Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beason to start and Munnerlyn to play #2

110 posts in this topic

Posted

Way to read the whole thing. Gamble can't cover Jackson 1 on 1 either, so I would rather have him guard someone he could shut down, rather than have our safeties have to play cover 2 all game.

In his prime and wanting to play....who do you suggest are all these far more talented WRs? Moss is likely the best deep threat in NFL history

If this wasn't asking "who are these more talented receivers than VJax", disregard my inclusion of this quote

It seems to be VJax is getting a bit more credit from some on this board than he deserves. He is a fine WR, but Gamble either shut down or nearly shut down far superior WRs last year. Fitzgerald and Calvin are WAY better than VJax and neither of them had good games with Gamble covering them. Roddy White is probably better than VJax too. I feel confident in Gamble's ability to cover him. He might not "shut him down" i.e. 0 receptions, but I doubt Jackson has a great game against us with Gamble covering him.

1 person likes this

Posted

i'm hoping his regression continues, but josh freeman has burned us in the past even when we had a legit defense and pass rush.

I was a huge Freeman fan when he was coming into the NFL. I knew he would succeed as a rookie but eventually teams would figure him out. He'll be a sub-par QB for the rest of his career and you can quote me on that. He might have some luck against our crummy secondary but he doesn't have what Newton has, nobody is going to figure out Newton's game.

Posted

Haven't anything good from McD bc all he knows is bringing the heat...and we havent attempted it or practiced a JJ scheme.

Teams didnt go E Carolina mode on Philly all those years

You're kinda missing what im saying sorta kinda... I want to be able to blitz and cover effectively and we have already proven we don't know how to blitz and when we do we are blitzing from the wrong spot due to a horrible called game from Mcdermott.( see the all out blitz against arizona game 1 of last year).. philly knew how to blitz and to be fair the rules have changed a tad since the days of JJ where it may or may not have worked as well for him now with all the whiny bitch penalties receivers get all game.

Posted

I was a huge Freeman fan when he was coming into the NFL. I knew he would succeed as a rookie but eventually teams would figure him out. He'll be a sub-par QB for the rest of his career and you can quote me on that. He might have some luck against our crummy secondary but he doesn't have what Newton has, nobody is going to figure out Newton's game.

i agree 100% but freeman is not competing directly against cam newton, he's competing against munnerlyn, and he's perfectly capable of putting the ball where captain can't get it (which is basically everywhere after five yards when captain's sumo wrestling technique is no longer legal)

Posted

Totally agree. Just don't know whose gonna get him the ball LOL.

Bc Josh Freeman is such a scrub?

Posted

You're kinda missing what im saying sorta kinda... I want to be able to blitz and cover effectively and we have already proven we don't know how to blitz and when we do we are blitzing from the wrong spot due to a horrible called game from Mcdermott.( see the all out blitz against arizona game 1 of last year).. philly knew how to blitz and to be fair the rules have changed a tad since the days of JJ where it may or may not have worked as well for him now with all the whiny bitch penalties receivers get all game.

We don't know what we can do as far as a JJ43 goes....never done it or practiced against an opponent.

A good blitz scheme helps people cover....and helps generate turnovers more importantly. Rule changes occured when JJ was still in Philly....and McD still was able to get the turnovers despite a lack of talent to run the scheme in Philly.

In order to be a good blitzing scheme....you practice it. See the teams we played in preseaon.

I don't expect an aggressive scheme....which makes me wonder why McD is here.

Posted

I don't think teams figured him out so much after 2010.....as it was they started 4-2 last year and then got stuck with Blount as their only option at RB. Tampa then telegraphed every play and was handicapped. If Blount went down instead of Graham....they would have been better off IMO

Posted

We don't know what we can do as far as a JJ43 goes....never done it or practiced against an opponent.

A good blitz scheme helps people cover....and helps generate turnovers more importantly. Rule changes occured when JJ was still in Philly....and McD still was able to get the turnovers despite a lack of talent to run the scheme in Philly.

In order to be a good blitzing scheme....you practice it. See the teams we played in preseaon.

I don't expect an aggressive scheme....which makes me wonder why McD is here.

I think he's gone next year.

Posted

Wow Norman must really have sucked more than I though he did.

Posted

It seems to be VJax is getting a bit more credit from some on this board than he deserves. He is a fine WR, but Gamble either shut down or nearly shut down far superior WRs last year. Fitzgerald and Calvin are WAY better than VJax and neither of them had good games with Gamble covering them. Roddy White is probably better than VJax too. I feel confident in Gamble's ability to cover him. He might not "shut him down" i.e. 0 receptions, but I doubt Jackson has a great game against us with Gamble covering him.

Vincent Jackson is getting praise because he can be a dangerous receiver.. if he gets 5 receptions for 89 yards like Megatron last year on Gamble then he's done his job and had a pretty good game..

225 yards? maybe not.. but he's moved the chains and possibly pulled coverage over his way..

Posted

Agreed we all know Jackson "can be" a dangerous receiver...when he has Phil Rivers throwing him the ball. It is yet to be determined what he can do with Josh Freeman (and I actually like Freeman as much as one can like a division rival player). Megatron "IS" a dangerous receiver and only got 89 yards. Compare that to how most of the rest of the league performed guarding him and I'd say Gamble was the one with the pretty good game.

Posted

If we are really going to start munnerlyn for the second season in a row it has to be seen as a major failure by our front office. This is even worse than that time we went into a season relying on crappy rookie DTs.