- - - - -

Why don't we ever bring in defensive linemen as blockers?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

I've noticed over the past couple weeks that the usage of defensive linemen as fullbacks has increased significantly.

How about instead of doing some fancy shmancy option play on 3rd and 1, we bring in Dwan or Ron Edwards in the I-formation with Stewart as the back, and pound that shit in.

And while I still have your attention, did you see that lateral on the Titan's punt return? We need to do some stuff like that to give our special teams a spark.

#2 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,218 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

I rather just use a TE and we dont need anymore gadgets then we got already. Those plays rarely work.

#3 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

I rather just use a TE and we dont need anymore gadgets then we got already. Those plays rarely work.

Hartsock is our only legit blocking TE. Olsen is good too, don't get me wrong, but on a 3rd/4th and 1 situation I think I would rather have another big body that can push the pile and create a hole.

I'm watching the niners run it with Sopoaga and it has been very effective.

#4 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Our Dline can barely play consistent DEF, let alone having the coaching staff give them REPS playing offense..... They need all the reps just focusing on getting better playing DEF.....

#5 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Our Dline can barely play consistent DEF, let alone having the coaching staff give them REPS playing offense..... They need all the reps just focusing on getting better playing DEF.....

Hey, Dwan Edwards has easily been our most consistent and best defensive player this season.

#6 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hey, Dwan Edwards has easily been our most consistent and best defensive player this season.

If that is the case, then having a Buffalo reject player being the best DEF player on our team, really makes the rest of the DEF guys look like poo..

#7 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

If that is the case, then having a Buffalo reject player being the best DEF player on our team, really makes the rest of the DEF guys look like poo..

Kinda embarrassing, isn't it?

#8 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

Chris Gamble did a lateral once.

#9 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Chris Gamble did a lateral once.

Ssssshhhhhh....

#10 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,510 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Its always fun seeing something unusual like that happen, especially if it works. But to be honest the good teams are good at playing pure football without gadgets.

#11 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Because its a gimmick

#12 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Its always fun seeing something unusual like that happen, especially if it works. But to be honest the good teams are good at playing pure football without gadgets.

So 85' Bears weren't a good team when they would use the Fridge Perry?

Or what about Vrabel for the Pats in their heyday.

#13 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,510 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

So 85' Bears weren't a good team when they would use the Fridge Perry?

Or what about Vrabel for the Pats in their heyday.

Sure the tricks gave them an extra edge but the bread and butter of why they were good is because they were fundamentally good at playing the game of football.

#14 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Sure the tricks gave them an extra edge but the bread and butter of why they were good is because they were fundamentally good at playing the game of football.

I'm not saying put one of the Edward's on every down to play FB.

I'm saying instead of running an option play on 3rd/4th and 1, we need to line up in the I with one of the Edward's and just pound that shit in.

Only the best defense in the NFL could stop Ryan Kalil leading the way, with Dwan/Ron Edwards coming from behind and then Jonathan Stewart coming through to gain 1 yard.

#15 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,510 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

I'm not saying put one of the Edward's on every down to play FB.

I'm saying instead of running an option play on 3rd/4th and 1, we need to line up in the I with one of the Edward's and just pound that shit in.

Only the best defense in the NFL could stop Ryan Kalil leading the way, with Dwan/Ron Edwards coming from behind and then Jonathan Stewart coming through to gain 1 yard.

Agreed, I'm sick of 3rd and 1=30 yard bomb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.