468 replies to this topic

#331 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,816 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

Seriously i am very angry,
Releasing a third round after his rookie season is wrong and stupid, or we are missing something?

would you rather notice early on that he just isn't getting it and cut your losses or keep him around because you spent an early(ish) draft pick on him and it's only been a year or so.

every draft pick is a gamble. you never know if they have what it takes to make it on the next level. some have talent and potential that you spot and think you can build on...but you don't know that they will. all teams screw up draft picks. panthers aren't any different that any other team in that regard. no better. no worse. it happens.

i trust rivera's judgment and ability to spot those who have it and who don't. he's been there and he's been around a long time. i'm glad they had the balls to acknowledge that mcclain just wasn't going to give them what they wanted and did something about it.

it shouldn't take long to see who has the drive and determination to make it. it shouldn't take long to see who's willing to put in the necessary work. it shouldn't take long to see if they have enough potential to warrant keeping them around. it shouldn't have taken long for them to figure out that mcclain just wasn't going to be what they hoped...and it didn't.

#332 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

Kearse is a 3-tech, not a NT. While he has played NT some for us, that's not his actual or natural position.

Krease is 6'5 325 and has little to no pass rush ability. There is not a more natural position for him then NT. He is a natural space eater just on body size alone.

#333 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,434 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

Everette Brown was a 2nd round pick and we released him after 2 seasons. People didn't bitch about that, because he sucks.

So does McClain.

Seriously, get over it.

#334 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Everette Brown was a 2nd round pick and we released him after 2 seasons. People didn't bitch about that, because he sucks.

So does McClain.

Seriously, get over it.

I think people are more bitching about how Armanti and Clausen are still here.

Plus Brown got 2 season and was cut in TC leading to his 3rd season. McClain got 1 years and really 1 offseason. The situations do not compare.

#335 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Has the FO gave a reason for this ish?!?

You cant go cutting 1-3 round draft picks after one season!

#336 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,816 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

I think people are more bitching about how Armanti and Clausen are still here.

Plus Brown got 2 season and was cut in TC leading to his 3rd season. McClain got 1 years and really 1 offseason. The situations do not compare.

sure they do. this coaching staff wasn't willing to spend more time on a player that they knew wasn't going to cut it regardless of when and what round they were drafted in. coaches call.

one year...two years...three years...doesn't matter. they didn't see what they want and parted ways when presented with a better option.

#337 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,816 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Has the FO gave a reason for this ish?!?

You cant go cutting 1-3 round draft picks after one season!

sure you can.

not sure what the problem is.

if they aren't going to live up to your expectations and you need the space to bring in someone who can then you cut them.

i swear this is a fickle fan base. bitch and moan when they hang on to someone too long and when they cut ties early on then bitch and moan some more.

the reason for this "ish" was that they saw an opportunity to pick up a vet 3 tech guy that could give them what they wanted and then they cut a guy that played the same position but wasn't going able to live up to their expectations. it just so happens that guy was drafted in the 3rd round last year. not a big deal. shocker i know but sometimes draft picks don't live up to their potential.

#338 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

sure you can.

not sure what the problem is.

if they aren't going to live up to your expectations and you need the space to bring in someone who can then you cut them.

i swear this is a fickle fan base. bitch and moan when they hang on to someone too long and when they cut ties early on then bitch and moan some more.

the reason for this "ish" was that they saw an opportunity to pick up a vet 3 tech guy that could give them what they wanted and then they cut a guy that played the same position but wasn't going able to live up to their expectations. it just so happens that guy was drafted in the 3rd round last year. not a big deal. shocker i know but sometimes draft picks don't live up to their potential.

How in the world are you gonna know if they are gonna live up to expectations after ONE (ROOKIE) season?!?! If that was the case some of the all time greats would have been cut and never given the chance to become what they became.

High draft picks are investments. Investments generally take time.

Sure if we simply have ZERO other people to cut and HAD to cut Mclain then I might cut understand, but we had plenty of players that we could have cut.

#339 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

sure they do. this coaching staff wasn't willing to spend more time on a player that they knew wasn't going to cut it regardless of when and what round they were drafted in. coaches call.

one year...two years...three years...doesn't matter. they didn't see what they want and parted ways when presented with a better option.

Your pretty naive if you think off the field issues were not at play here.

#340 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

I guess Kuechly can forget about DRoY. How is he going to rack up the tackles if teams can't run on us?

Good DT play increase his odds of making plays....Better DT play keeps OL off the LB. May not increase his tackles....but allows for those to be better plays for the D

#341 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,816 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

How in the world are you gonna know if they are gonna live up to expectations after ONE (ROOKIE) season?!?! If that was the case some of the all time greats would have been cut and never given the chance to become what they became.

High draft picks are investments. Investments generally take time.

Sure if we simply has ZERO other people to cut and HAD to cut Mclain then I might cut understand, but we had plenty of players that we could have cut.

if you ain't got it, you ain't got it. he ain't got it. apparently they saw enough in him to know that he wasn't going to develop much beyond where he was now. they see him a lot more than any of us. how long does it take to tell if someone is going to be able to grasp their job or not and/or if they are really worth the hassle/investment of keeping them around for longer. with some people it just doesn't take long to tell. good talent evaluators can tell pretty quickly who they think can make it and who can't.

i think rivera qualifies as a good talent evaluator or at least he should after all these years in the league.

if dwan edwards hadn't been picked up, mcclain would likely still be on the team. they saw an opportunity to improve and cut the weak link. it doesn't matter who that weak link was, how they were obtained, or even how much they cost. they made the right move because it made the team better.

#342 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,816 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Your pretty naive if you think off the field issues were not at play here.

did i say they weren't? the bigger issue was, tho, that they saw an opportunity to improve and cut the weak link to make room. for whatever reason...mcclain was the weak link. it doesn't matter why.

#343 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Your pretty naive if you think on the field issues were not at play here.

fixed that for you.

#344 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

What is Armanti ever going to be really?

I have a problem giving up on a player after 1 year. That you spent a high pick on. While you keep banging your head against the wall after 3 years for another player.

#345 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,816 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

What is Armanti ever going to be really?

I have a problem giving up on a player after 1 year. That you spent a high pick on. While you keep banging your head against the wall after 3 years for another player.

how long does it take to find out someone's level of talent or their potential and their ability to reach that potential?

for some people it takes time. for others...not so much.

it's going to be different for everyone...both players and evaluators.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.