4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Yeah Squirrel - I thought "karma was fixing to bite the ACC in the ass"

Instead they just bagged the FB program every conference in the country has wanted forever.

This is a big day for the ACC.

#17 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

Tired of the ACC becoming a northern conference. It used to go just from College Park to Atlanta, with 4 of 8 teams in NC. Now it stretches from Boston to Indiana to Miami. I know these conferences have to chase the money, but it seems like every game used to mean something because it was against a school fairly close by. I could care less about playing BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and Miami, or ND in anything other than football. College football is settling into a bad equilibrium here, with everybody expanding as fast as they can. They need to have a 16 team playoff with 8 guaranteed spots for conference winners, allowing these mega-conferences to break up in to more sensible sizes. Plus, football may be generating revenue, but now we have to pay to send all our non-revenue teams halfway across the country to play conference games? It's ridiculous, and it's bad for college athletics.

#18 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

this move probably pushes the 14 full members of the acc tv cut closer to the 20 million range. they become the number 1 basketball conference(the only thing most of them they really care about) & also still will get a cut of the football playoff pie. whether you like them or not, the Irish bring a huge national following & still produce stellar ratings for nbc. FSU & Clemson or V.tech will have clearer path to the playoffs as members of the ACC(which is all they care about)

#19 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,909 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Lolololol Squirrel

STAY MAD

#20 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

• HUDDLER
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

Good move being how football drives colleges nowadays.

#21 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,952 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

it's a great fit all around. nd is pretty solid in other sports and the acc has it's share of powers in the smaller revenue sports.

if the acc gets one more school it will more than likely be football only. not sure on who though.

#22 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,690 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Ask the big east how much ND helped them. Also expansion isn't dead Big XII will need to add 2 more.

#23 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,427 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Love it. Great move for the ACC. I project the tide will turn within a few years, and our football will be right up there with the SEC. I just hope none of our current members go to the SEC in the meantime.

But, for someone who is more knowledgeable than me on the issue... What about the current TV deal ND has with NBC is stopping them from joining the ACC in football as well? Doesn't Texas still have a contract for "The Longhorn Network" and is still a member of the Big 12?

#24 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

Love it. Great move for the ACC. I project the tide will turn within a few years, and our football will be right up there with the SEC. I just hope none of our current members go to the SEC in the meantime.

But, for someone who is more knowledgeable than me on the issue... What about the current TV deal ND has with NBC is stopping them from joining the ACC in football as well? Doesn't Texas still have a contract for "The Longhorn Network" and is still a member of the Big 12?

texas pretty much runs the big 12, so they get to have the best of both worlds. Notre Dame values being a independent in football& would like to continue doing so as long as possible.

#25 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,690 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

ND current contract nbc runs through 2015 and they are negotiating with NBC to extend it.

#26 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

The lhn is for tier 3 games meaning games not picked up by tier 1(abc,cbs,nbc, fox) national broadcast or tier 2 regional coverage(espn,espn2, fx, etc.) Acc and sec have tier 3 games shown on wjzy, waxn etc. I dont think the big 12 had a deal for tier 3 broadcasts(not positive on this though).

Notre Dames contract for nbc is tier one national coverage for home games. ACCs tier 1 is owned by abc I believe. That is the difference and the issue as I understand it.

eta:

I dont think the major issue with the lhn is that texas has the network. It is that espn(ABC..Disney) owned the network and were going to intentionally bump conference tier 2(espn and espn2 regional games) down to tier 3 on the lhn to force tamu,baylor,tt fans from all around texas and eventually the other teams around the midwest to demand the lhn if they wanted to watch the games....

what has become of it currently is no one has it and the majority of texas fans cant even watch their team play unless they are in the stadium..lol

#27 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Tired of the ACC becoming a northern conference. It used to go just from College Park to Atlanta, with 4 of 8 teams in NC. Now it stretches from Boston to Indiana to Miami. I know these conferences have to chase the money, but it seems like every game used to mean something because it was against a school fairly close by. I could care less about playing BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and Miami, or ND in anything other than football. College football is settling into a bad equilibrium here, with everybody expanding as fast as they can. They need to have a 16 team playoff with 8 guaranteed spots for conference winners, allowing these mega-conferences to break up in to more sensible sizes. Plus, football may be generating revenue, but now we have to pay to send all our non-revenue teams halfway across the country to play conference games? It's ridiculous, and it's bad for college athletics.

