#31 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed Moncrief 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,289 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

plus the ball was uncatchable.and that TD play we appeared to be in a zone and Gamble passed him off expecting the FS to be there.but he wasnt.

#32 SixMileDrive

SixMileDrive

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

And that catch we were in Zone not man, wasnt Gambles responsibility.

Watched the game on NFLRewind. Play action pass, the LB's got suckered in on what looked like zone coverage. Didn't look like gamble should have been anywhere near it. Not his fault.

#33 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,040 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Norman did a good job with a tough assignment on Jackson. He got beat a few times, but it happens to established vets. Neither of the Bucs starting WR's were a huge factor after the one TD. A combined, what, 57 yards?

Notice also that Captain looked a lot better as a nickel guy as well. If Norman can keep the starting spot locked down it'll have a big ripple effect through the entire defense. I don't expect he'll be perfect, obviously. He'll get beat some, but anytime you can get a quality starting corner in the 5th round that's a good deal.

#34 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

Norman def. got the start and was our official # 2.

Heres some pff stats for those interested.

Gamble 67 snaps
Norman 50 snaps
Munnerlyn 34 snaps

Norman allowed 3 catches on 3 targets for 28 yards- 1 vs Mike williams for 6 yards and 2 against v-jax for 22 yards.
Gamble allowed 1 catch on on 4 targets for 6 yards-Williams caught 1 of 2 for 6 yards, v-jax was 0-2 againt Gamble
Munnerlyn allowed 1 catch on 3 targets for 2 yards- Doug martin got the reception, parker and v-jax both went 0-1

The rest came against linebackers and safeties
Anderson was allowed 3 catches on 3 targets for 12 yards
Kuechly allowed 3 catches on 3 targets for 31 yards-Lorig was 2 for 2 for 20 yards and Martin was 1-1 for 11 yards
Beason allowed 1 catch on 1 target for for 4 yards V-Jax got the reception for 4 yards
Davis allowed 1 catch on 1 target for -1 yard-Lorig got the reception but Davis dropped him for a loss of 1 yard

Godfrey allowed 2 catches on 2 targets for 35 yards-Clark 1-1 for 33 yards and Blount 1-1 for 2 yards
Nakumara allowed 1 catch on 1 target for 21 yards-This single reception/target went to V-jax for 21 yards

Tampa's first pick Barron gave up 91 yards btw
65 to Lafell who caught 3 of 3 targets against him and Olsen caught 2 of 3 targets against him for 26 yards
Murphy was 0-1 for against him. All that combined gave Cam a 153.3 passer rating when targeting Barron

#35 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

Awesome research, panther4life. Much appreciated. I don't always have full confidence in PFF's stats, but as much so as anywhere else I guess. What you posted aligns with my own perception of the game.

#36 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

I want to see more man coverage, It's just too easy to throw in between zone playing LB's. We had 8 in coverage on 3rd and long, and Freeman found a wide opened VJ. We converted a 3rd and long to Lafell as well when Tampa decided to rush 3, and put 8 in coverage. There's nothing that burns me more, and the Saints* will covert a lot of 3rd downs if we do the same.

If the coaching staff don't walk away with a game plan of pressuring the hell out of Brees, after looking at the game tape of that Redskins/Saints* game, I'll be extremely pissed. The Redskins got after brees and kept him on his toes.

I hope to God we don't allow Brees to dink and dunk us all the way down field like he did on his final drive in BofA last year, hoping to only give up 3pts instead of a TD.

#37 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 11,427 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

Norman looked awesome Sunday. He is only going to get better and better. I like that he has that chipiness as well. We all think of him as a small school guy, which he is but he was also recruited heavily by team like Alabama, Florida and other major football schools.

#38 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 11,427 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

ugh I hate stats

#39 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

Awesome research, panther4life. Much appreciated. I don't always have full confidence in PFF's stats, but as much so as anywhere else I guess. What you posted aligns with my own perception of the game.

their stats are top notch and probably the best there are.

it's what they do with those stats that is questionable.

#40 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Freeman didn't really do poo other than that touchdown drive. Our corners played fine.

our dline turned it up a notch in the second half. that could have something to do with good coverage as well.

