• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

I agree with the NCAA can try and talk to other people but they are not the police so family, friends, and employees can't be forced or strong armed to talk, which could make it very difficult to find out what really happened. As far as the jeweler keeping quiet I would think he would go on the advice of his lawyer and worry more about his case then he would be with talking to the NCAA.

So can we agree that he didn't get special treatment because he was a college basketball player since the balance was due 15 days later? We aren't talking about a player who was guaranteed first round pick and he used that as a bargaining chip.

I'm not sure I can agree it wasn't special treatment, as I would definitely have to have more information about the entire situation... Whether that comes out or not, who knows... It's just a perplexing little situation, particularly given that he wasn't one of the stars of that team... To me it's more of a question of who in the hell would give him that kind of money???? As you point out, it's not like he's in line for a big payday, so who fronts him that kind of change...

And I agree that the jeweler will likely heed the advice of his lawyer, but let's expand that a little (and of course hypothetically)... Let's say they ask Sally Formeremployee or Johnny Soontobe Formeremployee, who answers their questions 'yes they did this' or 'no it was nothing like that'...

One area this could all gain steam is if some ambitious reporter starts poking around and doing his or her own investigative reporting, then you start getting the dreaded 'sources say' junk, and the story takes off...

It's an interesting potential investigation and story, that goes away if it's as simple as him being able to say "I got the money from Mom"...

#17 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

So do you think he got the special treatment because he was a college basketball player or because he had $30,000 in cash? Like you said he was not in line for a big payday plus it's the middle of his senior year even if, which anyone who watched college basketball knew there was no way in hell he would go in the first round, he was drafted he is still at least 6-7 months until he would actually have any $.

I agree it is perplexing and doesn't make a lot of sense especially since LT was not really known to wear a bunch of "ice" but I just don't think any NCAA rules were broken. I think if we were sitting here and he was given a 6-12 month window to pay it off then we could talk about maybe some rules were broken but 15 days means this jeweler for some reason thinks he has the money or will have it in the next 15 days. Like I said earlier LT's mother is pretty well off with her six figure salary so the money could have easily come from her as a graduation gift or as the money she had saved to send him to college that wasn't used because he got a scholarship. I honestly don't think the issue with the NCAA is where the $30 grand came from it's more of why was he extended this line of credit.

#18 4Corners

4Corners

Trill Laimbeer

• HUDDLER
  • 13,385 posts
  • Location704

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hope y'all got the ladders ready, because there are some banners about to come down!

This is probably going to get K fired, and really piss off all those people from Korea and India who worked very hard for those Duke degrees!

#19 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hope y'all got the ladders ready, because there are some banners about to come down!

This is probably going to get K fired, and really piss off all those people from Korea and India who worked very hard for those Duke degrees!

Not going to happen but maybe some of Unc's banners will come down since the players took classes that never existed plus Hansbrough's mom was banging her boss at chapel hill and they used fundraising money to fund trips to see her other son at ND. Haha.

#20 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

http://www.accsports...eptember-11.php

This should help you out a little with some info.

#21 4Corners

4Corners

Trill Laimbeer

• HUDDLER
  • 13,385 posts
  • Location704

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

http://www.accsports...eptember-11.php

This should help you out a little with some info.

And this will help you out a little with some info.

http://0067fd0.netso...09/fugtard1.jpg

#22 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

And this will help you out a little with some info.

http://0067fd0.netso...09/fugtard1.jpg

Doesn't help me at all since the link won't load. Good try bro. Smh

#23 4Corners

4Corners

Trill Laimbeer

• HUDDLER
  • 13,385 posts
  • Location704

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

damn it!

it was a picture of alf

#24 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

damn it!

it was a picture of alf

FAIL!!!

#25 4Corners

4Corners

Trill Laimbeer

• HUDDLER
  • 13,385 posts
  • Location704

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Seriously though - I really doubt anything above an extremely small slap on the wrist will become of this.

It's similar to what happened at Ohio State, but Tressel looked the NCAA and lied directly to their faces. Classic cover up is worse than the crime scenario. K would never do something like that.

#26 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Seriously though - I really doubt anything above an extremely small slap on the wrist will become of this.

It's similar to what happened at Ohio State, but Tressel looked the NCAA and lied directly to their faces. Classic cover up is worse than the crime scenario. K would never do something like that.

