Photo
- - - - -

How Big Of A Disadvantage Is It To Play A 'New' Head Coach In The Season Opener?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#46 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

schiano is no harbaugh.
harbaugh was by far he exception to the rule that college level coaches fail as coaches in the NFL. why did he succeed? one word.......experience. he had it on the pro level as a player and as a coach(albeit in a limited capacity in that regard).

There also is no comparison between the quality of the 49er's roster when Harbaugh took over vs the Bucs roster.

The Bucs offseason acquisitions were good, but San Fran was loaded for Harbaugh.

#47 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,722 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

True but i think Greg will have a big hand in the defense. It is his background.

Problem for them is that Schiano has little to no experience as a DC at the NFL level. That was Miami in 1999-2000. Miami was pretty good that year but the question is how much of his experience over a decade ago still applies to what works 12 years later. Given how offenses have changed in the past decade, will his experience still suffice? Even all his accolades at Rutgers was in 2006 almost 6 years ago. While his throwback reputation sounds good, throwback in the NFL is synonymous with dinosaur. He reminds me of a guy like Lou Holtz, good in college but outmatched in the pro ranks.

#48 Nine_Lives

Nine_Lives

The Notorious GrG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationNever neverland

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

There also is no comparison between the quality of the 49er's roster when Harbaugh took over vs the Bucs roster.

The Bucs offseason acquisitions were good, but San Fran was loaded for Harbaugh.

On the defensive side of the ball yes.

#49 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,308 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

On the defensive side of the ball yes.

Vernon Davis
Crabtree
Gore
Morgan
A monster OLine
A game manager QB
Ginn

Damn good team to me

#50 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,308 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Don't forget Butch Davis who can't be on our roster due to contractual demands with the tarheels.

Schiano is the head coach who manages the team. We have veteran coordinators, including OC Sullivan who coached Eli Manning for the last 4 yrs, who call the plays on sundays.

Alot of you who say it's not an advantage will be the same ones saying the oppisite if the Bucs win.

Oppisite?

Take a hike.

#51 Nine_Lives

Nine_Lives

The Notorious GrG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Vernon Davis
Crabtree
Gore
A monster OLine
A game manager QB
Ginn

Hmm Davis and Gore maybe, the rest came on last season.

Jackson, Williams, Clark, Freeman, their OL is good, Blount (a Gore clone) and the rookie Martin is a better group of players imo.

#52 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hmm Davis and Gore maybe, the rest came on last season.

Jackson, Williams, Clark, Freeman, their OL is good, Blount (a Gore clone) and the rookie Martin is a better group of players imo.

See, it's statements like these that cause people to call you a troll. Even you can't believe that Tampa has as good an offensive roster as San Fran. Better? That is even more laughable.

#53 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,947 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

Be prepare to see Schiano try running the ball a lot, a lot with Martin.

#54 Nine_Lives

Nine_Lives

The Notorious GrG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

See, it's statements like these that cause people to call you a troll. Even you can't believe that Tampa has as good an offensive roster as San Fran. Better? That is even more laughable.

You are taking it out of context.

Going into last season Smith was a bust. Its why SF drafted a quarterback. Freeman on the other hand is a player on the rise. San frans offense consisted of Gore/Davis. Greg Schiano has much better talent on offense in his 1st season then Harbaugh did in his. Lol why do you think the 9ners went out and signed/up-graded their offense this season?

#55 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,738 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

Schiano is the head coach who manages the team. We have veteran coordinators, including OC Sullivan who coached Eli Manning for the last 4 yrs, who call the plays on sundays.

Uh, wrong. Sullivan was the QB coach for Eli the last TWO years, he coached their WR's before then. Even so, he's never had to design plays, routes, gameplan for an entire defense or play the chess game that goes on with the opposite DC.

http://www.buccaneer...dd-e30e7ed36153

He's has the task of outsmarting a very accomplished Ron Rivera and the McDermott, with an avg QB, coming off a crap year with ZERO prior experience.

We, however, have a better D than last season, our Pro Bowl MLB back and the future DROY. Nevermind proven vets like Chris Gamble, Thomas Davis, Charles Johnson and James Anderson.

I applaud your enthusiasm and attempt to make chicken salad from chicken shlt but it's just not working.

#56 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,429 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

Uh, wrong. Sullivan was the QB coach for Eli the last TWO years, he coached their WR's before then. Even so, he's never had to design plays, routes, gameplan for an entire defense or play the chess game that goes on with the opposite DC.

http://www.buccaneer...dd-e30e7ed36153

He's has the task of outsmarting a very accomplished Ron Rivera and the McDermott, with an avg QB, coming off a crap year with ZERO prior experience.

We, however, have a better D than last season, our Pro Bowl MLB back and the future DROY. Nevermind proven vets like Chris Gamble, Thomas Davis, Charles Johnson and James Anderson.

I applaud your enthusiasm and attempt to make chicken salad from chicken shlt but it's just not working.

coffee....thru the nose....hurts so bad.

#57 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,809 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

Rivera has already made the statement we needed to make a point in this game so I totally expect us to come out and not let up till the 4th Qt. Thats bad news for any Run first team.

#58 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

You are taking it out of context.

Going into last season Smith was a bust. Its why SF drafted a quarterback. Freeman on the other hand is a player on the rise. San frans offense consisted of Gore/Davis. Greg Schiano has much better talent on offense in his 1st season then Harbaugh did in his. Lol why do you think the 9ners went out and signed/up-graded their offense this season?

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

#59 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,307 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

I think it is pretty simple. game comes down to turnovers. Cam just needs to remember he has TONS of weapons. Not the best matchup to ask Smitty to make a play that isn't there. Do that....and we win.

#60 Nine_Lives

Nine_Lives

The Notorious GrG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Yeah i'm not a big fan but i think he's better than Smith when when Harbaugh took over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com