Photo
- - - - -

People happy about us facing a depleted Giants team.

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#31 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,239 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

I agree, which is why being elated over not playing them when they're full-strength, if you're confident you're better than them anyway, mystifies me.

#32 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,239 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

I mean I guess it's cool if it's an easier win or whatever I just don't see why you wouldn't want a victory with both teams equally matched up.

#33 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

Let's say we won the super bowl last year with Cam. If pickles had to play a game this season, and we lost, the fans of the opposing team are most certainly not going to be celebrating that victory.

Also, considering pickles wasn't starting due to injury in 2010, I don't think your scenario really applies anyway.

Yes they would...because it would get them closer to a wildcard spot if needed......You know the playoffs, wins get you there not "street cred" "respect" "cool points" none of that poo. Wins>Everything

#34 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

Literally read nothing past the OP, but it is simple really: wins = respect. At the end of the season, nobody looks at the Super Bowl champs (or any playoff team, for that matter) and says, "well, wait a second, who did they beat throughout the season? A team with 3 or 4 key injuries? Oh, well fug them. They don't get respect simply for that."

We win, we get respect. It doesn't matter against who or under what circumstances. As long as the win is a clean win against any of the other 31 NFL teams, it contributes to the overall record. And overall record is what gains respect.

#35 CarolinaPride5

CarolinaPride5

Legendary.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

Injuries happen. We just need the damn W with this schedule we have. Very few people will be running around saying the Giants would've kicked our ass if they had Nicks.

#36 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,452 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

Injuries are apart of the fuging game. We don't even know if our starting RT will play, you think that's FAIR to us vs Giants pass-rush? Get the fug outta here, teams had plenty of gimme wins in 2010 vs us and clinched a playoff spot in the process.

Jeeze how FAIR was it that people played us without Jon Beason, Ron Edwards and Thomas Davis last year? You actually think they gave a flying-fug?

#37 TNPanther

TNPanther

Jimmie Rustler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,001 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

If we win tomorrow night I'm going to feel good, regardless of whether we played a high school team or the Giants. I'd hate to sound Fox-y, but a win is a win.

#38 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,239 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

Jesus Christ I never said the win is meaningless.

Look, let me point this out. We ended up with the 25th hardest strength of schedule in 2008. As a result of being decent, but not playing any goddamnbody we got shitcanned by the Cardinals. At home. After a bye week.

So you can root for our competition to be watered down and non-threatening if you have no testicles, but I'd prefer to play teams that have all their players healthy as often as humanly possibly. Especially if we're playing the Super Bowl champs. The Giants are still a very good team even with the injuries, but if we beat them when they're fully healthy, ESPECIALLY if we REALLY beat them, that tells us a lot about our team. A victory tomorrow still tells us a lot, but if we face the giants again in the post season, we may not have the luxury of facing them when they're hurting.

#39 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,634 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:56 AM

I think you just wanted some company.

This is going to probably go for 10 pages, great job.

#40 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:58 AM

I just wanna win, don't care how it happens.

#41 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,381 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

No one victory tells you "a lot" about a team. Just look at how good Dallas played after making the Giants look pedestrian in the season opener. Injuries have never stopped the Giants from winning a game before, and they're the defending superbowl champions.

I'm not a stickler for the whole "gotta beat a team at 100%" thing either. Last year with a depleted depth chart we lost plenty of games to teams we might've been able to beat if we were healthier. It's just the way the league works. Most teams don't overcome multiple injuries and we've gotten the short end of that stick overall in recent years.

#42 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,239 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:01 AM

/see RB post
/gets excited because RB and SD89 usually are on the same page
/not on the same page
/leaves thread hurt but not conceding defeat!

#43 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,452 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

that's chivalrous and all but i'd be content playing teams' third string quarterbacks every game.

#44 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

Jesus Christ I never said the win is meaningless.

Look, let me point this out. We ended up with the 25th hardest strength of schedule in 2008. As a result of being decent, but not playing any goddamnbody we got shitcanned by the Cardinals. At home. After a bye week.

So you can root for our competition to be watered down and non-threatening if you have no testicles, but I'd prefer to play teams that have all their players healthy as often as humanly possibly. Especially if we're playing the Super Bowl champs. The Giants are still a very good team even with the injuries, but if we beat them when they're fully healthy, ESPECIALLY if we REALLY beat them, that tells us a lot about our team. A victory tomorrow still tells us a lot, but if we face the giants again in the post season, we may not have the luxury of facing them when they're hurting.

We got stomped by the Cards in 08 because Jake Delhomme decided to turn the ball over repeatedly. The defense didn't play THAT bad, but goddamn, they were on the field all night (I remember, I was there). It had less to do with our regular season competition and more to do with individual play for that game.

I get what you're saying, but to make a thread basically saying, "eh, this win will be cool, but it still doesn't tell us much", I'd argue that your ignorant. We just beat one of the best offenses in football, without a head coach or not, that is impressive. Then, if we beat the Giants, that is TWO GOOD TEAMS IN A 5 DAY PERIOD! Regardless of whether or not either the Saints or Giants are fully healthy is irrelevant at that point. They're still a good team, by your own admission, and so the win still tells us plenty. If we face them in the postseason, win or lose tomorrow, we just add the "cover Nicks" and "be ready for a more potent run game" to the scouting report. That is it.

#45 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,452 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

Btw, we were going toe to toe WITH Brees last season at home WITH Sean Payton. We only lost by three points...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com