Wow we finally agree on something. I think people are making a big deal out of something that they don't know all the facts about. Like where did the money come from? Who knows but it could have easily come from his parents or a family member which is more likely then a booster. Why did he get a 15 day line of credit? Who knows how the company he purchased the jewelry from works, but $30,000 cash carries a lot of weight. I don't think it had anything to do with future earnings hell it was 15 days, maybe LT is a good negotiator. My biggest question is why didn't he pay it off with the $762,000 he made with the Hornets last year? It is a very strange story, and I think it will make more sense when we get all the facts. From several sources I have read Duke is not too worried about the situation which tells me they have the facts and we don't.

#27 weyco2000

weyco2000

• HUDDLER
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Wow we finally agree on something. I think people are making a big deal out of something that they don't know all the facts about. Like where did the money come from? Who knows but it could have easily come from his parents or a family member which is more likely then a booster. Why did he get a 15 day line of credit? Who knows how the company he purchased the jewelry from works, but $30,000 cash carries a lot of weight. I don't think it had anything to do with future earnings hell it was 15 days, maybe LT is a good negotiator. My biggest question is why didn't he pay it off with the $762,000 he made with the Hornets last year? It is a very strange story, and I think it will make more sense when we get all the facts. From several sources I have read Duke is not too worried about the situation which tells me they have the facts and we don't.

Wow you are clueless! What parent gives their kid $30 K as a gift? Right... his mother is the "Head Manager" at the Ford plant, nice job title. Even if that's the case, the fact that he got a $68 K line of credit without a job is the clear violation. The credit agreement he signed will be the first thing the NCAA requests and you know as well as I, there's a stipulation regarding future income. There's no way an unemployed college student walks in to a jeweler and purchases $100 K worth of merchandise with a $30 K down-payment, hopefully you realize that.

http://sports.yahoo....aW9ucw--;_ylv=3

"NCAA rules regarding amateurism prohibit athletes from receiving benefits that aren't available to all students. Speaking generally, Osburn said ''the test'' for such a violation is whether ''the general student body, or someone similarly situated, would be able to get the same benefit or treatment.''

''Speaking hypothetically, if he came in on a bicycle with tattered jeans, I doubt seriously he would have been sold jewelry, but I'm not drawing conclusions. The terms here are clear.''

Rafaello & Co. filed a similar lawsuit against Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant last year, claiming he hadn't paid $240,000 for jewelry he purchased between January and May 2010. The purchases detailed in that suit, which has since been settled, occurred after Bryant announced he was leaving Oklahoma State and was entering the 2010 NFL draft.

#28 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

Wow you are clueless! What parent gives their kid $30 K as a gift? Right... his mother is the "Head Manager" at the Ford plant, nice job title. Even if that's the case, the fact that he got a $68 K line of credit without a job is the clear violation. The credit agreement he signed will be the first thing the NCAA requests and you know as well as I, there's a stipulation regarding future income. There's no way an unemployed college student walks in to a jeweler and purchases $100 K worth of merchandise with a $30 K down-payment, hopefully you realize that.

Clueless? Come on son, you really don't think kids get huge gifts for graduation? My wife's parents threw her a party that cost $12,000 not to mention the cash she got on top of that. My buddy got a new Lexus when he graduated HIGH SCHOOL so I don't need to go into what he got when he actually graduated from college.

As far as you knowing there was a stipulation regarding future earnings, then why was the balance, $68,000, due 15 days later? He was still in college and Duke had barely started ACC play so what could he have earned in those 15 days? You don't know the whole story and I am sure it's not as cut and dry as you would think. Like I have said before $30,000 in cash speaks very loudly especially in the world of jewelry since most of it is overpriced and overvalued.

#29 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

Why? Just because he is a college kid doesn't mean he doesn't have credit, he could have been like me and in high school my parents co-signed for me a car, which they paid for, but I started building credit that way. I also opened a checking account and received a CC with $2500 limit that I used but paid on monthly and on time and by the time I was 18 my limit had grown to $10,000. By the time I was a senior I had 2 CC's one that had a $15,000 limit and the other had a $10,000 and I had outstanding credit with only having a part time job at the mall in between classes. My point in all this is you are making the assumption that just because he was a college student he couldn't have have good enough credit but that is wrong. He could have had excellent credit that the store ran plus he had over 30% to put down. In your article you posted the jewelers lawyer said that Thomas only had to put down 25% but he went above and beyond that.

#30 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

http://blogs.newsobs...jewelry-lawsuit

Lance Thomas settled the lawsuit with the jeweler so this incident is probably over since the jeweler really has no reason to speak with the NCAA now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.