Photo
- - - - -

Wall and Mayo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

Anyone think there could be a similarity in their recruitment? The fact that Miami is apparently a serious contender just makes me think there is a bidding war going on. He has literally ZERO reason to seriously consider Miami.

They are at best a sweet 16 team with him

They are 12 hours from his mother

They are losing their best player

His career will essentially be in a place that LOVES football, will be decent at best in basketball, and will not be near his family.

When you could go to Duke, Kentucky, or even NCSU (who I think are all in better situations than Miami for him) then I think there is something going on under the table.

#2 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

I tried to tell you this Wall thing was a mess. He is a great talent, but he has Clifton stink all over him...I really believe that Roy's call was to see what that relationship was, and when it was the same, peace out!

#3 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

I dont think this is the same situation. First of all, John Wall had said all along he was going to honor his visit to Miami, which not many believed, but then he ended up going and enjoying his time down there. Who wouldn't? Is Miami a player in this? I think so, but I don't think they end up getting Wall. They do lose McClinton, but they have a solid class coming in, granted it is nothing compared to Kentucky's or what Duke has already on campus, but it is not what you would think of for Miami, say 3 or even 2 years ago.

Clifton is involved for sure. Some say he is a father figure others say he is just using Wall to get a paycheck. I did read where he said yesterday, he will NOT be Wall's agent when he turns pro, which is what alot of people had thought. Who knows if that will remain or not. But I honestly do not think Coach K would keep Duke in the mix if it were a situation like OJ Mayo. I don't think Cal would either, because he already has a 5 star PG, granted not the best player in the country, but Bledsoe will do fine. Why would either team risk it?

Right now I know it is hard to accept, but I think NCSU and Miami are probably neck and neck with recruits. So for Miami to be even and a more desirable location then I could see why Miami makes the cut over NCSU. But like I said, I really don't think he ends up at Miami either way.

#4 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

I've had the same feeling myself, and I'm a lifelong Kentucky fan. I hope he goes to Duke.

#5 Britneck

Britneck

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

I read he is going to High Point.

#6 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

Right now I know it is hard to accept, but I think NCSU and Miami are probably neck and neck with recruits. So for Miami to be even and a more desirable location then I could see why Miami makes the cut over NCSU. But like I said, I really don't think he ends up at Miami either way.

Thats completely up for debate. After all, he lives in Raleigh. This is where is friends and family are. I would be willing to bet that Raleigh is the more desirable location for John just because of that.

Now that being said, I don't want John Wall to stay in Raleigh anyways. Like other people in this thread have said, this whole recruitment has a funny lil smell coming from it.

Plus, I would rather NC State use the last of their scholarships on Deshawn Painter if he decides to commit.

#7 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

Thats completely up for debate. After all, he lives in Raleigh. This is where is friends and family are. I would be willing to bet that Raleigh is the more desirable location for John just because of that.

Now that being said, I don't want John Wall to stay in Raleigh anyways. Like other people in this thread have said, this whole recruitment has a funny lil smell coming from it.

Plus, I would rather NC State use the last of their scholarships on Deshawn Painter if he decides to commit.

He committed tonight around 8. Great pickup for us..He is a much needed body and could end up being outstanding.

#8 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:02 AM

Is it up for debate for a 18 year old? Don't get me wrong I like the Raleigh area, but lets not say Miami isn't appealing for a freshman in college, espically a stud athlete to be surrounded by beautiful women and lots of pro athletes. But really its not the point.

It is over for NCSU and I think they got a great pickup in Painter. Congrats guys.

#9 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

Is it up for debate for a 18 year old? Don't get me wrong I like the Raleigh area, but lets not say Miami isn't appealing for a freshman in college, espically a stud athlete to be surrounded by beautiful women and lots of pro athletes. But really its not the point.

It is over for NCSU and I think they got a great pickup in Painter. Congrats guys.

Sure Miami is a great vacation/party destination, but know one really knows how much value Wall places on being close to his family and friends, which is what I was trying to get at.

He committed tonight around 8. Great pickup for us..He is a much needed body and could end up being outstanding.

I agree, he is a terrific pick-up for us. We had very few "true" big men that could produce next year, and Painter will definitely help that problem.

**True big man = not Dennis Horner**

#10 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

Its over for Duke too...He is all but a lock to UK.

#11 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:03 AM

Its over for Duke too...He is all but a lock to UK.

I agree he is a strong UK lean, but Duke is not out of it yet. I would be surprised if he ended up at Duke, but the longer it drags out the better for Duke. Duke has the luxury of being able to wait until the first day of classes for Wall (as does Miami), UK on the other hand is going to feel the pressure a bit, because they will have to make room for him, which they will do. However, if you think Cal is not feeling heat from the parents of the kids that will be let go for John Wall, then you do not have a great understanding of this recruitment (that is not directed at you unicar, "you" meaning anyone in general).

#12 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

I agree he is a strong UK lean, but Duke is not out of it yet. I would be surprised if he ended up at Duke, but the longer it drags out the better for Duke. Duke has the luxury of being able to wait until the first day of classes for Wall (as does Miami), UK on the other hand is going to feel the pressure a bit, because they will have to make room for him, which they will do. However, if you think Cal is not feeling heat from the parents of the kids that will be let go for John Wall, then you do not have a great understanding of this recruitment (that is not directed at you unicar, "you" meaning anyone in general).

Cal might be feeling heat but he isn't getting paid 5 mil a year (or whatever it is) to give a crap about what parents think. If he doesn't go to UK I'll be shocked at this point and if he goes to Miami then I think Haith will be looking for a job elsewhere (after a good season with Wall) and then an investigation will be pending....That is how little of a reason there is for him to go to Miami.

Personally, with a recruitment this high profile I think there could be an investigation pending no matter where he goes...Which is why I have compared him to OJ Mayo.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com