Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Car Rondwan?

#257 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,779 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Not sure that's entirely correct. Had we felt McClain was developing nicely and had a future, we could have "discovered" that he had sore ribs or a bad back or knee problems, and stashed him on IR.

They obviously were disappointed in McClain for whatever reason, and I suspect it went beyond just his play on the field.

they wanted to be better. they picked up a better player. they cut the guy that was the weak link.

it's got everything to do with them wanting to pick up dwan and improve the interior. it wasn't a matter of "man, that mcclain fella just doesn't get it. we've got to replace him somehow..."

they simply saw that they weren't getting what they wanted from the guys they had playing that spot and saw a proven commodity in dwan that they knew they had to go get because he would make a weak spot strong. they went out and got him and just made room for him by cutting the guy that just happened to be the weak link.

#258 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

they wanted to be better. they picked up a better player. they cut the guy that was the weak link.

it's got everything to do with them wanting to pick up dwan and improve the interior. it wasn't a matter of "man, that mcclain fella just doesn't get it. we've got to replace him somehow..."

they simply saw that they weren't getting what they wanted from the guys they had playing that spot and saw a proven commodity in dwan that they knew they had to go get because he would make a weak spot strong. they went out and got him and just made room for him by cutting the guy that just happened to be the weak link.

I agree the opportunity to get Edwards was the driving factor. At the same time, they would not have just dumped McClain if they thought he had something to offer, especially given the uncertainty of Neblett's status ( I don't believe he has returned to practice yet from his illness).

Someday, we will probably hear exactly what it was about McClain that left them ready to dump him now, rather than finding a way to stash him on IR.

#259 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 5,170 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

Dude I'm sure he will get tackles. But honestly who cares about DROTY when wins are more important. Plus having 2 DTs that are beefy and command 4 guys to just guard them is going to make it a little more easy job for our LBers to get to the the QB and allow our LBers to play more in the passing coverage game whether then be up on LOS to try and stop the run all game. Whether have Luke defend against the pass and covering TEs then have him at the LOS all game trying to stop the run. Screw the ROTY crap. Wins are more importan by far.

Pssst. . .I was joking ;)

#260 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,779 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

I agree the opportunity to get Edwards was the driving factor. At the same time, they would not have just dumped McClain if they thought he had something to offer, especially given the uncertainty of Neblett's status ( I don't believe he has returned to practice yet from his illness).

Someday, we will probably hear exactly what it was about McClain that left them ready to dump him now, rather than finding a way to stash him on IR.

i think we already have...

"Terrell played well in spots for us last year but every year you have to be the best you can at evaluating players," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. "It was just a lack of consistency plus the fact that we had an opportunity to get a guy like Dwan Edwards."
http://espn.go.com/n...terrell-mcclain

i doubt we ever get more of an answer than that and even though i'm sure he and hurney will be asked about it the answer will probably always go back to that.

he just wasn't consistent enough. i'm satisfied with that. he probably had just reached his peak and they realized that he just wasn't going to get anymore consistent or really better than he had and it the very least he had what they saw a low ceiling and just didn't feel he was worth any extra effort when they could have someone like dwan.

i don't need to know particulars. when the season winds down i doubt anyone will be second guessing it aside from the usual group that are just going to complain about anything and everything.

#261 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

I agree that Dwan being available was the deciding factor, but I don't think this has nothing to do with McClain. If he wasn't progressing so terribly, he wouldn't be playing with the 4th stringers in preseason even before Dwan became available. You think Rivera thought McClain was expendable (and I agree, of course), but I also believe that Rivera thought that McClain was terrible too. Some people on here seem to think that Rivera spotting trash and trimming the fat so quickly is a bad thing. Maybe this is why Rivera can field a top defense and other coaches can't. Rivera doesn't care what picks we used on a player. This doesn't even begin to factor for him. If you suck and you're not improving, you're not welcome on this team. I'm shocked that people on here aren't embracing this aggressive approach to running a team which is completely different than what Fox would have done. Didn't we want change?

#262 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,971 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

We should add that we picked up D'Wan in the thread title just to make this seem more positive haha

We got better today guys and it's at the most important area: the trenches

Good sh*t

#263 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

I didn't think it was possible but the bitching and moaning in this thread is worse than people complaining about Armanti...

McClain was about as useful as a football bat. The guy had physical tools but got owned in the trenches. We upgraded. Made a move and now the interior of our line may have become another strength on D. Edwards and Edwards. 2 big hogs clogging the middle....

"wahhhh wahhhh why not Fua...why is the Jimmehz still here wahhhhhh"

Dwan > McClain

Let's start threads about how the Bucs are gonna get that ass clapped pap pap pap

Lol aren't these the same people that were down on McClain when our undrafted DT's finished out the year and out performed Fua an McClain?

#264 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,779 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

I agree that Dwan being available was the deciding factor, but I don't think this has nothing to do with McClain. If he wasn't progressing so terribly, he wouldn't be playing with the 4th stringers in preseason even before Dwan became available. You think Rivera thought McClain was expendable (and I agree, of course), but I also believe that Rivera thought that McClain was terrible too. Some people on here seem to think that Rivera spotting trash and trimming the fat so quickly is a bad thing. Maybe this is why Rivera can field a top defense and other coaches can't. Rivera doesn't care what picks we used on a player. This doesn't even begin to factor for him. If you suck and you're not improving, you're not welcome on this team. I'm shocked that people on here aren't embracing this aggressive approach to running a team which is completely different than what Fox would have done. Didn't we want change?

it could be that as well...probably both.

had an overall meh feeling about mcclain. saw that dwan available. pulled that trigger. they wanted dwan and took no time pondering who to cut because they knew what they had (rather didn't have) in zod's future pro-bowl choice of mcclain.

#265 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,698 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Of all the people to cut, McClain was not the one I would have guessed would get waived. I had Jimmy, Armanti, Fua, even the Center from SD, Byers? Before McClain.

Just baffled by the cut. Great addition though. Wish Dwan was a little younger.

#266 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,779 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

they had the numbers they needed at each position group.

they weren't going to cut a QB to pick up a DT...at least not at this point.

they knew what they wanted. mcclain wasn't bringing it. they found someone who could. mcclain was the logical choice.

any roster moves they make where they shore up a weak spot at the top will probably be addressed in the same way starting off the season.

#267 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,568 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

I guess Kuechly can forget about DRoY. How is he going to rack up the tackles if teams can't run on us?

Sacks and Int's!

#268 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,568 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

You're not disagreeing with anyone on here about Clausen. You're disagreeing with Hurney/Rivera. They want 3 QBs on the roster (as of today at least). I don't know why you feel the need to get upset over something that won't change. If your coach wants 3 QBs, then that's that. It is what it is. There's really no other options at 3rd QB than Clausen either. I'm not saying there aren't better players with more upside, but if we really wanted to replace Clausen we would have given other QBs time with this offense first. If you want 3 QBs, then you...kinda need 3 QBs.

TL;DR Rivera wants 3 QBs. Get over it.

I'm over it, I just wish I could understand it.

#269 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

I just realized that, assuming Norman plays #2 in nickle situations, which is about half our snaps, we will have 6 out of 11 new people on D this year. Both Edwards, Beason and Kuechly, Nakamura, and Norman.

My guess is we are going to be much better. This is not even close to the defense we put on the field last year.

#270 Rook35200

Rook35200

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Am I inb4Edwardswall?!?! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.