Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrell McClain waived by Panthers

469 posts in this topic

Posted

That was a lot to read at 2:00 in the mourning. So I'll just say. I'm still and will always ba a fan of the team but I will question Marty's dumb moves. I consider this one a little premature. We could have still picked up Edwards and cut AE. Cutting a 3rd round pick after 1 season seem a like a rush to Judgement. And this whole plan for Armanti is really dumb.

Like I said if he was going to develop into a Megatron I'm all for waiting 3 years. But nobody in the FO or on this site thinks this. At best he will be a Randel EL. And I don't see a reason to wait 3 years for a Randel El to develop. So Armanti move will always rank high (like cutting Keyshawn for Jarret ) on Marty's dumb move list.

Posted

it's not dumb if it works.

winning games is all that matters. if what they have done doesn't get in the way, it couldn't have been too bad (and no...a roster spot used on a 5th WR or 3rd QB isn't likely to matter much). if what they do makes the team stronger and helps bring about wins...it was the right course of action.

Posted

I just don't understand how people can be so passionate about Armanti one way or another. We have practically seen nothing good or bad from him to warrant him being such a polarizing figure. Are you guys that upset that we have one less roster spot to stash another player who will see minimal to no playing time? I would understand if Armanti played in numerous games throughout the years and was miserable (dropping balls, running wrong routes, fumbling punts), but he just isn't ever on the field aside from a few meaningless preseason games which often don't showcase a player's true abilities (see: Cam). I don't see people calling for Garry Williams or Gary Barnidge to be cut since they're never on the field. I know Gary Barnidge isn't applicable anymore since we need him to step up as our #2 this season...but he has 12 receptions in 3 years with the team and I've never heard anyone ever clamor to get rid of him.

So I'm just apathetic about Armanti one way or another...all he is to me is depth. We've got our 2 "superstars" who everyone loves so much (Bryant and Green) on the practice squad who seem relatively safe for now, so I don't see why people are still adamant on Edwards getting cut. If we need to add another necessary piece to our team in the future (like a 5th CB), then we can revisit the topic...but for now I think people just need to let it go.

1 person likes this

Posted

it's not dumb if it works.

winning games is all that matters. if what they have done doesn't get in the way, it couldn't have been too bad (and no...a roster spot used on a 5th WR or 3rd QB isn't likely to matter much). if what they do makes the team stronger and helps bring about wins...it was the right course of action.

Folks hold on to their own beliefs only as long as the truth is there. If you can convince them there preceived truth is wrong, you have a chance of changing thier mind.

Problem comes that most folks believe their truths to be fact.

Panther fans are spoiled. They have had quantified success in a short amount of time. So most feel they deserve more. It is the me me me atmoshphere.

Bring in Cam. And it all goes to poo. Cuz now we are in win now mode.

Bring in a new guy, great for the team. Only if it is a guy they know. A guy they can get behind.

Bring in an upgrade most fans don't recognize, and we are not improving.

We are in year two of a building proccess. We are ahead of schedule. We are on the verge of something special. Yet most fans are not happy?

You cannot please all the people. yadada.

As much as I love the Huddle. it is the negativity that really wears on me. WE HAVE HAD SUCCESS, SO WE SHOULD BE SUCCESSFULL, I AM A PATHER FAN SO I DESERVE MORE. That kind of fan is ... boring.

You earn what you get. We have not earned a thing. We are on the verge of proving folks wrong, And it is going to be great.

But in the grand scheme of things. Brady is on his way out. And a new sort of sheriff is in town.

Fug you Mr Touchdown, First Round Pick, CRA, and Grits. We are your worst nightmare. A young team that does not know it is not suppose to win. We will spank you and your cousin. On our way to spanking you momma and daddy. Cuz from now on. The Panthers are not to be fuged with.

Posted

I am truly sorry Terrell McClain but your cut muuust be more severe.

MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM

35bcwwp.jpg

I'm drunk

MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM MATELO MATELO CAM CAM CAM

Posted

We could have still picked up Edwards and cut AE. Cutting a 3rd round pick after 1 season seem a like a rush to Judgement. And this whole plan for Armanti is really dumb.

Why is this VERY simple concept so difficult for you to understand?

Keeping AE and cutting McClain/signing Edwards have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Our FO and staff had determined the number of players at each position that they wanted to keep based on talent, scheme we will play, etc. They decided that 6 WR's were the number they wanted to carry. Now, you can argue that AE should have been jetisoned and replaced by another WR....that I can understand and actually agree with.

However, to make the blanket assertion that we should cut AE and carry only 5 WR's so that we can carry another DT is laughable. They determined that they wanted an upgrade at the UT position and that is what they went and did. They upgraded a guy that they did not believe was giving us what we need with a proven vet.

Again, not many will argue that keeping AE over bringing in another WR seems to be the correct choice. But these two transactions are completely unrelated.

Posted

not reading 31 pages and i'd hope this would have already been said by now but.....

this move tells me that

a ) the FO had no faith in mcclain ever panning out and tbh that's probably the correct opinion. dude was not very good and we all know hurney holds on to dudes way too long so if this dude is being cut after 1 season then uh this is prob for the best

b ) the FO expects the team to win now. why hang on to a project that's probably never going to pan out when you can upgrade now and make a run? the team's still a little green in areas but with the issues in new orleans, question marks in tampa bay, and matt ryan's stupid unwarranted yearly hype, this team can legitimately compete for the division title

Posted

McClain might one day be a good NFL player. Maybe this will be a wake up call to him. Maybe he reacts better to a more nurturing coaching style. Who knows.

I get the feeling that RR is not a motivator. I'm guessing that he feels that if winning games and seven figure salaries don't motivate you, he can't help you. If you need rah rahs and babysitters, go see if Rex Ryan or Jerry Jones will pick you up.

His drafting of self motivated / high motor players, plus the way he handled the Otah situation makes me feel like I'm correct in this assumption.

Perhaps Rivera likes Fua's and Edwards' work ethic enough to give them more of a chance than McClain.

Posted

I talked to Frank Garcia, former Panthers, St. Louis and Arizona Cardinals Offensive guard, about McClain and Fua. He said McClain didn't pass the eyeball test as an NFL DT. Fua was marginally better. He didn't think McClain could ever be a starting quality DT. I agree with this. Why keep a guy who didn't work out. If he is clearly never going to develop into even a serviceable backup, then just cut your losses and move on. I think the Armanti Edwards argument is a completely different argument all together and it shouldn't be discussed as related to this situation. I also think Armanti Edwards needs to go also, but that will probably happen when Gettis comes off the PuP list.

Posted

McClain had a season to prove something and he didnt. I like how we are willing to move on and not keep dead weight on board. If we can just find some DTs that can hold there ground and some others that can get some push we will be alright. We dont need superstars in this system, just competent.

Posted

Something is wrong with our ability to evaluate rookies then.

Btw the Seahawks are obviouly very happy with my 2012 choice, Jaye Howard.

Posted

Hurney!