• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#136 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

I would laugh my ass off if the Saints** release Vilma by 5 to avoid a guaranteed contract.

team to vilma. "yeah bro! we'll watch your back! as it's heading right out the door sucka!"

#137 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

A little clarification from Florio...

NFL not required to prove "intent to injure"

Many of you have raised in the wake of Friday’s ruling from an internal appeals panel vacating the player suspensions and sending the bounty cases back to square one that, when Commissioner Roger Goodell imposes discipline the second time, he must prove the existence of “intent to injure.”

At the risk of being too blunt (then again, when has that ever stopped me?), that’s just wrong.

The ruling was simple. The labor deal gives authority to multiple people to resolve multiple types of disputes. The Commissioner has the authority to discipline players for conduct detrimental to the game. The “System Arbitrator” (Stephen Burbank) has the authority to resolve issues of discipline arising from salary-cap violations.

The suspensions of Saints* linebacker Jonathan Vilma, Saints* defensive end Will Smith, Browns linebacker Jonathan Vilma, and free-agent defensive end Anthony Hargrove were wiped out because the initial letters from the Commissioner to the suspended players failed to make sufficiently clear the fact that the Commissioner was acting only under his authority to suspend players for conduct detrimental to the game.

And so the process begins again, with the league office fully aware of the line between the two sources of authority — and with the league more than capable of staying in the proper lane the next time around.

But it doesn’t mean the Commissioner must prove the existence of specific intent to injure. That wasn’t part of the equation the first time, and it’s not part of the equation this time.

#138 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

awesome.

#139 bradael

bradael

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

they haven't. thread title went off wrong info.

goodell has to reword the suspension and the infractions.

some thought it meant gooddell got overruled or suspensions were overturned and started reacting accordingly. they jumped the gun, tho and thought this meant something that it doesn't.

bad guys are still gonna get punished. haters are still gonna hate goodell and gooddell will still be right.

He has to prove intent to injure in order to suspend them again otherwise Berrigan will issue an injunction for the sham appeal and he'll end up right back in court. If he could have proven intent to injure, this would have been over a long time ago and they wouldn't have played semantics by calling this a "pay for performance/bounty program" after Vilma filed a defamation lawsuit for claiming he was intentionally injuring players.

Jeff Pash also said in a June interview that "Intent doesn't matter". Well, it does now.

Also, Judge Berrigan issued an order after this announcement on Friday stating that she will not rule on the federal case at this time. Which basically means that if Roger Goodell screws up again, she will issue an injunction and it will be an even bigger PR nightmare.

All that is going to happen is the NFL will claim the players still did what they said. They will give empty threats that they will consider re-suspending them under conduct detrimental. But in reality, they'll only be doing that as 1) Damage control and 2) To give the impression that they still have leverage so that they can try to settle with Vilma to get his defamation lawsuit out of court.

If Vilma does not settle, and I hope he doesn't... the world will finally see just how corrupt Goodell and Pash are because Vilma will be allowed discovery. This means every piece of "evidence" the NFL has, including witnesses. It also will lead to a subpoena for the coaches, the witness(es), and probably Joe Hummel (the lead investigator who resigned back in April - the NFL announced it during the draft so no one would care).

It would also likely lead to a subpoena for all e-mails involving Roger Goodell. Which means if he sent any e-mails suggesting fabrication, or linking the bounty investigation to save them from the concussion lawsuits... he's toast. Or, if they deleted those e-mails from their system since May (when Vilma filed his lawsuit), then someone is going to prison for obstruction of justice.

#140 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

He has to prove intent to injure in order to suspend them again otherwise Berrigan will issue an injunction for the sham appeal and he'll end up right back in court.

Not if the Goodell sends the case to the arbitrator. Then intent to inure does not matter.

#141 pepaw

pepaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

IT'S JUST A CONSPIRACY. DREW BREES HAS SUCH GOOD PUBLIC SPEAKING SKILLS AND A MOLE. YOU GUYS WILL SEE AND BE SORRY BECAUSE I JUST BE BREEZING TO ANOTHER SUPERBOWL DURHURHRURHR

#142 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

Not if the Goodell sends the case to the arbitrator. Then intent to inure does not matter.

It actually doesn't matter either way (see the above link)

#143 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

It actually doesn't matter either way (see the above link)

I read it but it is the only place making that claim. I'm pretty sure if Goodell wants the suspensions to stick next time around he will let it go to arbitration so he doesn't have to prove intent to injure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com