Photo
- - - - -

This Coaching Staff is Babying Newton

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#25 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

His running ability is beyond average, yet this isn't college. Everyone is faster and smarter. In college, Cam broke off 50+ yard touchdowns with ease. Yet in the pros, that is not the case. (He only had one of those last year against the Bucs) Cam shouldn't depend on his running at all as a main weapon. He should consider it as a trump card. This offense we are currently running, considers Cam's ability to run as a main weapon. So it's no wonder that there will be times where we get straight smack down. If you ask me was I surprised by the Giants beatdown, I would tell you I wasn't shocked. (Just really mad)

The day Newton learns to run the full pro offense, that is the day he will be really dangerous.

It's all about keeping the defense on their heels, did Cam just not have a 40 yard run against the saints? No one expects him to go 50 yards plus, if team wanted a non-athletic pocket passer, that can't evade pressure then they would have stayed with Clausen.

#26 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

It's all about keeping the defense on their heels, did Cam just not have a 40 yard run against the saints? No one expects him to go 50 yards plus, if team wanted a non-athletic pocket passer, that can't evade pressure then they would have stayed with Clausen.

Remember what I said in the OP? Does it work sometimes, yeah. I wouldn't mind seeing it every blue moon. Yet it is a double edged sword, and almost always cut us when we run options against a defense that has any credibility. The Saints are awful on defense. Against the Bucs and Giants, we were shut down. Most likely, we will be shut down against the Falcons as well. With or without Stew in the line-up.

#27 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

Your assuming those parts of the offense are there for the sole purpose of helping Cam. That isnt the case.

#28 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

All I want is the office to run like normal teams. Run plays, pass plays

#29 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Your assuming those parts of the offense are there for the sole purpose of helping Cam. That isnt the case.

Why else are they the base offense? I know it's not to fully utilize D-Will or J-Stew. These cats were getting major yardage in the traditional offense. Phillip Rivers was able to utilize Tolbert from pro style offense. So we know it's not to get the full ability out of those guys.

I remember seeing Cam in training camp running the ball on passing plays. (The ones where the crowd would start clapping when he takes off) Now I'm probably reading a little too much into that, but it seemed this coaching staff has encourage Cam to run, to make his adjustments to the NFL as comfortable as possible. Now it's time to expect more from Cam. This is your living, you are getting paid to play. Learn your craft big boy. I don't see this coaching staff as getting on him like that.

#30 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

Somebody has to tell it like it is. They need to let this guy run a full pro offense. Let him take his lumps and grow as a QB. Let running be his last option, not one of the first. All these option plays and designed runs makes me sick. Does it work sometimes, yeah. However you see what happens when we go against a real defense. We get shut down. I'm okay with using them every blue moon, but if I want to see them as our main offense, I'll look at college football. If I want to see a wishbone offense, I'll go look at Georgia Tech. This is the NFL, where every play is dissected a billion times over by grown men.

Let this guy run the full offense, let him run it like Anderson would run it. Let him identify coverage and call plays. Let him do the whole bit. Or else he will be like Vick, taking 10+ years learning how to be a QB. And by then, he will be playing for another team.

If Newton is used as a run as a last option QB.....you simply aren't going to maximize his potential in this league.

Newton is a physical mismatch the likes of which this league has NEVER seen.....and gameplanning for that doesn't change that fact. Not using it to your advantage is silly.

Nothing supports ant weak comparison to Vick

#31 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

If Newton is used as a run as a last option QB.....you simply aren't going to maximize his potential in this league.

Newton is a physical mismatch the likes of which this league has NEVER seen.....and gameplanning for that doesn't change that fact. Not using it to your advantage is silly.

Nothing supports ant weak comparison to Vick

My comparison with Vick is that for the longest, he depended on his running ability just as much as he depended on his ability to throw. In essence, his interest were divided. It's like this, he doesn't have to dissect defenses like an elite QB has to, he's a threat to run the ball. So Vick never learns how to diagnose defenses, and that is still evident today in some ways. Will Cam be like this? I fear he might because of this system we are running.

#32 cbully

cbully

HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

basically quit being a spoiled brat Camron and sit your butt in the pocket and pass...and review those pics on jimmy's clipboard!

#33 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

My comparison with Vick is that for the longest, he depended on his running ability just as much as he depended on his ability to throw. In essence, his interest were divided. It's like this, he doesn't have to dissect defenses like an elite QB has to, he's a threat to run the ball. So Vick never learns how to diagnose defenses, and that is still evident today in some ways. Will Cam be like this? I fear he might because of this system we are running.

And Cam broke the rookie passing record as a rookie and has a habit of staying in the pocket too long unless it is a CALLED run.....

So I still fail to see a Vick comparison. Cam shows no habit of fleeing a pocket early and using his legs as a crutch

#34 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

To me the read option should be one weapon. Not our entire offense. Cam should learn to be under center and make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. He should be a full blown, real NFL QB. Not a gimmick. I love what he can do from the spread but he needs to do it all.

#35 Newtons2ndLaw

Newtons2ndLaw

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

I agree totally with OP. For starters the offensive game plan last year (especially the beginning) and this year are 3 shades different. It's almost as if the coaching staff totally went back to the drawing board. It almost feels like Cam does not approve of this offensive as well. For gods sake body language is a huge tell and he knows the world's watching. Almost feels like they aren't allowing him to speak his mind. If this is true than they are babying him. That's what you do with a child, you try and control everything about them and don't allow their opinions to be considered.

The fact that we have no short dump off game is ridiculous. Cam threw it away twice on Thursday instead of looking for the screen vs the Giants. Alex Smith's bread and butter is what this team is refusing to do. It is so frustrating how bad this coaching staff is.

#36 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

To me the read option should be one weapon. Not our entire offense. Cam should learn to be under center and make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. He should be a full blown, real NFL QB. Not a gimmick. I love what he can do from the spread but he needs to do it all.

It's not a gimmick....

If we are going to run it....we need the talent. Backup RBs should be geared and suited for it. Need north and south runners to do it in the NFL that are good with contact.

we either run it or we don't.