Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gazi

Campaign nosedive

207 posts in this topic

personally, i could give a poo less about factories in third world countries. we have to fix ours before we can even debate whether to fix theirs. besides, there's a whole philosophy on business ethics on this very subjects--about 50 different views and 50 different variations of each of those views.

just fix the economy. but how do you do that? laissez faire resulted in disparate proportions of wealth. and then the rich got greedy, and greedier, and reached their greediest. wwii. tax shelters. oil & gas lobbyist. usury. soon enough, the rich kept levying the poor to get richer--what has been so aptly named as recently, "the 1%."

then, government steps in to try and redistribute the wealth, based on the premise that a balanced economy is the better route to protect all of our economic and social prosperity. then everyone gets all bent out of shape. well, guess what, we had our toys and couldn't control it. parents don't get you a puppy and let you keep it without feeding it. not the best analogy, but you get my point.

problem is, everyone wants to talk. no one wants to listen. and political campaigns are nothing but flashy advertisements that look good. the average american voter from rural nebraska doesn't know about price per earnings, return on capital employed, purchase order financing, junk bonds, or self-dealing directors essentially given a rubber stamp by the so-called "business judgment rule." and that's the whole game. we sit here and bitch about whether the president is muslim, black, gay, etc...while the rich operate in the medians getting richer. then the typical american gets stuck, because he or she thought BankCorp was their friend, and then get's mad at the president.

voting is a sham.

It is so overdue for a legitimate libertarian party in this country. Most people I know want government out of their wallets and out of their bedrooms. But during arguments like this one they retreat into the party they grew up with and sacrifice one of those two things. I really really really wish the Republicans would figure out that trying to keep gay people from marrying makes them look ridiculous, that calling people baby killers when there are pregnant women who have been raped makes them look mean and petty, and that their insistence on letting the religious right control so much of their platform is dragging them down the political drain.

I am Republican because I believe that big business is not inherently evil. That big business provides jobs, and that Ronald Reagan said the smartest thing a politician has ever said when he said that the best social program is a job. It gives people a sense of belonging, a sense of self worth, a sense of contribution. Sitting at home living off entitlement programs is evil to me. And that's why I remain Republican, but man I wish there was a party that shared that belief but left non bible thumping people alone.

The republicans haven't been friends of big business since the days of Warren Harding.

They are today, at their root, a party of theocrats. Your best bet is remaining unaffiliated until, as you say, a legitimate classically liberal party emerges.

I guess a man's gotta find some good news somewhere to satisfy his failing dream of unseating the POTUS. Even if the site is named Pajamas media

And now Obomber takes the lead in NC according to this Republican poll http://www.nccivitas.org/2012/civitas-poll-obama-biden-lead-gop-ticket/

Wow

I have a hard time believing a poll that only polls 600 people.

That's simply too small a sample size.

If Johnson is on the ticket though, that could definitely hurt Romney/Ryan.

Since they are going to lose, people will vote for Johnson to send a message to those in charge of their party that it's not ok what they're doing

3 days before, Rassmussen had Romney up 6. 10 point swing in 3 days? I doubt it.

3 days before, Rassmussen had Romney up 6. 10 point swing in 3 days? I doubt it.

Rassmussen also had Mccain up by 6.

Lowest favorability of any candidate in modern history.

9-19-12-22.png

I think you are quoting the Pew poll which used the details below. You poll way more Dems and even Independents than Pubs?

More people after 2010 self identify as Repubs than Dems for the first time in a long time. I think this would skew your numbers.

9-19-12-381.png

Ever wonder what the poll would look like if they had he same number of Dems and Repubs? Maybe the big story here is that after sampling 18-20% more Dems, Obama has only an 8% lead.