#41 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed Moncrief 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,289 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

with DBs you can pretty much tell what coverage they are, but sometimes you cant.how does pff decides what coverage they are in and their job responisability? do they have access to call sheets or were each defender job is?

#42 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,791 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

Norman looked awesome Sunday. He is only going to get better and better. I like that he has that chipiness as well. We all think of him as a small school guy, which he is but he was also recruited heavily by team like Alabama, Florida and other major football schools.

Another aspect that gets lost in the shuffle is his size. He is as big as Gamble now. He should only get stronger and bigger being in an NFL weight and conditioning program.

Sorry for the bump. Wasn't paying atttention.

#43 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,580 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

few things i saw pop up about norman today...

"I know what I want to be. I approach it with goals. My first goal is to start," says CB Josh Norman (@j_no24).— Carolina Panthers (@Panthers) September 14, 2012

Well, goal one - completed. Norman started opposite of Christ Gamble last Sunday in Tampa, and unless I missed it, he didn't look that bad on the field. Of course, he didn't set the world on fire and make everyone realize that the Panthers had drafted the next Darelle Revis, but at the same time he didn't appear to look like he didn't belong on the same field as the other players either. In short: it wasn't an All-Pro performance, but it wasn't a "why the heck did we draft this guy?" performance either.
Norman isn't completely satisfied with just being a starting CB in the NFL though. He has other goals, as we see below:

Josh Norman's other goals? "To make the playoffs and go to the Super Bowl." @j_no24 also strives to be a Pro Bowl cornerback.— Carolina Panthers (@Panthers) September 14, 2012

I think it's safe to say that we're all behind Norman and hope he can accomplish those goals. I also think that he has the tools necessary to be a successful starter in the NFL, and even if he falls short of his goal to become a Pro Bowl Cornerback, being a consistent starter on a winning team is an amazing feat in and of itself, especially for a 5th round pick from a tiny school in Coastal South Carolina.
One thing that must be mentioned here, and it is featured in Max Henson's profile of Norman over at Panthers.com: when he went down in training camp with a hamstring injury, Norman didn't sulk on the sidelines with a "woe is me" attitude. Instead, he buried himself in the playbook, taking advantage of the opportunity to learn even if he wasn't able to put it into practice on the field.
From Henson's feature:

"I sat down and really got back into my playbook," Norman said. "I got down to the plays and what the coaches want us to run and once I got that figured out, it started to click for me on the sideline. When I got in the practice, I just tried to put that into it. It just rolled from there."

Putting all of Norman's bravado aside, I think it's great that he understands the path to greatness in the NFL is a process that requires more than natural ability. He knows that it requires a lot of hard work - both on and off the field - and even though he walked into camp on the first day with an "I'm ready to conquer the world" attitude, I think it's his ability to grasp the reality of being a rookie player and having to earn everything you get in the League that will help him towards accomplishing all the goals he has set for himself.

http://www.derp.com/...oriented-player

Josh Norman, the Panthers’ rookie who is starting at cornerback, will undoubtedly be a Brees target Sunday and said he is looking forward to that challenge. He has been studying Brees closely on film, trying to understand what makes him so good.

“He’s a big pump faker,” Norman said of Brees. “He likes to show his shoulders one way and then come back to the other side. And for a DB, you cannot look into his eyes.”

Norman warmed to the topic, acting as if staring into Brees’ eyes was almost like staring into the eyes of a hypnotist.

“You can’t gaze into them,” he said. “Once you do that, he gets a touchdown for sure. He always knows where he wants to go – he just does the rest to toy with the DBs. The shoulders, the pump fake, the eyes – it’s all just to throw us out of the way.”

Read more here: http://scottfowlerob...l#storylink=cpy

interview on panthers.com
http://www.fanfeedr....ee-ace6e8d8aa7d

#44 beach

beach

|-~~-~-~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

I wish he kept the dreads. And Gamble.

I wish our whole team including Kuechly and Nortman had dreads

#45 Rags

Rags

help

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • LocationButtsville, NC

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

I like that. Good to see he's doing his homework.

Let's see some results on the field now Norman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.