• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,161 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

in before "you guys can't even get your story straight. half are calling him a DE in a 3-4 while the other is calling him a 5-tech. you don't know nothing!!"

not saying that TCF specifically is going to say that, btw.

#17 xerxes

xerxes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

One of things I appreciate about coming here is learning more about the more technical aspects of football because many posters on this board have a more in-depth understanding of the game than I do.

So for those who want to read more about the difference between a 3 Tech and a DT. Here's a decent breakdown of the difference if you weren't aware.

http://football.cals...ensiveLine.html

There was a better one posted on this board a while back that had all the gap positions, but I couldn't find it. If anybody has a better one, or wants to add to the explanation, go for it.

Based on what Rivera said, clearly he views D Edwards as a 3 Tech, so R Edwards and Fua will be our NTs.

Rivera on D Edwards (credit panther4life for finding the quote):
"I think Dwan Edwards gives us something we've been looking for and didn't see in training camp and thats a dominant force at the 3 tech. We had a couple guys that were young and learning and trying to devlop in and trying to come back from situatiions and we didnt see what we were looking for. What Dwan brings is to the table is he's a big physical guy who is exlplosive off the ball and gets vertical push and hes veteran guy that a lot of the guys already know."

#18 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

in before "you guys can't even get your story straight. half are calling him a DE in a 3-4 while the other is calling him a 5-tech. you don't know nothing!!"

not saying that TCF specifically is going to say that, btw.

You realize that 5tech is the DE position in a 3-4, right? We are saying the same thing except I am using technical terms. Lol.

edit: Oh, I get the sarcasm now.

#19 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,654 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Having him will also give us a true nose tackle, when we run 3-4 packages

CJ, Edwards, Hardy
With
Davis, Anderson, Beason, Keuchly

Is that better Zod?

Well almost.
If he played NT.

He is an undertackle. a 3tech.

If we did set up for 3-4 it would be more.

Edwards/Edwards/CJ
Davis/Keek/Beason/Applewhite.

But you mean well and I like your enthusiasm.

#20 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

SeƱor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

Getting ron back and signing dwan vastly improves our defensive tackle play. As has been pointed out, they can both play quality snaps when we want to give a 3-4 look. It sucks that mclain didn't develop, but the team will be a lot better with this version of the line.

#21 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...terrell-mcclain

Article that has to do with the topic.

Marty's responses to some questions were also telling about what they thought about McClain.

We definitely got an upgrade... I'm happy, and no longer confused

#22 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

:dead: at the last paragraph. Nice jab by ESPN to throw that in there.

#23 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,161 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

But you mean well and I like your enthusiasm.

Posted Image

#24 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • 2,346 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

To keep the signing of Former Bills player Dwan Edwards in proper perspective.Just remember his release by them was a move that many expected might come given the fact that Edwards was set to earn $3.8 million in base salary this season.

Edwards consistently ran with the second-team defense throughout training camp and pre-season action, but was largely unremarkable in said work.,according to reports.

#25 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,370 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

To keep the signing of Former Bills player Dwan Edwards in proper perspective.Just remember his release by them was a move that many expected might come given the fact that Edwards was set to earn $3.8 million in base salary this season.

Edwards consistently ran with the second-team defense throughout training camp and pre-season action, but was largely unremarkable in said work.,according to reports.

Unremarkable > McClain

#26 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• HUDDLER
  • 6,972 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

I don't understand how some of you don't get what a 3-4 Package is, Anderson, Beason, Keuchly, Davis is a not a 3-4 LB core. The middle linebackers sure, maybe even one off the edge blitzing or falling back into coverage. But you need a big, physical, athletic pass rusher on one end that is capable of playing DE. For instance TD is a 4-3 LB at 6-1 235 lbs. Mario Williams is a 3-4 LB at 6-6 292 lbs. So you will most likely never see those 4 on the field at the same time.

#27 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,917 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

:dead: at the last paragraph. Nice jab by ESPN to throw that in there.

Especially because, well, wasn't Eric Shelton a 2nd round pick? Yay ESPN!!!

#28 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I don't understand how some of you don't get what a 3-4 Package is, Anderson, Beason, Keuchly, Davis is a not a 3-4 LB core. The middle linebackers sure, maybe even one off the edge blitzing or falling back into coverage. But you need a big, physical, athletic pass rusher on one end that is capable of playing DE. For instance TD is a 4-3 LB at 6-1 235 lbs. Mario Williams is a 3-4 LB at 6-6 292 lbs. So you will most likely never see those 4 on the field at the same time.

Actually Mario Williams is way bigger than most 3-4 OLBs. He's also back to playing a DE in Buffalos 4-3.

#29 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,120 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Actually Mario Williams is way bigger than most 3-4 OLBs. He's also back to playing a DE in Buffalos 4-3.

Points remains the same, look at Demarcus Ware. I chuckle every time someone mentions a 3-4 because we have good LB's. We now have the personnel to run a 34, but we're still very much a 43 base.

I know with many I'm preaching to the choir, but the ignorance that looms here is as annoying as it is entertaining.

#30 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Points remains the same, look at Demarcus Ware. I chuckle every time someone mentions a 3-4 because we have good LB's. We now have the personnel to run a 34, but we're still very much a 43 base.

I know with many I'm preaching to the choir, but the ignorance that looms here is as annoying as it is entertaining.

Oh yeah, SBVG point is straight on. Just thought Mario was a bad example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com