Photo
- - - - -

Mortgage: Fixed 30 years interest rates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 Hotsauce

Hotsauce

Future Training Camp MVP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

If you want to pay extra on your house, take your mortgage amount and spilt it in half and pay that amount every 2 weeks. For example, my mortgage payment is $2000 a month. I pay $1000 every 2 weeks....will end up saving about $40,000 and paying my mortgage off about 13 yrs early

#32 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

one other thing on the extra payment deal. make sure your provider doesn't penalize you by doing this or try to charge you a stupid jacked up fee for doing this.

and while we are on the topic of mortgages...where the heck is dimbee?

#33 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Disagree with you here.

Pay off debt as soon as possible, no matter what.

The problem is, only very dedicated folks will take the time to actually invest that extra 50 or 100.

IMO a paid off house that you can never lose is an unbelievable place to be.

Pay off the house in 15 year or less, and then you can really invest when you don't have a mortgage.

You disagree because you assume the person would not invest the money. Therefore, the problem with the proposal is not the proposal itself but the stupidity of the person.

30 year mortgage with investing the extra money would likely produce more economically than making a higher mortgage payment.....it is quite simple.

Tax effected mortgage rate is less than 3%. As long as you can invest and make a higer return than your mortgage rate (long term the avg yield in the market is about 10%), you WIN.

If a person is too stupid to invest the money and blow it, then THAT is the problem.

#34 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

If you want to pay extra on your house, take your mortgage amount and spilt it in half and pay that amount every 2 weeks. For example, my mortgage payment is $2000 a month. I pay $1000 every 2 weeks....will end up saving about $40,000 and paying my mortgage off about 13 yrs early

If you are going to do that, you are better off with a 15 yr mortgage....you get a lower interest rate.

However, by following your suggestion, you have the flexibility to only make the monthly payment for a few months if needed.....15 yr mortgage locks you into the higher payment.

#35 Wyank

Wyank

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Down to 3.1 for 30 year today. We've been looking for a house for over a year. Had one on contract and was supposed to settle yesterday but the home inspection showed the roof was leaking and owner wouldn't help towards a new roof. Looking for a house probably has been one of the most frustrating things I've ever done.

#36 fitty76

fitty76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Just locked in at 3.25% for my new house that I'm building. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet