22 replies to this topic

#1 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

So is it just me that thinks that that is the kind of throw you WANT your franchise QB to be able to make?

To find the opening in double and sometimes even TRIPLE coverage in order to get a critical completion downfield?

Because that would have been a completed pass without the (uncalled) pass interference with the defender climbing Lafell like a ladder.

When guys like Manning or Brady or Rodgers or (in the day) Favre make throws like that, people nod and say "yep, that's just what they do". I can't believe there are some fans that think that Cam shouldn't have thrown that pass.

#2 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,687 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

I don't think anyone found major fault in Cam's 1st INT. Its the 2nd one that was bad.

#3 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

I don't think anyone found major fault in Cam's 1st INT. Its the 2nd one that was bad.

Well, I can't disagree with you there.

But I've read plenty of disagreement, here and on other forums with Cam's first int.... most commonly "Cam's got to learn NOT to throw it into double coverage!"

Which drives me crazy, because the BEST quarterbacks often find the seam in double coverage and make the throw for a big play.

#4 the_philosopher

the_philosopher

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

I don't really see what was so bad about Cam's 2nd interception either. It was 3rd and long and we needed a conversion. There's a good chance no one else was open, so he just threw it up for grabs deep to Smitty. Not that bad of a decision on my view (again, assuming no one else was open). God knows Delhomme got a lot of completions that way.

#5 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,300 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

LaFell makes the catch and the throw is applauded for a GREAT throw. It was a great throw. Talib got to LaFell before the ball.....on NFL.com they slow it down.

#6 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

I think the fact that Cam completed a pass in quadruple coverage to LaFell earlier on made him feel confident he could do it again.

#7 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Bad things happen when you throw into that sort of coverage. The only time it's ok is when the receiver is an All Pro. It's a low % pass.

#8 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

Not only did they get to LaFell early, LaFell was pulled down by his freaking helmet. WITH THE BALL STILL IN THE AIR.

Want to talk about player safety?

#9 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Bad things happen when you throw into that sort of coverage. The only time it's ok is when the receiver is an All Pro. It's a low % pass.

And yet the pass was spot on and, without the uncalled interference, would have been a completion.

So I guess Cam beat the odds.

#10 Mr ocho nueve

Mr ocho nueve

Cam can't have my Number

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

If that was the ONLY option, yea considering all things it was a good throw. But if that was his primary, then it was just a flat out terrrible read.

#11 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

If that was the ONLY option, yea considering all things it was a good throw. But if that was his primary, then it was just a flat out terrrible read.

Again the open question: is it a terrible read to throw to the primary that is "covered" but a seam exists to make the completion and you throw the ball right down that seam?

Don't the franchise QBs in this league do that all the time? Or are you saying franchise QBs always check down when the primary is double-covered because they know they can't make the throw?

Sounds like Jimmy Clausen may have a future in this league after all. :P

#12 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

And yet the pass was spot on and, without the uncalled interference, would have been a completion.

So I guess Cam beat the odds.

No, it was intercepted. It doesn't matter that you feel like there was interference. Sometimes throwing a pass is about risk management and the risk on that pass was very high. One of the risks was a missed interference call by replacement refs.

#13 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

Again the open question: is it a terrible read to throw to the primary that is "covered" but a seam exists to make the completion and you throw the ball right down that seam?

Don't the franchise QBs in this league do that all the time? Or are you saying franchise QBs always check down when the primary is double-covered because they know they can't make the throw?

Sounds like Jimmy Clausen may have a future in this league after all. :P

There are different degrees of "covered". On the first interception there was at least 3, maybe 4 or 5 guys that swarmed to the ball for the tip. Throwing to a guy "covered" by one or even two guys isn't so bad.

#14 pantherdad

pantherdad

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

I don't really see what was so bad about Cam's 2nd interception either. It was 3rd and long and we needed a conversion. There's a good chance no one else was open, so he just threw it up for grabs deep to Smitty. Not that bad of a decision on my view (again, assuming no one else was open). God knows Delhomme got a lot of completions that way.

that was just as good as a punt, imo....

#15 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,300 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

LaFell was could be seen prior to the pass lobbying for Cam to throw it....so LaFell saw something in the D and was explaining it to Cam. I made a mental note that LaFell was being adamant about something.

That was the very first play when they came on the field so I think it is reasonable to assume Cam was looking to go there from the start

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com