214 replies to this topic

#61 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Joe Person@josephperson
Steve Smith, when Cam Newton sat on the bench after he was benched Thurs, said he lit into Newton on the sideline with "unchoice words."
Joe Person@josephperson
Smith was unhappy Newton didn't stand on sideline and watch, absorb like Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen have done "for the last 20 games."
Joe Person@josephperson
Smith said he's more concerned about development of Newton as a man, than a leader, saying leadership is a process.
Joe Person@josephperson
Second time in as many seasons Panthers captains have had to address Newton's demeanor. @RyanKalil and Jordan Gross did it late last season.
Joe Person@josephperson
Gross said Newton's frustration a product of Newton's intense competitiveness. Derek Anderson said it's maturation; went thru same process.
Joe Person@josephperson
Panthers PR staff says Cam Newton won't be available for comment until next Wednesday, per their normal policy with Newton.

Even more troubling, as I suspected and noted in the game chat... Cam was essentially benched.

#62 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

The word is that Smitty got pissed when he saw Cam sitting on the bench after he had been pulled out of the game... he wanted Cam to stand on the sideline and absorb the loss, just like Clausen and Anderson have stood on the sideline and absorbed losses when Cam was out there.

It's a good teaching moment for Cam, I have no problem with that and I doubt Cam did either - I'm sure he realized Smitty was right.

#63 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Smith was unhappy Newton didn't stand on sideline and watch, absorb like Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen have done "for the last 20 games."

Wow. Smith just basically said that Clausen is more of a man than Cam. At least in how he's handled this type of situation.

#64 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,199 posts

And how verifiable is that comment.... with old smith i wouldn't doubt this happened, but it seems he turned over a new leaf and keeps his mouth shut in public.

Though i wish it did happen, i wish everyone would just vent their frustration so we can fix it.

Smith turns over a new leaf every year. lol

#65 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,186 posts

I think the term "benched" is being used loosely, Smitty was "benched" as well, but refused to come out of the game.

They were not "benched" for performance, they were "benched" so they would live to fight another day.

#66 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,785 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Even more troubling, as I suspected and noted in the game chat... Cam was essentially benched.

As stated above, I don't think Cam was benched due to his performance. Absolutely no need to have your franchise QB put at risk when the game is literally out of reach.

#67 YoMoney

YoMoney

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

We have black Jay Cutler as our team QB. Good for Smitty.

#68 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

There goes the locker-room, media is about to blow this up times a million.

#69 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Cam is an incredible talent. I love his ability and his demeanor when things are going well. I like the fact he is upset after a loss.

But he does need to learn how to man the fug up. Steve Smith is doing the best thing possible here.

#70 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

Wow. Smith just basically said that Clausen is more of a man than Cam. At least in how he's handled this type of situation.

To go though 2010 as a season, with how awful it was and the displeasure from the fans, that takes alot of character to not make snid remarks. To the best of my knowledge, Clausen never slammed the franchise or the fans.

#71 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,911 posts

Everyone forgets Cam as a man is just as old as the rookies entering the NFL this year. Also the Dude has never seen loss like this before because he was so talented. I dont like that he panics and throws picks but its just him trying to make plays and put the team on his back. Its not going to happen at this level and everyone has to do there own part.

TBH Smith should know because he was the same way when he was young.

#72 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I would have a problem with Smitty tearing into Cam (he gets upset when he's losing, there's no shame in that) except for the fact that he did his Superman after his touchdown. Like really? You just made it 33-7. Maybe wait till it's a 3 possession game before you start celebrating. That rubbed me the wrong way. I'm glad Smitty gave him a piece of his mind.

#73 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,695 posts

Yes, "benched" is being used loosely, but all of our other starters were still in there IIRC. I thought I remembered seeing DWill and I know Rivera said Smitty didn't want to come out.

But, Rivera did not say they tried to take him out either. He said "we needed him out there" or "we still wanted him out there... to set an example."

So, if that is the case, then Cam was benched, and I don't think it was for performance obviously, I wanted us to take him out after he got up limping from that jailbreak sack. But, I do think it had something to do with him pouting as well.

#74 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,786 posts

Please

The coaches should have benched themselves

#75 YoMoney

YoMoney

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I love Smitty so much.
The guy is a true leader. Not his fault hes had clowns throwing him the ball his career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com