Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Former Duke F Lance Thomas sued

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Well technically those are probably the only two people that they can talk to to get the story. The only NCAA violation it could be was that LT was given special treatment and allowed the "credit" because he was a player at Duke and the only person that can answer that is the jeweler who gave him the credit. The way I see it he wasn't given "special" treatment because the balance was due in 15 days. He wasn't given the credit until after he graduated or after he was drafted (which he wasn't and wasn't going to be) or after he made it to the NBA through the D league. I think he got the same deal as you or me if we go to buy something expensive and we were to put 30% down. Do you think you could go finance a $100,000 car if you put $30,000 down, hell thats a no brainer you would be cruising around in that car in less then an hour. We are discounting the fact that if you walk into somewhere with that amount of money it's highly likely that you will be good for the other half. It's no different from the bank looking at your accounts and how much money you have before giving you the loan to buy your house.

Posted

Well technically those are probably the only two people that they can talk to to get the story. The only NCAA violation it could be was that LT was given special treatment and allowed the "credit" because he was a player at Duke and the only person that can answer that is the jeweler who gave him the credit. The way I see it he wasn't given "special" treatment because the balance was due in 15 days. He wasn't given the credit until after he graduated or after he was drafted (which he wasn't and wasn't going to be) or after he made it to the NBA through the D league. I think he got the same deal as you or me if we go to buy something expensive and we were to put 30% down. Do you think you could go finance a $100,000 car if you put $30,000 down, hell thats a no brainer you would be cruising around in that car in less then an hour. We are discounting the fact that if you walk into somewhere with that amount of money it's highly likely that you will be good for the other half. It's no different from the bank looking at your accounts and how much money you have before giving you the loan to buy your house.

As former law enforcement, I can assure you there are multiple other sources information can, and will be gathered from (family, friends, students, public court documents, loan applications, employees, university staff, to name a few)... I also wouldn't put too much faith in the jeweler keeping quiet out of loyalty (or whatever emotion may be inserted) to Thomas, as Thomas is in the hole to him for $70k... I'm betting they're not buds...

I also disagree about your car analogy... It assumes too much... First off, I'm not a 22ish year old kid sporting $30k in cash... Second, no car has ever been offered to me or anyone I am associated with, with the $70k balance due in 15 days... Third, a 'balance due' in 15 days, on a $100k bill throws up some major red flags, especially for a 22 year old...

What this tells us is that he walked in, dropped $30k on jewelry and was allowed to walk out of the store under the promise of 'I can get the rest in 2 weeks'... So, where is a college kid getting $100k? THAT is the question that has to be answered... If it's legit, then it's legit... If not, then, well it's the NCAA so the range of things that can happen to Duke is from 'nothing' to 'extreme', as the NCAA tends to make up rules as they go along...

Posted

As former law enforcement, I can assure you there are multiple other sources information can, and will be gathered from (family, friends, students, public court documents, loan applications, employees, university staff, to name a few)... I also wouldn't put too much faith in the jeweler keeping quiet out of loyalty (or whatever emotion may be inserted) to Thomas, as Thomas is in the hole to him for $70k... I'm betting they're not buds...

I also disagree about your car analogy... It assumes too much... First off, I'm not a 22ish year old kid sporting $30k in cash... Second, no car has ever been offered to me or anyone I am associated with, with the $70k balance due in 15 days... Third, a 'balance due' in 15 days, on a $100k bill throws up some major red flags, especially for a 22 year old...

What this tells us is that he walked in, dropped $30k on jewelry and was allowed to walk out of the store under the promise of 'I can get the rest in 2 weeks'... So, where is a college kid getting $100k? THAT is the question that has to be answered... If it's legit, then it's legit... If not, then, well it's the NCAA so the range of things that can happen to Duke is from 'nothing' to 'extreme', as the NCAA tends to make up rules as they go along...

I agree with the NCAA can try and talk to other people but they are not the police so family, friends, and employees can't be forced or strong armed to talk, which could make it very difficult to find out what really happened. As far as the jeweler keeping quiet I would think he would go on the advice of his lawyer and worry more about his case then he would be with talking to the NCAA.

So can we agree that he didn't get special treatment because he was a college basketball player since the balance was due 15 days later? We aren't talking about a player who was guaranteed first round pick and he used that as a bargaining chip.

Posted

I agree with the NCAA can try and talk to other people but they are not the police so family, friends, and employees can't be forced or strong armed to talk, which could make it very difficult to find out what really happened. As far as the jeweler keeping quiet I would think he would go on the advice of his lawyer and worry more about his case then he would be with talking to the NCAA.

So can we agree that he didn't get special treatment because he was a college basketball player since the balance was due 15 days later? We aren't talking about a player who was guaranteed first round pick and he used that as a bargaining chip.

I'm not sure I can agree it wasn't special treatment, as I would definitely have to have more information about the entire situation... Whether that comes out or not, who knows... It's just a perplexing little situation, particularly given that he wasn't one of the stars of that team... To me it's more of a question of who in the hell would give him that kind of money???? As you point out, it's not like he's in line for a big payday, so who fronts him that kind of change...

And I agree that the jeweler will likely heed the advice of his lawyer, but let's expand that a little (and of course hypothetically)... Let's say they ask Sally Formeremployee or Johnny Soontobe Formeremployee, who answers their questions 'yes they did this' or 'no it was nothing like that'...

One area this could all gain steam is if some ambitious reporter starts poking around and doing his or her own investigative reporting, then you start getting the dreaded 'sources say' junk, and the story takes off...

It's an interesting potential investigation and story, that goes away if it's as simple as him being able to say "I got the money from Mom"...

Posted

So do you think he got the special treatment because he was a college basketball player or because he had $30,000 in cash? Like you said he was not in line for a big payday plus it's the middle of his senior year even if, which anyone who watched college basketball knew there was no way in hell he would go in the first round, he was drafted he is still at least 6-7 months until he would actually have any $.

I agree it is perplexing and doesn't make a lot of sense especially since LT was not really known to wear a bunch of "ice" but I just don't think any NCAA rules were broken. I think if we were sitting here and he was given a 6-12 month window to pay it off then we could talk about maybe some rules were broken but 15 days means this jeweler for some reason thinks he has the money or will have it in the next 15 days. Like I said earlier LT's mother is pretty well off with her six figure salary so the money could have easily come from her as a graduation gift or as the money she had saved to send him to college that wasn't used because he got a scholarship. I honestly don't think the issue with the NCAA is where the $30 grand came from it's more of why was he extended this line of credit.

Posted

Hope y'all got the ladders ready, because there are some banners about to come down!

This is probably going to get K fired, and really piss off all those people from Korea and India who worked very hard for those Duke degrees!

Posted

Hope y'all got the ladders ready, because there are some banners about to come down!

This is probably going to get K fired, and really piss off all those people from Korea and India who worked very hard for those Duke degrees!

Not going to happen but maybe some of Unc's banners will come down since the players took classes that never existed plus Hansbrough's mom was banging her boss at chapel hill and they used fundraising money to fund trips to see her other son at ND. Haha.

Posted

http://www.accsports.com/articles/2012091013388/accross-the-web-september-11.php

This should help you out a little with some info.

Posted

damn it!

it was a picture of alf

Posted

damn it!

it was a picture of alf

FAIL!!!

1 person likes this