Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What You Should and Should NOT Be Angry/Upset/Frustrated About.

16 posts in this topic

Posted

One thing I've noticed about our "Dictate To The Defense" offensive philosophy is that it struggles when things don't go according to plan.

It sounds great in theory. Make the defense play our game. Unfortunately, whenever the defense has been ready for our game, we haven't been able to recover and counter.

Abandoning your gameplan when it just isn't there isn't a knock on your pride or your IQ, Chud... Sometimes you just have to adapt..

Posted

You should NOT be upset about Rivera stoic attitude on the sideline, as annoying as it can be, him freaking isn't going to help. If he takes the same passive attitude in the locker room, then by all means, chew him out. (Which, tbh, I'm kind of worried he does, so there is that)

Just to address this one point, it's not so much that people want some raving maniac on the sidelines, throwing fits when angry and jumping up and down like a child when happy. We just would like to see Ron act as if he is engaged.

When the team is losing it's composure and confidence, he needs to react to that. Call the O together on the sidelines for a quick "get focused" talk. Take a timeout when the D is letting the other team march up and down the field, and at least try to stop the bleeding. Talk to individual players when appropriate (he does this occasionally, but not much). Just act like you are engaged.

Instead, his demeanor is that of someone objectively studying the game. That's appropriate for an owner, or a beat writer, or even a GM. But in a game where emotion is so important, it is not appropriate for the coach to be that unmoved by what is going on around him.

People point to stoic guys like Landry to talk about why Ron's demeanor is okay, and yes, he was stoic much of the time, but there were also times he would grab a player by the front of his jersey and get in his face after a particularly boneheaded play. Can you imagine Ron doing that?

I will continue to support all our coaches for as long as they are our coaches, but it cannot be denied that questions are arising in many minds.

Posted

I can agree with that. I'd just rather convince myself, perhaps delusionaly, that I'm not seeing the whole story.

Posted

Man...... Rivera be lookin clueless on the sideline. Hate to say it cuz i like him, but im starting to sway over to the people that were saying this earlier. Its like he be thinkin about what he is gonna eat after the game or somethin.