468 replies to this topic

#106 TheOracle

TheOracle

Know-It-All

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

You have been spot on in this whole ordeal my friend. I do not know what the majority of us here think good DT play looks like. Really glad that the FO does not share the same backwards opinions as those on this board.

Please do not use the words "out of favor" to mean the same thing as "not getting the job done", because that's not what it means on the Panthers. They will keep you around as long as they can if they "like you". They will ignore the fact that you can't stay on the field, they will ignore the fact that you aren't good enough to see any action, they will ignore the fact that you're worse than some other guys they release or let walk...as long as they "like you".

There are a lot more guys still on this team who are less deserving of a roster spot than McClain was. I DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT MCCLAIN, my problem is the same as it's always been, and that's why Marty "Big Heart" Hurney's way of doing things.

Just picked up a guy yesterday coming off an Achilles injury. Did he not learn his leason from Hogan? I don't care what position the guy plays or whether he'll even stick around...IT'S JUST DUMB.

#107 TheOracle

TheOracle

Know-It-All

• HUDDLER
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Which is why everyone is laughing at you.

My sense of self-whatever is not tied to what other people think, so who cares? I don't, but apparently you think I do since you wasted your time telling me.

#108 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

I remember last game someone saying. Wow McClain getting pressure again. He is killing it. It was because Pittsburgh ran a screen that he got "pressure". Keiser sniffed it out and didn't get credit.

#109 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

we are rock solid at DT now... with a couple of veteran guys, so happy. mcclain sucked, was getting stonewalled in the 4th qtr of preseason games by scrubs. really wont be missing the guy

#110 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

You have been spot on in this whole ordeal my friend. I do not know what the majority of us here think good DT play looks like. Really glad that the FO does not share the same backwards opinions as those on this board.

Thank you. I have said it a million times before and its 100% true that when watching live you follow the football and get caught up in the emotions of the game. When you go back and watch a 2nd time when your not emotionally invested then you can critique each individual much more objectively.. I have been doing this a lot lately. I reccomend everyone do it. The board will be smarter and more appreciative of the front office decisions if they do.

#111 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

Seeing a lot of stuff about work ethic on the twitter verse, guess they felt he wasn't responding to the coaches well enough.

#112 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

#113 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Seeing a lot of stuff about work ethic on the twitter verse, guess they felt he wasn't responding to the coaches well enough.

I knew something was up. Thanks for this.

#114 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,216 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

So am I the only one who thinks there isn't much of a difference between McClain and Fua?  The only reason people think McClain is better is because he would on occasion get into the backfield but he was much, much worse as a run defender.  I believe PFF agrees with me as well as IIRC, they had Fua higher rated than him.  Obviously PFF isn't always 100% accurate but I don't see why so many people think McClain was so much better than Fua and at the end of the day, maybe Rivera just prefers guys who are better at playing the run at DT?  McClain is worthless at it and doesn't really have the build to ever develop into that kind of guy.

I guess for me I don't think it would have mattered who would have gotten cut between the two.  Both are bad.  But Fua at least has the build to offer something as a run stuffer.  McClain does not.

You are correct. PFF graded McClain as a -17.8 for the season, Fua as a -6.6. Fua had two games at 2.0 during the year, McClain had only one positive grade the entire year (1.6)

#115 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thank you. I have said it a million times before and its 100% true that when watching live you follow the football and get caught up in the emotions of the game. When you go back and watch a 2nd time when your not emotionally invested then you can critique each individual much more objectively.. I have been doing this a lot lately. I reccomend everyone do it. The board will be smarter and more appreciative of the front office decisions if they do.

same i go back and watch the same play maybe 10-12 times sometimes more, and see who was doing their job and who wasn't. its an obsession really.

whenever i went back and watched mcclain, i was thoroughly unimpressed... course even a broken clock is right twice a day.

#116 scratchy1

scratchy1

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Not a Hurney move.

#117 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Run stopper is something gets thrown out to defend a poor DL play because it is difficult to prove. In Fua's case I wouldn't call him a stopper of anything unless you call getting pushed back 5 yards and making a tackle for an eight yard gain, a run stopper.

#118 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

we are rock solid at DT now... with a couple of veteran guys, so happy. mcclain sucked, was getting stonewalled in the 4th qtr of preseason games by scrubs. really wont be missing the guy

we are improved, but far from rock solid. Ron Edwards is old as dirt. DT is still a draft need.

#119 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

but I thought RR felt good about our defensive line?

gotta remember that when he said that, he quotes the last five weeks of the year (Neblett started the first 4, and Kearse started three of those with him plus the finale).
The rookies aren't a part of that. They were done by then.

The hope is that, now they're not relying on McClain to be a growth guy, they can get in new growth.

#120 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,944 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Rivera seems like a big heart/effort/loves to play football guy.

I would assume McClain may have lacked some of that....that to date seems to be the only way to get in the Rivera bad side

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com