#61 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,082 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

I have. But he said a lot more than just a stat on how many people get help from the gov't.

I think the first part of his statement was correct....the 47% comment.

The rest was bullshit.

#62 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 3,642 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

The idea that those not paying income tax are somehow lazy is ridiculous. Some of the hardest working people in our society are getting paid squat and big business likes it that way.

If the hardest working people in our society were rewarded with promotions on merit, our business leaders and politicians would largely come from the ranks of Mexican landscapers.

#63 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Irrlevant point....they still pay ZERO FEDERAL INCOME TAX.

Anyone who thinks that half of the people in the US not paying taxes is OK or sustainable is an idiot......and a Democrat.

Wrong, they do pay taxes. They do pay ferderal taxes. Stop lying

#64 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

The way our economy operates today is fundamentally different than the way it operated 40 years ago when we had a vibrant middle class and a much smaller financial sector.

Those in power at the time made a decision to off shore much of our manufacturing base and deregulate our banks. The decline of the middle class and significant growth of wealth for a small segment or our society have more to do with power politics in Washington DC than some lack of work ethic on the part of the average American worker.

Our economic problems originated from policy changes decades ago. Not something Obama did in the last 3.5 years.

Some blame goes to government policies, no doubt about it. But a good portion of it goes to the private sector, corporations and individuals. To much debt, poor lending standards by banks, to many mccmansions, etc....

#65 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,245 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

go check out the % of people that are getting government support and aid and then come back and talk to me.

It is staggering the number sucking on the gov't teet.

Do you get a tax break on your dependents? Did you get to write off the interest on your mortgage? Do you shelter your income in a 401k...did you know nearly half of Americans do not have access to a retirement plan at work. Do you write off charitable contributions? Why?

Sounds like gov't support and aid to me. You could have always refused to suck the teet....how much are you "cheating" the gov't out of?

#66 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

While minimum wage has dropped, very few people actually make minimum wage, so I am not sure if its a realistic assessment of dropping income compared to prices. On average, american workers work about the same amount of time to buy items such as gas, as they did in 1980.

the average? income disparity is at an all-time high... Look at this graph and tell me that the mean is a reflection of what "average" people make.
Posted Image

#67 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Wrong, they do pay taxes. They do pay ferderal taxes. Stop lying

I assume you are referring to medicare and social security. But he said federal "income" taxes, and that is different than ss and medicare and the like. Federal income taxes are the taxes that actually pay for stuff (other than medicare and social security) that we use, whether its federal assistance for road building, or food stamps.

#68 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

the average? income disparity is at an all-time high... Look at this graph and tell me that the mean is a reflection of what "average" people make.
Posted Image

How long does the average worker have to work to buy the things that he or she needs, and how does that compare to 30 years ago?

Or, if you will, how long does a minumum wage worker have to work and how does that compare to 30 years ago?

#69 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 31,474 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Do you get a tax break on your dependents? Did you get to write off the interest on your mortgage? Do you shelter your income in a 401k...did you know nearly half of Americans do not have access to a retirement plan at work. Do you write off charitable contributions? Why?

Sounds like gov't support and aid to me. You could have always refused to suck the teet....how much are you "cheating" the gov't out of?

There's a difference between sucking the teet, ie living off the gov't... and using the deductions available... one person is taking from the public trust the other is giving to it. Sure, the person taking deductions could be paying in even more, but the person taking and not giving anything, could be working and paying in too... obviously a generalization, but you get the point.

#70 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

I assume you are referring to medicare and social security. But he said federal "income" taxes, and that is different than ss and medicare and the like. Federal income taxes are the taxes that actually pay for stuff (other than medicare and social security) that we use, whether its federal assistance for road building, or food stamps.

Correct. Aside from helping to pay 45% (medicare +SS) of the federal budget, they pay nothing

#71 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Lazy moochers. Seniors, veterans, students, single moms, single dads, low wages.. you should get off your ass (or in seniors case, get those cranky plastic hips moving) and sell your daddy's stock options that he gave you. Now that's hard work

#72 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

Correct. Aside from helping to pay 45% (medicare +SS) of the federal budget, they pay nothing

So you admit he was right when he said that over 50% don't pay federal income taxes. Glad to know you can admit when you are wrong. :)

#73 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

So you admit he was right when he said that over 50% don't pay federal income taxes. Glad to know you can admit when you are wrong. :)

Nope. He was wrong for the line that came right after it

Anyone who thinks that half of the people in the US not paying taxes is OK or sustainable is an idiot......and a Democrat.

#74 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'm pretty sure half of those are registered Republicans ;)

#75 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,245 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

There's a difference between sucking the teet, ie living off the gov't... and using the deductions available... one person is taking from the public trust the other is giving to it. Sure, the person taking deductions could be paying in even more, but the person taking and not giving anything, could be working and paying in too... obviously a generalization, but you get the point.

Sorry but gov't assistance is gov't assistance.

What I would like then is an exact % of people sucking the gov't teet. What social programs for the poor are driving this country into the ground?

I think that the poor in our country are made into boogeymen and it's disgusting. People need someone to blame....

And republicans defending the rich are similar to the poor white southerners that were hoodwinked into fighting the civil war to defend the 2% back then (not the 1% we have now).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.