#226 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Ok, well they kept the weakest NT then. McClain showed more promise last season than Fua. So, since we got another guy to do both positions, Fua should've been gone. Why is that so hard to understand?

Btw, I like the Dwan pick up. Just don't think the worse guy was cut.

You still don't cut the worst NT on the roster to make room for an upgrade at UT, especially when that would leave us with only one NT. If we had more NTs than UTs and one of them was expendable, then maybe an NT would have been cut to make room for Dwan. It doesn't matter if Kearse "can" play both positions, Rivera sees Kearse as a UT. If you want to add a new UT and you have an expendable UT on the roster, then you cut the worst UT to make room for the new addition. It's really that simple. Convince yourself that this move makes sense because it does.

#227 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,464 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

There must be more to this than just his play. No way they give up on him, based on play alone, so soon. He didn't even finish his rookie season, and Rivera had some good things to say...

#228 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Fua might or might not be better than McClain. But if we cut McClain over Fua, then it has to be a work ethic issue IMO. If Fua shows up day in and day out trying to improve, and McClain shows that he is not working hard enough to improve. Then why cut Fua to give McClain a roster spot? People say it takes 3 years for a DT to develop in the NFL. So this is year 2 for Fua. I honestly believe that Fua has a better work ethic and shows he cares about improving, McClain must have shown RR that he doesnt care enough to be better.

Whatever the case, if RR is still going to support Fua, then so will I.

#229 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,826 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Ok, well they kept the weakest NT then. McClain showed more promise last season than Fua. So, since we got another guy to do both positions, Fua should've been gone. Why is that so hard to understand?

Btw, I like the Dwan pick up. Just don't think the worse guy was cut.

the worst UT was cut. it apparently doesn't matter that kearse can play both positions to the guys making the decisions.

they did the move that kept them balanced and better at the same time.

#230 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,826 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

''Terrell played well in spots for us last year but every year you have to be the best you can at evaluating players,'' Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. ''It was just a lack of consistency plus the fact that we had an opportunity to get a guy like Dwan Edwards.''

Hurney called Edwards ''the ultimate pro'' and a player with tremendous work ethic.

Coach Ron Rivera was pleased with the move and feels it will be an upgrade for the Panthers defense.
''Dwan gives us something we didn't really see in training camp and that is a guy who's a dominant force at the three technique,'' Rivera said. ''We had a couple of guys that were young and learning and trying to develop and come back but didn't field what we were looking for. Dwan is a big physical guy who's explosive off the ball and is a vertical rusher. And that's what we're looking for.''
http://sports.yahoo....15596--nfl.html

#231 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,826 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

There must be more to this than just his play. No way they give up on him, based on play alone, so soon. He didn't even finish his rookie season, and Rivera had some good things to say...

it's not about mcclain. it's about edwards.

#232 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Coach speak. Play on the field did not show good things.

#233 Simple and Plain

Simple and Plain

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hadn't McClain tumbled down the depth chart before Dwan was even available... based on when he was playing in preseason games.

#234 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

So Rivera praises Edwards' work ethic when asked about McClain. Coach speak for "McClain was lazy."

#235 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hadn't McClain tumbled down the depth chart before Dwan was even available... based on when he was playing in preseason games.

Seemed that way.

#236 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,004 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

"but but but, coach Rivera told the media.."

lol.

Good move. Gimme another guy with some experience at CB and I'm stoked.

#237 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

We went from really young in the middle of the dline to fairly old (assuming Ron and Dwan stay healthy). If Fua doesn't show something this year, I guess that means we will be looking at DT's next year in the draft again.

#238 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,583 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

You'd think he did, but just the other day on Panthers.com he was listed as the starter opposite of Edwards.

#239 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,537 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

I must have misunderstood, I read it like Dwan was a 0, rather than a three. However, as bad as we got carved up the middle last year two 0's would make some sense as well.

I looks like should be pretty stout against the run, if we can force offenses into being one dimensional it'll bode well for us...as long as we can manufacture either a pass rush or solid secondary.

#240 Simple and Plain

Simple and Plain

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

You'd think he did, but just the other day on Panthers.com he was listed as the starter opposite of Edwards.

Listed where though? Team depth charts aren't very informative usually. What happens in the games is though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.