#1 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Before y'all flame me, let me throw some numbers at you: 450/679, 66.3% 4,700 yards, 33 TDs, 17 INTs, 16 Sacks. These are Peyton Manning's numbers in 2010, when Mike Pollak started 13 out of 16 games for the Colts. You have to remember too, that Peyton isn't the most athletic quarterback so there numbers, or at least 13/16 or 80% of them, are due to solid O-Line play. I think we can achieve similar numbers with the quarterback that broke Peyton's rookie passing record if we get comparable play out of our O-Line.

Which brings us to the situation at hand. Our interior line got abused on Sunday, mainly because of mediocre play out of Hangartner and rookie play out of Silatolu. Maybe we went up against a top tier pass rush in McCoy and Claiborne, and it won't be until later in the season that we realize that it was the Bucs that were just that good, not us that were that bad. If not though, I really think we ought to consider a change in our starters, going with Hangman and Pollak to start the season and then Pollak and Silatolu midway through, once he has a bit more experience.

I also think we should make this change sooner rather than later. With that in mind, I say that if at halftime Sunday our pass protection and rushing offense are struggling as much as they did last Sunday, we bench the rookie. This isn't a drastic measure to call for and the sky isn't falling. We just can't afford another notch in the L column due to us putting too much on the shoulders of rookie linemen, like we did last year.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but I think the more we see this image floating around, the more we really should think about making a change.

#2 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hangartner just can't keep up anymore, I agree with starting Pollack over him. Silatolu needs to stay in just because the experience is invaluable in his position.

#3 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,518 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

I've thought about it too. He can't be worse than piggy

#4 PantherBlue

PantherBlue

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Hangartner just can't keep up anymore, I agree with starting Pollack over him. Silatolu needs to stay in just because the experience is invaluable in his position.

I agree..

#5 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

Replace crap with crap, I like it.

#6 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

Silatolu can't get 'experience' on the bench. I can live with him struggling as he learns, but if Hangartner keeps playing this way we'll have to start Pollak.

#7 WolfpackRob

WolfpackRob

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Piggy should have gotten pulled last week. He was getting killed.

#8 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,138 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

I'm not disagreeing that we need to do something about the OLine, but shouldn't this have been figured out in the offseason, training camp, preseason, ect.

#9 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

"D"

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

#63 was pitiful Sunday. He needs to step up or go. I agree that Pollak should start over him if he doesn't get right.

#10 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

I agree with this!

I saw McCoy blow pass Hangartner so fast, it didn't make any sense, and this was on a running play not a pass play.

I wish there was a way we could get Campbell on the field, we need more nasty on this O Line.

#11 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,053 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

Stick with Silatolu and let him learn.

#12 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,208 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

Not to disagree with the Pollack for Hangartner sentiments (those calling for Silatolu to be benched are retarded), but Peyton Manning is probably the Zen Master of avoiding sacks by his ability to navigate the pocket and get the ball out quick. The Colts o-line was subpar near the end of his tenure and Peyton was still on the low end of sacks taken.

#13 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,053 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

And give Hangman a game to redeem himself before you bench him.

#14 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

We don't play games to learn, we play games to win. You don't play a guy for the sake of reps if there is a superior player on the bench behind him. Not saying we should even bench Sil, but that's because I don't think anyone on the bench is appreciably better. Arguing to play him for the sake of reps is ridiculous. You play the guys that give you the best chance to win.

#15 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,501 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

Not to disagree with the Pollack for Hangartner sentiments (those calling for Silatolu to be benched are retarded), but Peyton Manning is probably the Zen Master of avoiding sacks by his ability to navigate the pocket and get the ball out quick. The Colts o-line was subpar near the end of his tenure and Peyton was still on the low end of sacks taken.

THIS

I can't really by much into the Peyton # as he made a mediocre O-Line look outstanding. Maybe he's better than Hangman or not but I won't use those stats as an argument point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com