• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

The man deserves his own thread after all the heat he's taken over the years. Today was the first game that it felt like he really put it altogether.

I've said over the last two years that his support in the run game has greatly improved, but I still felt he was lacking in the pass defense department. When Graham caught that first TD, I thought it was going to be just another day at the office.

But, he may have single-handedly turned the game around. Great patience and read on his pick and I was so happy to get a pick-six after all these years without one. It seemed to give him even more confidence as well. He laid a couple of good licks on folks, but I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED his hit late on Graham. Loved it. Give him something to think about for next game.

I really feel he performed like the safety we've been waiting on and set the tone.

The man has taken his lashings around here, now give him some props. He showed out today and we needed it. I hope he keeps it up for the rest of the year.

#2 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,289 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:02 AM

I'll probably never be his biggest fan, but I'll give him kudos for an overall good performance today.

#3 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

I think the Jimmy Graham's TD was hard to defend, I think he was thinking Jimmy was gonna go further in the endzone for a jump catch in the back of the end zone.... But the Pick 6 was a great play........

#4 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:07 AM

Godfrey played very well today.

#5 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,436 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

Really liked Godfrey's play today. If he can get consistent and continue to play at a high level I'm hoping he can at least prove to us that he is deserving of his contract. I've always liked Godfrey but he does frustrate me quite often.

Can anyone post a clip or .gif of his hit on Graham? After his TD, Graham took a beating today and that was great to see.

#6 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Dumb fans will always hate unless he performs at Ed Reed level year after year.

Godfrey is a good Safety. What improved is our defensive line, that makes him look a hell of a lot better.

#7 BEASTfromdaEAST

BEASTfromdaEAST

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Yeah Godfrey was play was good, he's is def not the safety I'm worried about.

Also Charles Johnson should get most of the credit for that INT.

#8 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be Ed Reed... He has had troubles in the past, especially with TEs in man coverage. But, he showed out today and showed what he can be. I really hope he maintains this level of play, it was great to see!

#9 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,289 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

Some of the early problems I blamed on schematic issues.

No reason in the world they should have given so much cushion that Graham could just catch right on the goal line and fall in.

#10 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

I've always liked Godfrey, and think he takes too much of a beating, I like his game, I wish he'd bring his hands more when he tackles, glad to see him make a great play today and get in the end zone.

#11 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,002 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

Charles played excellent today. So did Josh Norman and Gamble (per usual). Really, really happy about our secondary's performance.

Getting pressure on Brees was definitely a huge factor

#12 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,289 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:16 AM

While we're talking about the secondary, although I love Captain Munnerlyn's heart and fire, thank you coaches for starting Josh Norman instead.

Munnerlyn is much better suited to a reserve role.

#13 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:16 AM

Yeah Godfrey was play was good, he's is def not the safety I'm worried about.

Also Charles Johnson should get most of the credit for that INT.

I wouldn't say most of the credit, but he definitely deserves a lot as well. Great point. For all the dummies hating on CJ when he doesn't post a sack, they need to watch the games and understand what they're seeing. I've rarely ever saw CJ lose contain, especially on bootlegs and screens. He did force Brees' hand on the throw, but Godfrey still had to make the play. Awesome job by both.

#14 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

While we're talking about the secondary, although I love Captain Munnerlyn's heart and fire, thank you coaches for starting Josh Norman instead.

Munnerlyn is much better suited to a reserve role.

I actually really wanted to put Norman and Beason's name in the title as well. These guys are definitely giving our defense that edge that we lacked last year. Everyone knows I've been singing Norman's praises since draft day, he was a guy I really hoped we would take b/c I knew he had the potential to start in my non-expert opinion, lol. I love his play in coverage, he's physical to boot, and I absolutely love that he chirps at each and every opponent after every play. He's tough.

And Beason is back to being Beason. I really thought he'd at least have a period of adjustment or may not be 100% in terms of speed this year. I was wrong. He's been awesome.

#15 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

Godfrey played pretty good, I just wish he stops trying to tackle with his shoulders all the time, and wrap up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com