Photo
- - - - -

Conservative bastion slashes/forces teacher's union to walk off jobs abandoning children...it's about them you know

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Gotta lovem...

#17 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Stupid kids are really not so cute.

#18 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,968 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Way to spin anti union people. It's mostly about the kinds of things that are designed to remove power from the unions, which as we have seen, can be quite effective and worth fighting against.

So in other words, the strike is not about money, it's about not wanting accountability.

#19 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

5 things you might want to know about Chicago public schools.

1. Average salary of Chicago public school teacher= $71,000. Median salary of Chicagoan w/ college degree = $48,866
2. 4 out of 10 freshmen in Chicago Public schools do not graduate
3. Chicago Public Schools will drain cash reserves this year. Next year it will face a 1 billion (with a B) budget shortfall.
4. 35% of funding for Chicago Public Schools comes from taxpayers outside Chicago. The entire state is paying for Chicago's failures. (remember CWG's fancy rankings that show Illinois...doesn't break out Chicago)
5. When compared to the 10 largest American cities, Chicago has both the shortest school day and the shortest school year

Who's to blame for this debacle.

#20 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Avg. Salaray of Chicago school teacher is 71k.

Avg Salary of Asheville school teacher is ~32k.

Chicago is ~14% above the national average cost of living.

Asheville is ~1% above the national average cost of living.

fug the Chicago school teachers.

#21 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,717 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

They are asking for 25% increase over 4 years and turned down 16% over same period.

#22 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,101 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

So in other words, the strike is not about money, it's about not wanting accountability.

Ya know after watching the insane work load I see all the teachers I know are given, and the way you all can't wait to portray them as greedy loafers to try and justify getting rid of them (to be replaced by, well, who knows) well just go screw.

I have no idea what the conditions are for this "accountability" stuff are, and usually I am all for that, but clearly something here does not pass the smell test. I've told you money is not the major issue here but you all keep harping on a bargaining position like you've never negotiated in your lives.

#23 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,968 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

Ya know after watching the insane work load I see all the teachers I know are given, and the way you all can't wait to portray them as greedy loafers to try and justify getting rid of them (to be replaced by, well, who knows) well just go screw.

I have no idea what the conditions are for this "accountability" stuff are, and usually I am all for that, but clearly something here does not pass the smell test. I've told you money is not the major issue here but you all keep harping on a bargaining position like you've never negotiated in your lives.

Dude I know all about the workload teachers are under, my wife's been a spec ed teacher for almost 20 years. Some teachers bust their ass and do their jobs to the best of their abilitiy, some teachers do as little as possible and are out the door within 30 seconds of their time being up... it's just like a lot of other public sector jobs wherein some percentage of the workers do the majority of the work while some percentage do as little as they can get away with.

Doesn't tend to work that way (as much) in the private sector because people can actually, you know, be fired... with these teachers unions and things like tenure, it takes an act of congress practically to get rid of shitty teachers...

I have no doubt that the teachers need to negotiate and make their working conditions fair and their pay fair, but in a situation like this... they're not making hubcaps and the hubcap company just isn't producing any right now... there are kids on the street not being educated.

Based on what you posted earlier, it seemed like the teachers are against any new forms of accountability than what's already in place... I'll try and look it up to see what they are wanting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com