Photo
- - - - -

Female Judge Victim Blaming Sexual Assault Victim.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,661 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Last summer, a drunk Arizona police officer named Robb Gary Evans drove himself to a bar, flashed his badge to avoid paying cover at the door, and then walked up behind a woman, put his hand up her skirt, and ran his fingers over her genitals. A jury convicted him of sexual abuse, a felony with a maximum sentence of 2 and a half years in prison, and Evans was fired from the police force after an internal investigation.

Nevertheless, Arizona trial Judge Jacqueline Hatch, who wasappointed to the bench by Gov. Jan Brewer (R-AZ), decided that Evans’ actions did not warrant jail time — sentencing him probation and 100 hours of community service. Evans also will not have to register as a sex offender. Yet, while Judge Hatch apparently did not view the disgraced former cop’s actions as particularly serious, she had some very harsh words for the woman he assaulted:

Bad things can happen in bars, Hatch told the victim, adding that other people might be more intoxicated than she was.

If you wouldn’t have been there that night, none of this would have happened to you,” Hatch said.

Hatch told the victim and the defendant that no one would be happy with the sentence she gave, but that finding an appropriate sentence was her duty.

“I hope you look at what you’ve been through and try to take something positive out of it,” Hatch said to the victim in court. “You learned a lesson about friendship and you learned a lesson about vulnerability.”

Hatch said that the victim was not to blame in the case, but that all women must be vigilant against becoming victims.

When you blame others, you give up your power to change,” Hatch said that her mother used to say.

http://thinkprogress...ange/?mobile=nc

Wow, just wow.

#2 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,661 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

You know, if you hadn't been in the bank that day, you might not have gotten shot in that robbery. I hope you learn something, and make better decisions next time you think you want to go into a bank.

#3 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,777 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

I never understood judges' love affairs with piggies.

#4 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,862 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

If this was the full context of what the judge had to say, then she should also be booted. ThinkProgress hopefully not shaping the story.

#5 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,289 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Sounds like that judge had an ax to grind... Stupid. The cop should be in jail and should have to register as a sex offender, and the judge needs removed.

#6 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,661 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

If this was the full context of what the judge had to say, then she should also be booted. ThinkProgress hopefully not shaping the story.

You can click through to the Arizona Daily Sun for article that contained the quoted material.

#7 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

"If your parents weren't poor, & you didn't like football, Sandusky wouldn't have fugged you in the shower kid."

"If you didn't work 3rd shift, you wouldn't have been on the road when that guy was on his way home from the bar with 16 beers in him."

"If you had considered that one day a crazy fug would start sniping people, you could've brought your daughter a bullet proof vest."

"You wouldn't give your camera to a cop after you filmed him roughing up a suspect!?!? Five years! "

#8 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,895 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Arizona.

#9 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,625 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Typical Tea-Bagger appointed by another Tea-Bagger... a true disgraace to her profession and gender.

Hope she has a daughter....

#10 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,862 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Typical Tea-Bagger appointed by another Tea-Bagger... a true disgraace to her profession and gender.

Typical, kind hearted liberal

#11 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

So let me get this straight, you call out a group, that has nothing to do with this particular bone head decision, and then wish for the same thing to happen to her daughter, if she has one.

way to stay classy.

#12 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,625 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

So let me get this straight, you call out a group, that has nothing to do with this particular bone head decision, and then wish for the same thing to happen to her daughter, if she has one.

way to stay classy.

So, let me get this straight.... you didn't know the Governor of Arizona was a Tea-Bagger and that she appointed this judge to the bench in order to help the Governor advance her judicial agenda?

So, let me get this straight, too... you're inferring what? All I said was I hope she has a daughter. Just like I hope you have a nice day, so please stop making poo up in your mind then trying to put it on me.

#13 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,862 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

So, let me get this straight.... you didn't know the Governor of Arizona was a Tea-Bagger and that she appointed this judge to the bench in order to help the Governor advance her judicial agenda?

So, let me get this straight, too... you're inferring what? All I said was I hope she has a daughter. Just like I hope you have a nice day, so please stop making poo up in your mind then trying to put it on me.

Why not, I hope she has a cat?

Incredibly weak.

#14 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

I knew you would say just that, doesn't change the classlessness of your post. I know exactly what you said, and it is more than obvious what you meant. And, you and I both know I wasn't making any poo up, but keep with the denial, and refusal to accept responsibility. At least be a man, and own your stupid statements.

Typical back peddling, when called on you inane poo.

#15 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

Apologies to Floppin, Don't want to derail your thread. Sometimes stupid just pisses me off. Won't take it any further though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com