Photo
- - - - -

Helmet to Helmet or Clean Hit on Smith?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#25 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Clean, completely legal hit - Smitty had literally just stepped out of bounds and Barron did not launch himself head-first. Good non-call on some hard-nosed football.

#26 HardcoreDefense

HardcoreDefense

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the input and clarifying the hit fellow Huddlers.

#27 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

I suspect Barron will be fined... it was essentially a spear to Smitty's head.

I love the way Smitty plays but in cases like that I wish he would protect himself a little more... he bounced right up like he was fine, but I promise you... that hurt.

#28 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

I love the way Smitty plays but in cases like that I wish he would protect himself a little more... he bounced right up like he was fine, but I promise you... that hurt.

You can spear WR running downfield. That isn't illegal.

#29 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

You can spear WR running downfield. That isn't illegal.

Read the last section of the rule... it prohibits spearing regardless of the situation.

#30 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Read the last section of the rule... it prohibits spearing regardless of the situation.

Well, then 80% of hits on RBs would be illegal if that hit was. The real emphasis is spearing a defenseless player....the rest is just football.

#31 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Looks to me like both men dropped their heads and lead with their shoulders. The impact of shoulder pads and helmets is nearly instantaneous and is in no way shape or form a spear.

Again the only reason this is a point of discussion is because the guy with the Panther logo on his helmet is the one who was getting up off of the ground. If Smitty had run the guy over with the exact same hit we all would be singing his praises today.

#32 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

It was helmet to helmet, but I don't think it matters if the runner is not defenseless. Smitty definitely was not defenseless.

#33 csx

csx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

That did not look like spearing, Spearing is when you dive at the player head first and is only illegal when you make initial contact with the head. They hit shoulders and then their helmets hit.

#34 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

It was helmet to helmet, but I don't think it matters if the runner is not defenseless. Smitty definitely was not defenseless.

Watch Jonathan Stewart a full game and count the number of helmet to helmet hits. A helmet to helmet hit isn't illegal by itself. You can use your helmet to tackle a runner....which Smith was.

The emphasis on helmet to helmet is geared toward defenseless players....not tackling a runner.

#35 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

Well, then 80% of hits on RBs would be illegal if that hit was. The real emphasis is spearing a defenseless player....the rest is just football.

I'm not saying I agree with the rule, when I played spearing was considered a totally legit technique, but the rule is written to cover "vicious" helmet to helmet hits regardless of the situation and I think Barron's hit on Smitty under the rule could be interpreted as "vicious" and unnecessary.

I also think Barron will be fined simply because he's a rookie and they want to send a message to him early in his career that he needs to watch the helmet to helmet hits.

#36 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

I yelled for Helmet to Helmet, but figured because they both lowered their shoulders it was not called. Also I thought that was for protection against a defenseless receiver making a catch, Smith was getting his YAC.