Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grantland article on Hurney

56 posts in this topic

Posted

He offers Delhomme's extension coming out of the '08 season as one of the examples of Hurney's incompetence... so our '09 curb stomping of the Giants is in play.

Because a onetime curb stomping is not as as good as a Superbowl Championship or two.

Not to mention, the coach that accomplished that is no longer employed here and while I was not a big fan of Fox's old school ways, he was not this team's main problem, Hurney was.

Posted

So how would he explain why Hurney's team totally destroyed Reese's team to close out the Meadowlands in '09?

My point: using last nights game as an indictment of Hurney's ability as a GM is as silly as using the '09 game as an indictment of Reese's ability as a GM.

I agree with some of what's in the article, but he gets carried away.

This is a very different team than 09 though Catman.

A lot HAS changed since then and he cites the draft failures and flubs that have taken place since then as well.

The problem with Hurney is, because of the intermittent success, he's been given passes way too often... 03, 05, 09... Then what. If you look at each year as an at-bat, Hurney has struck out so many times that he wouldn't even be playing in the farm system at this point - he'd be done.

Posted

They drafted Brandon LaFell and Armanti Edwards in the third round when the likes of Emmanuel Sanders, Eric Decker, Jimmy Graham, and Aaron Hernandez were available.

There is no defending this. Happy with Lafell but I don't care what anyone says, there was no good reason to draft Armanti when there were plenty of actual WRs sitting there.

Posted

There is no defending this. Happy with Lafell but I don't care what anyone says, there was no good reason to draft Armanti when there were plenty of actual WRs sitting there.

I don't think anyone can honestly say they had Jimmy Graham penciled in to be a top 5 NFL tight end. He was a project, at best, and he developed well in NO's system.

Posted

Jimmy Graham was more known for being heckled by opposing fans at basketball games than anything else going into college

Posted

Because a onetime curb stomping is not as as good as a Superbowl Championship or two.

Not to metion, the coach that accomplished that is no longer employed here and while I was not a big fan of Fox's old school ways, he was not this team's main problem, Hurney was.

Nobody said that, but the article is using last night's curb stomping as a platform for suggesting that Reese is a better GM than Hurney, while ignoring the fact that Hurney's team has delivered a similar curb stomping to Reese's team in the not-too-distant past.

Like I said, there are a lot of criticisms in that article I agree with - but the author gets carried away.

Posted

Nobody said that, but the article is using last night's curb stomping as a platform for suggesting that Reese is a better GM than Hurney, while ignoring the fact that Hurney's team has delivered a similar curb stomping to Reese's team in the not-too-distant past.

Like I said, there are a lot of criticisms in that article I agree with - but the author gets carried away.

I think the Super Bowl rings are the platform for Reese being a better GM than Hurney.

Posted

Reese's teams last losing season was 2004. Reese's lost can at least be chalked up to a bad day......by a solid roster

Posted

I think the Super Bowl rings are the platform for Reese being a better GM than Hurney.

Okay, we're talking past each other.

Posted

Welcome aboard folks.

I have been saying/screaming this to anyone who would listen, and many who would not for over 3 years now.

Hurney is a below average GM, and that's exactly what we have on the field right now. A below average team.

Fox was the problem........always.

1 person likes this

Posted

If that was all the article was trying to say I would agree.

He is also saying we are screwed for the long term because JR kept Hurney longer than he should have and allowed him to make more bad financial decisions.

Posted

If there was a way to make the playoffs and rid ourselves of Hurney I'd be all for it. Not sure how though