#1 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,287 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

http://www.heraldonl...nny-unitas.html

Here’s a reason Richardson and his teammates loved Unitas as a player.

“Whatever he called in the huddle you believed was going to work,” says Richardson. “With him, you always thought you could win. And he was tough. I hear these players now say I tweaked my shin or my calf. I never heard him say stuff like that. I don’t know if I ever heard him mention hamstrings or my shoulder hurts.

“I don’t think Cam will be a better leader. He may be an equal leader but I don’t think you can be a better leader than Johnny Unitas was.”

Still learning

Newton is a better runner. Last season he set a record for quarterbacks by rushing for 14 touchdowns. He threw for 4,051 yards, the most ever by a rookie.

“When Cam is out passing I can tell when he’s throwing the ball versus somebody else,” says Richardson. “I can hear. Some time when you’re out there close your eyes or turn your back and guess who’s throwing the ball.”

Just the sound of the ball going through the air?

“Through the air,” says Richardson.

Richardson says that he knew Newton could be special not after studying tape or measuring body fat. He knew when they sat down at Richardson’s house before the 2011 draft.

“He did everything right that day,” Richardson says. “I think Cam might be the kind of person that will always rise to the occasion, whatever it is.’

Newton looked Richardson in the eye, called him Mr. and sir, and sent a handwritten note thanking him for his time.

As a quarterback, “You’ve got to keep in mind he’s still learning,” Richardson says of Newton. “To get back to my friend John when he walked up to the line of scrimmage he knew like that where the ball was going. Cam doesn’t know that yet.”

If the time comes that he does?

“I think because of his physical skills he will be better,” Richardson says.

Richardson adds: “John couldn’t run like Cam. That’s a characteristic Cam has, either you’ve got it or you don’t.”

#2 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

sniff, sniff....

#3 Future Of The Franchise

Future Of The Franchise

The Ambassador of Booty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

aww i'm all warm and tingly inside.

#4 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,288 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

You should be ashamed for mocking. Johnny U was an awesome QB. Back then...the QB called the plays. For JR to compare Cam to a legend is awesome.

#5 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Amazing. That's fantastic praise from a fantastic owner.

#6 PantherBlue

PantherBlue

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

What’s having Cam changed for you, I ask Richardson.
“My disposition,” he says.

I can totally see that.

Read more here: http://www.heraldonl...l#storylink=cpy

#7 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

Had no idea that RR started Hardee's... New he had something to do with BoJangles...

Great read though

#8 PantherBlue

PantherBlue

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

Had no idea that RR started Hardee's... New he had something to do with BoJangles...

Great read though

If I'm not mistaken, Richardson invested in the first Hardee's franchise with a friend from college. .

#9 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Richardson invested in the first Hardee's franchise with a friend from college. .

His friend started the first restaurant but he invested his NFL Championship bonus check into the business and became a partner. Richardson stayed with the company (initially Spartan Foods), through various sales and renames, long after his original partner had retired.

#10 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

How in the hell did I never know we tried to trade for Peyton before??

Also this part made me lol right here.

“Mr. Richardson and I had a conversation late last year after the season and he was talking about great quarterbacks,” says Newton.
Richardson was talking about Unitas. But he didn’t refer to Unitas by name. He referred to him by number. Richardson neatly wrote the number Unitas wore, 19, on a piece of paper.
Newton looked at the paper.
“We had a receiver on our team that was No. 19,” says Newton. “So you know I’m just trying to put two and two together and (Richardson) said, ‘You got to be great like 19.’ I’m like, ‘19?’”
No. 19 on the Carolina Panthers roster was Seyi Ajirotutu. He caught one pass last season for 4 yards.
“Mr. Richardson was talking about the greatest quarterback that every played, Johnny U,” says Newton. “I said, ‘Oh.’ I thought he was talking about the 19 in the organization.”
Adds Newton: “Everybody knows about the legend. Of course I never got to see him play. I just hear stories Mr. Richardson has told.”

Read more here: http://www.heraldonl...l#storylink=cpy

#11 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

How in the hell did I never know we tried to trade for Peyton before??

I remember hearing the rumors at the time, but this is the first time I've seen any specifics. Wonder what picks were offered?

How much different would our team history look had this gone down?

#12 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,807 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

It was just a few seasons ago the JR and Hugh McCall bought Bojangles, which they have since sold.

After JR couldn't get a few hundred more dollars as a Colt he walked away and here he is today.

#13 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

Fascinating and phenomenal article all around.

#14 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

4:15 cant get here fast enough.......

#15 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

His friend started the first restaurant but he invested his NFL Championship bonus check into the business and became a partner. Richardson stayed with the company (initially Spartan Foods), through various sales and renames, long after his original partner had retired.

You're obviously more in the know about these kinds of things... And sure I could google it, but why waste your vast knowledge? In saying all that...

What was his connection with BoJangles then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com