I don't like the influx of yankee schools either - but guess what dude? there's nothing you can do about it so there's no reason to get mad.It's like when some dumbass on a message board makes a blanket statement about a fan base being trashy or walmarters because he once saw a mullet wearing redneck in a Rasheed Wallace jersey covered with a paint.

There is no doubt in my mind that we are moving to a 4-5 league of super conferences. This Notre Dame move has to be a clear sign of it. The expansion is going to help every team in the ACC in FB recruiting (and let's face it - NCSU needs all the help they can get) and it's going to be difficult to argue against the ACC being right up there with the BIG10 and SEC in terms of popularity, money, athletes, and TV.

My very close friend has an uncle who is the AD at an ACC school. Don't bother asking who b/c I won't say. Don't believe me? cool. But he told me that the NCAA is moving to 16-18 team super conferences and it's just a matter of time. He also said that if there wasn't so much damn $$$ and legal sh1t involved, all the major D1 schools would break away to form super conferences and there own college athletic league. So if the guys in charge had it there way they would leave the NCAA. That will never happen though. Also, he said the next schools that could defect for the ACC are UCONN and Rutgers.

#28 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

ND current contract nbc runs through 2015 and they are negotiating with NBC to extend it.

No sh1t, sherlock.

What ND did here is simply cover their asses. NBC doesn't renew? ACC sure as hell will take them. If they do renew? well ND is now locked into the premiere basketball conference in the country and continue doing what they do.

It works out well for both parties because even if the Irish stay independent, ACC FB teams will still get the exposure 5 times a year.

Squirrel just admit that you are mad about WVU being told "thanks, but no thanks" by the ACC.

I honestly think WVU can win the B12 this year man in FB. And in basketball? be thankful you won't be traveling to tobacco road this year broski

#29 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

Unless ND joins for football, there isn't a need for further ACC expansion.

The ACC is balanced in football at 14 teams with this arrangement.

To maintain their traditional rivalries and recruiting out west ND needs to stay semi-independent in football.

Much of what makes ND a great conference addition / national attraction is potentially lost if they fully join ACC for football.

http://www.nytimes.c...tball.html?_r=0

Notre Dame will keep its revenues from its football broadcats and the ACC will keep its revenue from its own football contract, which it will revisit with Notre Dame in the inventory, so to speak.Posted Image

Notre Dame then would receive a 1/15th share of the revenue distributed to ACC schools for basketball and other sports. The ACC has no plans to add a 16th team.

"This wasn't a financial decision," Swarbrick said. "It's financially neutral for us and we don't foresee that changing any time in the future."

http://articles.chic...e-dame-big-east

#30 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,690 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

Prouddiddy asked about the ND contract so I answered him. Also the reason ND was looking for another league is because they was having problems finding brand name teams to schedule. With all the realignment Pac12 and B1G10 teams couldnt fit them in. Funny thing is they are making it a big deal they will play 5 ACC teams a year. If you look at there schedule this year they are already playing 4 present/ future ACC teams. ND cares only about themselves. Wait for the details to come out and the money the ACC is will to give up to them for joining.

As far as WVU/ACC goes ACC has this elitest attitude they pisses me off. WVU would have brought the ACC both a contending Football and Basketball program. But the ACC didnt like that WVU acceptance procedures which also hurts WVU academic standing.
WVU is mandated to take and High school graduate from West Virginia with a certain GPA. Cant remember the exact GPA but I think it is around 2.0. That and ACC being afraid of WVU fans doomed WVU from getting into the ACC. But no I dont hate ACC for not taking WVU. I hate the way the ACC acts all elitest and the better than you attitude. I also hate they destroyed a conference because of their inferiorty in football. Which amazing they still suck at football. It is also funny they took Pitt and Syracuse when the only thing they bring is sub par football teams and one good basketball team (syracuse).

But here is the kicker. With that all done WVU is in the Big XII know. In which the Big XII tv contract is bigger than the ACC with only 10 members to the ACC's 14. ND only is figured to bring a 1 million bounce to the contract. Big XII members will make close to 24 million a year from the tv contract tier 3 rights and the Champ Game with the SEC. ACC teams will make 20.

Another good thing with the Big XII is they are both good in football and Basketball. So the ACC can become the Big East 2.0 and the Big XII will be one of the top conferences in the nation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com