• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Not trying to be negative because we won and I'm really excited and pumped up...but after playing pretty tough last week they were getting gashed today, I expected more from them. Alot of missed tackles as well

#2 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

Not trying to be negative because we won and I'm really excited and pumped up...but after playing pretty tough last week they were getting gashed today, I expected more from them. Alot of missed tackles as well

A ton of missed tackles, but in the end it's a W. When Brady won his Superbowls it was on Vinateri's leg, Pittsburgh's was a stupid trick play by Randle El, poo the Bears won back in the 80's and Payton didn't even score let alone go over a hundred. Point being scoring touchdowns wins football games, not rushing yards allowed.

#3 Irv

Irv

Winner Best New Huddler

• HUDDLER
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

sproles stats were inflated as hell but our defense stepped it up except on a few WTF tackle him moments

#4 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

The gashes aside, I thought our run D looked great. There must have been a dozen or more runs that went for only 2 yards that game. Sproles is a special player, and he's going to get yards on you no matter what. The big Pierre Thomas run cam when we were up by 15 in the third and were generally lagging as a team.

All in all, I think the number of <3 yard runs forced outweighs the long ones. I'm sure if you ranked Run Ds by YPA, we'd be near the top.

Edit: I take it back. We've now allowed 293 rush yards over 63 attempts for a 4.6 YPA. That Thomas run really hurts the average.

#5 ShutDwn

ShutDwn

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

They were geared for the pass but it's no excuse. They played well and wrapped up last week but it doesn't seem like Martin is that elusive. Thomas gives us trouble when he runs.

They'll improve drastically if they stop missing tackles.

#6 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Stats were a bit deflated because of the 50 yard Pierre Thomas run when we weren't lined up at all...but it'll be better if kearse was playing and the tackling improves, fua still got pushed around

#7 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

I know that people are not going to want to talk about it but I agree. Bottom line is that as much as I want to believe we it, we are not an elite team. Not even top ten and we really could be.

Its not just our run-D. Our entire defensive philosophy will keep us from crossing that threshold. We drafted Kuechly, I abhorred the pick and I still do. I got swamped on the Huddle for saying it but I stand by my original opinion which I voiced again a day or two ago on an earlier post. Our LB's, which have obviously been identified as the center of our defense, are all clones of each other. They are smallish, speedy guys with a lot of heart and skill. That sounds great right? But you see the result, huge downhill run gains.

Ray Lewis lost 15 pounds so he could cover more guys out the backfield, right? He did that because they drafted Melvin Ingram, who is a big run hole plugging LB who just so happens to be pretty good in blitzing. They also have Terrel Suggs, and Haloti Ngata. All of which are great against downhill running. Teams will continue to run down hill effectively because all the heart in the world wont allow a 235 pound LB to slow down 325 pound Guard with momentum.

#8 Davis83

Davis83

Rebelling since 1753

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

Looked like a lot of attempts to tackle "the ball". 1st guy needs to wrap up and let the 2nd and 3rd guys try to rip it out.

#9 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

I know that people are not going to want to talk about it but I agree. Bottom line is that as much as I want to believe we it, we are not an elite team. Not even top ten and we really could be.

Its not just our run-D. Our entire defensive philosophy will keep us from crossing that threshold. We drafted Kuechly, I abhorred the pick and I still do. I got swamped on the Huddle for saying it but I stand by my original opinion which I voiced again a day or two ago on an earlier post. Our LB's, which have obviously been identified as the center of our defense, are all clones of each other. They are smallish, speedy guys with a lot of heart and skill. That sounds great right? But you see the result, huge downhill run gains.

Ray Lewis lost 15 pounds so he could cover more guys out the backfield, right? He did that because they drafted Melvin Ingram, who is a big run hole plugging LB who just so happens to be pretty good in blitzing. They also have Terrel Suggs, and Haloti Ngata. All of which are great against downhill running. Teams will continue to run down hill effectively because all the heart in the world wont allow a 235 pound LB to slow down 325 pound Guard with momentum.

I stop reading after you said the Ravens drafted Melvin Ingram.

#10 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,669 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Pretty simple really, too many missed tackles. <5 yard runs turned into >10 yard runs. Will be worked on in practice.

#11 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

I stop reading after you said the Ravens drafted Melvin Ingram.

You are absolutely right, I meant Courtney Upshaw. The 270+ pound LB. But the fact remains that the ravens are a model for down hill run stopping defense

#12 Corporal Casto

Corporal Casto

Noob Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationQueen City

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

I didn't read 90% of the posts in this thread but I'm pretty sure most are saying the same thing.

We played the Saints*. In other words, we played against the Pass. Duh, our run D was compromised.

#13 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

I wish somebody would get on this thread who had an opinion and was prepared to defend it. You know this is a forum. Dont be dismissive of a different opinion if you cant even articulate a point of view. This is to no one in particular. But hopefully it will bait a decent conversation.

#14 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

i was surprised at how much fua played.

#15 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

I wish somebody would get on this thread who had an opinion and was prepared to defend it. You know this is a forum. Dont be dismissive of a different opinion if you cant even articulate a point of view. This is to no one in particular. But hopefully it will bait a decent conversation.

A broad and vague statement...way to send your opinion home bro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com