• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#46 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

Ricky Manning Jr was a pro bowl corner with these refs.

#47 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

I thought the officiating was decent all things considering.

I think the Giants are morons for not pressing coverage once they saw that the Cowboys could manhandle the receivers without drawing a flag. The giants were killed with slant routes which is partly due to thier injuries at corner, but also partly due to thier laid back coverage.

Take note McDermott

#48 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,630 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

We will need all the help we can get in the secondary. Lets keep these scrub refs

#49 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Here is what I liked about the Giants, our opponents in 2 weeks:

They struggled to protect Manning
They might have to play a rookie and a 5th CB
I am not that impressed with their safeties
They only have Bradshaw at RB, since their 1st round draft choilce is a fumbler
Their D got tired toward the end of the game--they played their best 3 rushers early and often, and ran out of gas.

Here is what I did not like:
Their pass rush is the best I have seen since the 85 Bears. They will attach Silatolu, Bell, and even Hangartner. Gross will even struggle. We better freeze them with some option. short passes, and the running game.
Can anybody cover VC?

#50 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

VC covers himself with those drops. More concerned with Nicks.

#51 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

The head ref was an 8th grade geography teacher from Idaho... Lol.

I love how they only point it out for replacement refs considering all of the regular officials have full-time jobs as well.

#52 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,191 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Word in camp was that Josh Norman was aggressive and physical - could be good if the refs miss it, but if we get a flag happy crew, it could shoot us in the foot.

Valid point. A different crew could be dropping flags all over the field.

The problem is inexperience. Seasoned refs know what to look for, these guys don't. Add in that the speed of the game is faster than anything they've seen before, and here we are.

#53 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

So if you're coaching right now, do you tell your guys to take advantage of this or do you take the high road?

Haha. You are assuming the entire group of replacement refs are going to be consistent. Wait until Sunday and each game is called completely different. We will see how happy you guys are then. If the whole season was called like Thursday, sure, that would be great. But unfortunately with an entire group of officials with zero NFL experience is going to yield wildly inconsistent results.

#54 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,191 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Haha. You are assuming the entire group of replacement refs are going to be consistent. Wait until Sunday and each game is called completely different. We will see how happy you guys are then. If the whole season was called like Thursday, sure, that would be great. But unfortunately with an entire group of officials with zero NFL experience is going to yield wildly inconsistent results.

See above.

Players (especially veterans) have a lot of subtle tricks they use to try to get away with stuff. Regular officials have some familiarity with those things and are used to looking for them at game speed. Yet even with those advantages, there's a fair amount they miss.

Guys who haven't seen those tricks before and who aren't used to the speed of an NFL game? The potential for successful cheating is exponentially higher.

The flip side? Yeah, you could get a flag happy crew that calls everything a penalty whether they can really say for certain if it was or not "just in case". And after last night, there is the possibility that's just what the NFL will tell them to do.

I'm honestly not sure which outcome would be worse.

#55 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,268 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'd tell my OL and DBs to get s little over aggressive....until the refs prove they are on top of it. I have seen tons of holding ignored in the preseason and DBs getting away with too much. better to take advantage of it than just being a victim of it?

First two drives should set the tone...hope Rivera adjusts to how the refs are calling it and plays that way.

#56 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,268 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

One other interesting point...the NFL has admitted they hand picked the very best from the different preseason crews to form the one we all watched last night. That was as good as it gets....this weekend we will see the bad. Prime time games will have the semi functional refs

#57 usmcpanthers

usmcpanthers

Professional Lurker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

Nicks has always torched us ugh

VC covers himself with those drops. More concerned with Nicks.

#58 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,191 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'm cringing at the thought of what we'll get :(

#59 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• HUDDLER
  • 13,879 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Cowgirls had 14 penalties. Refs miss calls in every game. They did a decent job.

#60 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,013 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

I remember reading that Norman was getting a few of his picks from blatant PIs during camp... hope him and Captain mug whomever they're manning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com