Photo
- - - - -

Chud Has To Stop Ignoring The Runnning Game

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#76 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

I don't know how many times we ran vs how many times we passed but when we did run, the Tampa defense was in our backfield by the time the running backs got the ball. How can you run the ball when you get taken down in your own backfield for a loss? Tampa would have been pleased to see the Panthers run more.

Did we have any designed runs that went for negative yards that didn't involve DeAngleo?

#77 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

Bottom line is, we should've used more 21 & 22 personnel to run the ball, and play action pass out of it.

With the aggression their LBs were playing with, play action passes out of those formations would've been really effective, and would've made those LBs think twice about anticipating the run so much.

We don't know how stout Tampa's D-Line was, because we never ran the ball down hill at them.

I think we attempted one power run, and that was in the 4th qtr.

Chud has was too many formations for my liking.

I saw alot of teams successfully use a fullback all day Sunday, so the idea that the fullback position is extinct, is BS.

If Mike Tolbert was brought in to play the fullback position I expect to see him doing that early and often.

#78 GolfRasta

GolfRasta

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Did we have any designed runs that went for negative yards that didn't involve DeAngleo?

I watched the 1st designed running play over and you can't put it on D-Lo. Murphy missed his block. If Murphy had made this block, it would've easily been a 20-30 yard scamper by D-Lo, maybe even take it all the way. I know you like to hate on D-Lo, but come on...This is a team game. It's all about executing and everyone doing their job. I like the addition of Murphy, but dude can't block. That play should've been run to the outside toward LaFell.

#79 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

I watched the 1st designed running play over and you can't put it on D-Lo. Murphy missed his block. If Murphy had made this block, it would've easily been a 20-30 yard scamper by D-Lo, maybe even take it all the way. I know you like to hate on D-Lo, but come on...This is a team game. It's all about executing and everyone doing their job. I like the addition of Murphy, but dude can't block. That play should've been run to the outside toward LaFell.

It isn't DWill hate, it is hating Williams as the primary RB in this offense. Bad fit. There was a reason he wasn't the primary RB last year. That play needed Williams to take it inside the tackles....which is what Stewart, Tolbert, and Pilares all have done when asked. Honestly can't think of Stewart going backwards once on the zone read.

If Chud changes what he wants to do....I would be back on Williams' bandwagon. But week 1 showed showed has no Williams gameplan nor will attempt one if he is the only half of double trouble.

#80 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

HUDDLER

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

if williams had trucked murphy's man, or juked him out of his kleets and ran for 20-30 yards...

#81 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

HUDDLER

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

no.

#82 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

HUDDLER

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Is it a good or bad thing that J.Stew is maybe a little too valuable for our offense?

good for him.

bad for the team.

#83 GolfRasta

GolfRasta

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

if williams had trucked murphy's man, or juked him out of his kleets and ran for 20-30 yards...

??? Do you even know which play I'm talking about, or did you just feel the need to type something?

#84 PantherBlue

PantherBlue

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Are we getting Stewart back this week? Maybe that we give us a chance in the running game..

#85 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

HUDDLER

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

??? Do you even know which play I'm talking about, or did you just feel the need to type something?

both.

#86 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:35 AM

It isn't DWill hate, it is hating Williams as the primary RB in this offense. Bad fit. There was a reason he wasn't the primary RB last year. That play needed Williams to take it inside the tackles....which is what Stewart, Tolbert, and Pilares all have done when asked. Honestly can't think of Stewart going backwards once on the zone read.

If Chud changes what he wants to do....I would be back on Williams' bandwagon. But week 1 showed showed has no Williams gameplan nor will attempt one if he is the only half of double trouble.

You are a bulldog on this aren't you? It is not the same play. The lead option with Stewy happens at the LOS, with Cam under center, and Stewy with a head of steam. Last week the play started 5 yards deep, with Cam in the Shot Gun. Put Stewy 5 yards deep before the plays starts...

Poor play calling is being used as examples for bad playing. Does not seem fair somehow. But continue on.

#87 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:17 AM

I don't know how many times we ran vs how many times we passed but when we did run, the Tampa defense was in our backfield by the time the running backs got the ball. How can you run the ball when you get taken down in your own backfield for a loss? Tampa would have been pleased to see the Panthers run more.

We ran 39 designed pass plays, and 10 designed run plays. Of the runs, 2 were designed runs for Cam inside the 10 yard line. 1 was to Pilares for 5 yards and a 1st down. And one of DWill's runs gained about 7 yards. So that leaves 6 running plays that didn't work, at least 2 or 3 of which were with Tolbert as the lone back. What all of this tells me is that Chud's game plan was not to run the ball. He was fixated on running a 3 to 4 wide receiver set to spread out Tampa, even after they had been killing us at the line of scrimmage.

You are completely correct. Murphy whiffed. Play over.

#88 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

not sure if this is in here or not but here is a pretty good read.
http://nfl.si.com/20...wr_a3&eref=sihp