them.

i swear this is a fickle fan base. bitch and moan when they hang on to someone too long and when they cut ties early on then bitch and moan some more.

the reason for this "ish" was that they saw an opportunity to pick up a vet 3 tech guy that could give them what they wanted and then they cut a guy that played the same position but wasn't going able to live up to their expectations. it just so happens that guy was drafted in the 3rd round last year. not a big deal. shocker i know but sometimes draft picks don't live up to their potential.

1 person likes this

Posted

sure you can.

not sure what the problem is.

if they aren't going to live up to your expectations and you need the space to bring in someone who can then you cut them.

i swear this is a fickle fan base. bitch and moan when they hang on to someone too long and when they cut ties early on then bitch and moan some more.

the reason for this "ish" was that they saw an opportunity to pick up a vet 3 tech guy that could give them what they wanted and then they cut a guy that played the same position but wasn't going able to live up to their expectations. it just so happens that guy was drafted in the 3rd round last year. not a big deal. shocker i know but sometimes draft picks don't live up to their potential.

How in the world are you gonna know if they are gonna live up to expectations after ONE (ROOKIE) season?!?! If that was the case some of the all time greats would have been cut and never given the chance to become what they became.

High draft picks are investments. Investments generally take time.

Sure if we simply have ZERO other people to cut and HAD to cut Mclain then I might cut understand, but we had plenty of players that we could have cut.

Posted

sure they do. this coaching staff wasn't willing to spend more time on a player that they knew wasn't going to cut it regardless of when and what round they were drafted in. coaches call.

one year...two years...three years...doesn't matter. they didn't see what they want and parted ways when presented with a better option.

Your pretty naive if you think off the field issues were not at play here.

Posted

I guess Kuechly can forget about DRoY. How is he going to rack up the tackles if teams can't run on us?

Good DT play increase his odds of making plays....Better DT play keeps OL off the LB. May not increase his tackles....but allows for those to be better plays for the D

Posted

How in the world are you gonna know if they are gonna live up to expectations after ONE (ROOKIE) season?!?! If that was the case some of the all time greats would have been cut and never given the chance to become what they became.

High draft picks are investments. Investments generally take time.

Sure if we simply has ZERO other people to cut and HAD to cut Mclain then I might cut understand, but we had plenty of players that we could have cut.

if you ain't got it, you ain't got it. he ain't got it. apparently they saw enough in him to know that he wasn't going to develop much beyond where he was now. they see him a lot more than any of us. how long does it take to tell if someone is going to be able to grasp their job or not and/or if they are really worth the hassle/investment of keeping them around for longer. with some people it just doesn't take long to tell. good talent evaluators can tell pretty quickly who they think can make it and who can't.

i think rivera qualifies as a good talent evaluator or at least he should after all these years in the league.

if dwan edwards hadn't been picked up, mcclain would likely still be on the team. they saw an opportunity to improve and cut the weak link. it doesn't matter who that weak link was, how they were obtained, or even how much they cost. they made the right move because it made the team better.

Posted

Your pretty naive if you think off the field issues were not at play here.

did i say they weren't? the bigger issue was, tho, that they saw an opportunity to improve and cut the weak link to make room. for whatever reason...mcclain was the weak link. it doesn't matter why.

Posted

Your pretty naive if you think on the field issues were not at play here.

fixed that for you.

1 person likes this

Posted

sure they do. this coaching staff wasn't willing to spend more time on a player that they knew wasn't going to cut it regardless of when and what round they were drafted in. coaches call.

one year...two years...three years...doesn't matter. they didn't see what they want and parted ways when presented with a better option.

What is Armanti ever going to be really?

I have a problem giving up on a player after 1 year. That you spent a high pick on. While you keep banging your head against the wall after 3 years for another player.

Posted

What is Armanti ever going to be really?

I have a problem giving up on a player after 1 year. That you spent a high pick on. While you keep banging your head against the wall after 3 years for another player.

how long does it take to find out someone's level of talent or their potential and their ability to reach that potential?

for some people it takes time. for others...not so much.

it's going to be different for everyone...both players and evaluators.

Posted

I think people are more bitching about how Armanti and Clausen are still here.

Plus Brown got 2 season and was cut in TC leading to his 3rd season. McClain got 1 years and really 1 offseason. The situations do not compare.

Are you saying we should have cut Armanti or Clausen instead of McClain? How does that help our DT situation?

Posted

how long does it take to find out someone's level of talent or their potential and their ability to reach that potential?

for some people it takes time. for others...not so much.

it's going to be different for everyone...both players and evaluators.

You give no time really to McClain but go all out for Jarret, Armanti, and E Brown. I don't see the strategy in that.

Unless we find out he had problems off the field.

Posted

Are you saying we should have cut Armanti or Clausen instead of McClain? How does that help our DT situation?

Yes why not cut players who won't see a jersey unless we get crushed by injuries. I consider them 2 weaker links with less potential then McClain.