149 replies to this topic

#91 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,276 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

So, which number is "not his share"?

58% of his income to charity and taxes? Or, $9.2M to charity and taxes in 2011.

I am curious to know how much you think is someone else's share.....because I guarantee you that he pays a much higher percentage to taxes and charity than you EVER will.

Yeah but I pay a higher percentage in taxes. God doesn't want money he wants your heart.

41 Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. 42 Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans. 43 So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; 44 for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood."

I give of my time and money. I'm on the outreach council at my church and provide a lot of services to the destitute and poor around Charlotte. Do I give as much? Who knows... There might be some that say I give way more.

#92 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

There is only 1 actual fair system, and it isn't proposed by anyone employed by our government. That is to abolish the income tax, and tax what is spent, not what is earned.

I have zero problem with this idea. Is it yours?

#93 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

I have zero problem with this idea. Is it yours?

It's called the Fair Tax. I leaned about it from Mike Gravel in 2004.

It's based on what you take from society (through consumption) rather than what you contribute to society (through work).

It also encourages people to live within their means. It would make life for the poor SO much easier, while also discouraging stuff like Bentleys in the ghetto. And it also wouldn't punish the rich like income tax, because it only "penalizes" for excess. If you're responsible with your money, you're all set. If you are buying gold plated spaghetti noodles, you're going to pay a lot of tax on that.

#94 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

It's called the Fair Tax. I leaned about it from Mike Gravel in 2004.

It's based on what you take from society (through consumption) rather than what you contribute to society (through work).

It also encourages people to live within their means. It would make life for the poor SO much easier, while also discouraging stuff like Bentleys in the ghetto. And it also wouldn't punish the rich like income tax, because it only "penalizes" for excess. If you're responsible with your money, you're all set. If you are buying gold plated spaghetti noodles, you're going to pay a lot of tax on that.

Who's against it?

#95 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Who's against it?

99% of congress

#96 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

I like the broad strokes of it. Let me amend what I've said....IF we're going to have income tax, THEN a flat tax is a must.

#97 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

Who's against it?

I don't know. I've heard arguments from liberals that it's not a progressive tax, and I can see the point and feel the rebate covers that problem.

I think it's just not known or popular enough for people to be "against it."

"Opposition to the FairTax is bi-partisan in Washington. While most co-sponsors are Republican, those supporting the FairTax represent a minority of Republican Members. Eight years of majority rule by the GOP did not see the FairTax enacted. Democrats have been even less moved by the potential of the FairTax."

http://www.fairtax.o...rticle&id=10339

#98 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,276 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

Would a consumption tax stymie the economy and industries?

#99 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Would a consumption tax stymie the economy and industries?

The tax only applies to final consumption sale to the consumer, not wholesale or sales to processing/industry. Would cut production cost, which would actually lower prices to the consumer and thus improve the economy.

Of course, this has never been tested, so it's just a theory.

#100 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

And now it's about %.

Which is it?

So that's not enough, right? or you don't want to answer me cause you don't wanna face the truth. That this man has kept his legal obligation to the people by paying his taxes, which based by %, is far more than most will pay in alifetime. But he also kept his obligation to his god and donated 44% along with the inheritance his father left. not to mention what he paid the other years of his professional life. No you'd rather try to turn the arguement and not face the fact that your views are not fair and straight biased. This whole eat the rich mentality is stupid. Sounds like a bunch of haters to me. I am probably one of the poorest people I know. But if you're successful and make it big, I ain't gonna be mad at ya.

#101 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,276 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

The only thing I am jealous of is his tax rate. After my deductions I still paid 25% (payroll, fed, and state).

If I could pay 14% I could save, invest, or spend an additional 10% of my income.

That's what I'm jealous of...

#102 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Fair Tax is just a consumption tax.

Rich people "consume" more right? Bigger cars...bigger houses...bigger food budgets...etc.

I'm for it.

#103 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 9,375 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

The tax only applies to final consumption sale to the consumer, not wholesale or sales to processing/industry. Would cut production cost, which would actually lower prices to the consumer and thus improve the economy.

Of course, this has never been tested, so it's just a theory.

At the outset, it sounds good, but not sure it would not be a huge break for top income earners.

Example

Spending by a 100k per year couple for cars, food and such might be 50k
Spending by a 10 million per year couple for cars food and such might be 250k

Even though he makes 100 times more than the first couple, his taxes are only 5 times as much. I know it is not fleshed out, but looks good at the outset.

Remember, how much the top 2% pay in taxes? There would have to be a LOT of spending by these guys to equal same amount by fair tax

#104 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,092 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yeah but I pay a higher percentage in taxes. God doesn't want money he wants your heart.

41 Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. 42 Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans. 43 So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; 44 for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood."

I give of my time and money. I'm on the outreach council at my church and provide a lot of services to the destitute and poor around Charlotte. Do I give as much? Who knows... There might be some that say I give way more.

You ONLY pay a lower percentage because you did not give 25% of your income to charity.

Now he should be ridiculed because he chose to give a substantial portion of his income to charities? I guess by your warped logic, he should have not given to charities and paid a higher % in taxes? Is that what you are saying.

He could have easily done that....and kept more money for himself at the same time.

Your hatred is quite comical.

I am not questioning your generosity to charities. I commend your efforts in donating both your money and your time. Yet, you insult romeny for giving millions of dollars to charity. You do realize that most of these charities need cash donations as well as time donations.

#105 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,092 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

The only thing I am jealous of is his tax rate. After my deductions I still paid 25% (payroll, fed, and state).

If I could pay 14% I could save, invest, or spend an additional 10% of my income.

That's what I'm jealous of...

Give 25% of your salary to charity and I bet you would pay 14% in taxes.

Your first sentence summed it up....you are jealous that he makes a lot of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.