Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Catalyst

The Non-Overreaction Thread

53 posts in this topic

Is it time for panic? During training camp, it's hey: it's only training camp, wait till Preseason. During Preseason, it's hey: it's only Preseason, wait till regular season. After the 1st game of the regular season, it's hey: it's only the 1st game of the regular season, wait til.........................The time for concern and alarm is now. We were just outplayed by the Bucs, the Bucs!

1 person likes this

For those of us who don't think the world is ending after a 6-point loss on the road.

My thoughts:

- Clearly we got beat in the 1st half today. Had we had even a mediocre 1st half we'd have won, IMO. The Bucs simply came out with a gameplan we had no way or preparing for and it took us too long to adjust.

- Our running game is slow to start off every season and we always rebound. No need to panic.

- Cam looked good. 2 INT's, yes, but we were in comeback mode pretty much all game so that's to be expected. Overall, he showed well, especially under heavy pressure.

- Is it time to seriously consider starting Mike Pollak over Geoff Hangartner? Amini looked bad at times, sure, but he's a rookie in his first game. Hangartner is a veteran.

- I saw a lot we can build on from the defense. Josh Norman looked solid in a very tough matchup on Vincent Jackson, even if he gave up a few plays, overall it was a good debut. Martin had 100 yards rushing, but it took like 30 carries. 3rd down needs some work, but overall a fairly big improvement on last year.

- Ron & Dwan looked solid enough for their first game. Once they develop some familiarity with each other we should be solid in the middle.

- Probably the most disappointing thing today was Luke Kuechly's play. I have no doubt he'll rebound, but I expected a lot better from him.

- Brad Nortman looks good. You know, when he's not getting blocked.

- Louis Murphy is a steal for what we gave up for him. He'll be a big-time weapon for us this year.

- Overall, we were obviously taken off guard by the Bucs without having any game tape to gameplan around, particularly on defense early. I feel like we'll be alright in the long run this year. The sky certainly isn't falling. This game reminded me a lot of the 2005 opener, another close loss in an overall good season for us.

You could tell today was getting rid of the Winter rust day. Look at how many QB racked up Ints today.

Anyway, this game should have been more of a defensive game. It's clear the Bucs defense had an answer for Cam but the Panthers defense just took Josh Freeman for granted.

It's at least a positive sign that we started off shaky and improved in the 2nd half rather than starting off hot and sizzling out (like we did a ton last year). I like that our team can actually adjust the gameplan in the 2nd half.

I just hate Cam's decision-making sometimes...not so much on the throws, but when he scrambles out of the pocket and gets run out of bounds for a "sack" instead of throwing the ball away. He did that at least a few times last season and he did it once again in this game when we were right around field goal range. There's absolutely no reason to take a loss of yards when there's no risk of intentional grounding.

Good post. I'm especially worried about Hangartner on the O-line. Amini is a rookie but Hangartner is a vet. Time to find a better player at that position and recognize the weakness of the rookie with some help until he does better.

I must be thinking of another one.. I saw it go through his hands before he even had time to react.. I'll go back and check to be sure.

It was the 2nd -> forever down near the goal line. Martz (I hate that guy) was harping on it.

If I'm wrong and it didn't hit his hands, then apologies.

It was the 2nd -> forever down near the goal line. Martz (I hate that guy) was harping on it.

If I'm wrong and it didn't hit his hands, then apologies.

I'm thinking of another play.. and UVerse decided to fug the sound up so I turned those clowns off very early on..

I record most games just so I can go back to see what I missed.. I'll keep an eye on that.

Sluggish first half on both sides of the ball in the first half, no way around it. Hopefully the second half was a better indicator of what we can expect from this team.

As an aside, that rookie Barron from Alabama is really, realy good. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone put Smith on his ass like he did today. Seriously, collisions like that are supposed to end up with Smith on top barking in his would-be defender's face. He also broke up what could've been a big play downfield. He can cover and hit. Better watch that guy.

I really don't know why people constantly have melt-downs when our running game has their inevitable slow start......seriously. it.happens.every.year.

I really don't know why people constantly have melt-downs when our running game has their inevitable slow start......seriously. it.happens.every.year.

Well, we end up sucking alot of years. It is a little discouraging that we rushed for 10 yards today, including Cam's.

Mark Barron and Eric Wright look hella good too.

In fact I think Cam had most of those measly 10 yards.

We only lost by six to a brand new team on the road. They have a new dline, secondary, WR, oline, RB, coach. poo happens when you party naked.