#1 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

With the first game just a little over 72 hours away I am hoping that for the second year in a row, a Panthers rookie sets the NFL on its ear.
The record for tackles in a season belongs to Chris Spielman, 195. He averaged 12.2 total tackles a game in 1994 and believe it or not, had zero sacks on the year.
Patrick Willis holds the rookie record with 174 tackles and 4 sacks, averaging 10.8 per game.
I have a feeling that Luke will be in both of these guy's neighborhoods as we approach our playoff run.
Kudos to all of you that called for this guy before the draft. I wanted Brockers, Poe or Cox but now I feel like we got the steal of the draft.
So, can a guy that had 191 tackles in 12 college games pull off the statistical shocker of the year?

#2 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Why Not?

#3 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,550 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

With the first game just a little over 72 hours away I am hoping that for the second year in a row, a Panthers rookie sets the NFL on its ear.
The record for tackles in a season belongs to Chris Spielman, 195. He averaged 12.2 total tackles a game in 1994 and believe it or not, had zero sacks on the year.
Patrick Willis holds the rookie record with 174 tackles and 4 sacks, averaging 10.8 per game.
I have a feeling that Luke will be in both of these guy's neighborhoods as we approach our playoff run.
Kudos to all of you that called for this guy before the draft. I wanted Brockers, Poe or Cox but now I feel like we got the steal of the draft.
So, can a guy that had 191 tackles in 12 college games pull off the statistical shocker of the year?

Yes I believe he could. Also send me my Cam Newton Gatorade. <3

#4 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,086 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

wouldn't surprise me, he was in on just about every play in the preseason. dude is going to be a phenom.

#5 Care-Oh-Linuh

Care-Oh-Linuh

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationKannapolis, NC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

He most certainly has the talent to achieve those records. I say yes!

#6 shinallsm

shinallsm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Second coming of Dan Morgan.... just healthier

#7 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

• HUDDLER
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Gimme 13 tackles in game 1 Luke. That will start it.

#8 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

The only thing that will limit his tackle opportunities is Anderson and Beason being on the same field.

#9 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,035 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Are we all forgetting that the 49ers had an awful team when Willis got the record? I'd rather Kuechly not get the record because not only does this stat not signify that we have a good defense, but because this record could also mean that we have a lousy defense with only one good tackler. DROY is good enough for me.

#10 Panthers4lyfe

Panthers4lyfe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

i think he can.. luke is a friggin stud

#11 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

• HUDDLER
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Are we all forgetting that the 49ers had an awful team when Willis got the record? I'd rather Kuechly not get the record because not only does this stat not signify that we have a good defense, but because this record could also mean that we have a lousy defense with only one good tackler. DROY is good enough for me.

I can totally agree with what you have said.
But I want the record and a good defensive year. Maybe too much to ask, but I'm asking anyway.

#12 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,190 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

Where'd you get your stats SIGCHI? Last time I checked, tackles are an unofficial stat, so if he broke either record, it wouldn't be "official."

Regardless, I think he's fully capable of breaking either or both this season, he has an instinct for the ball that I've NEVER seen before in Panthers history.

#13 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,794 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

I'm gonna say no, simply because Beason and Anderson are both tackle machines too. Beason finished in the top 3 for the NFL in tackles for each of his full seasons I believe, and James finished in the top 5 or so last season.

#14 panthernation23

panthernation23

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

honestly i think luke as a rookie might have more instinct then beason. kinda crazy skills i saw in preseason

#15 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

• HUDDLER
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Where'd you get your stats SIGCHI? Last time I checked, tackles are an unofficial stat, so if he broke either record, it wouldn't be "official."

Regardless, I think he's fully capable of breaking either or both this season, he has an instinct for the ball that I've NEVER seen before in Panthers history.

Got bored at work and started with Google and Wiki. You are correct in they are not over on nfl.com but if you keep looking several sites corroborate.
Trust me, he gets to 196 tackles and the only place anyone will have to look to find out who holds the tackle record is right here on the Huddle. We will let EVERYBODY know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kuechly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com