Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Smitty Spent His Saturday

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://wap.myfoxtampabay.com/w/main/story/72677903/

[quote]Panthers' Wide Receiver Steve Smith's pregame ritual is a far cry from his full-time gig on the field. He spent his Saturday in the Bay area rolling up his sleeves for the home team's less fortunate.

Smith volunteers for Samaritan's Feet, a nonprofit organization that provides foot rubs and a pair of shoes to the homeless. Saturday afternoon he took that mission to Clearwater's Metropolitan Ministries.

"This is an opportunity for me to give back, to serve," said the Panthers' All-Pro WR. "And really for me, open the next chapter of my life."

Approximately 650 pairs of shoes were distributed on Saturday. Organizers of the event say the footwear was not just a gift of comfort but a gift of hope as well.

"A lot of these people are coming from the streets. A lot are ex-military coming from overseas," explained Scott Bedrosian of Metropolitan Ministries. "You've got some young people here. You've got people who've lost jobs. They've been beat up; they're down and they're out and no one believes in them. But we do."[/quote]
6 people like this

Posted · Report post

:wub:

Posted · Report post

thug

Posted · Report post

love. give. serve.

dude is setting the example (or following it.)

Posted · Report post

The other steve smith right? this cant be ours lol

Posted · Report post

good stuff

Posted · Report post

Glad he's on our side. Love that guy.

Posted · Report post

This will be HIS Legacy... Damned a Hall of Fame ballot. This man is changing the world.... One pair of shoes at a time...
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Smith is quite likely the most enigmatic personality on the team. He can be one of the nicest guys around one minute and a fireball of anger the next. Literally a walking contradiction.

I've said for a long time that his being a family man is what's kept him from being another Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens. And I still believe that.

Kudos to him for the work he's doing here.

And here's to the next outbreak of octoninophobia (hopefully about 4:25 Eastern Time today).

Posted · Report post

Off the Field Steve Smith and on the field Steve Smith are 2 totally different people. I have been around him off the field and he is honestly one of the most quiet, humble, nicest people you could ever meet. But come game day, and when he gets that uniform on, he just unleashes and nobody better miss with him. Best Panther ever.