#1 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

http://www.scientifi...-to-creationist

[QUOTE]1. Evolution is only a theory. It is not a fact or a scientific law.
Many people learned in elementary school that a theory falls in the middle of a hierarchy of certainty--above a mere hypothesis but below a law. Scientists do not use the terms that way, however... [/QUOTE][QUOTE]2. Natural selection is based on circular reasoning: the fittest are those who survive, and those who survive are deemed fittest.
"Survival of the fittest" is a conversational way to describe natural selection, but a more technical description speaks of differential rates of survival and reproduction... [/QUOTE][QUOTE]3. Evolution is unscientific, because it is not testable or falsifiable. It makes claims about events that were not observed and can never be re-created.
This blanket dismissal of evolution ignores important distinctions that divide the field into at least two broad areas: microevolution and macroevolution.[/QUOTE][QUOTE]4. Increasingly, scientists doubt the truth of evolution.
No evidence suggests that evolution is losing adherents. Pick up any issue of a peer-reviewed biological journal, and you will find articles that support and extend evolutionary studies or that embrace evolution as a fundamental concept.
[/QUOTE][QUOTE]5. The disagreements among even evolutionary biologists show how little solid science supports evolution.
Evolutionary biologists passionately debate diverse topics: how speciation happens, the rates of evolutionary change, the ancestral relationships of birds and dinosaurs, whether Neandertals were a species apart from modern humans, and much more. These disputes are like those found in all other branches of science. Acceptance of evolution as a factual occurrence and a guiding principle is nonetheless universal in biology.
[/QUOTE][QUOTE]6. If humans descended from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?
This surprisingly common argument reflects several levels of ignorance about evolution. The first mistake is that evolution does not teach that humans descended from monkeys; it states that both have a common ancestor.
[/QUOTE][QUOTE]7. Evolution cannot explain how life first appeared on earth.
The origin of life remains very much a mystery, but biochemists have learned about how primitive nucleic acids, amino acids and other building blocks of life could have formed and organized themselves into self-replicating, self-sustaining units, laying the foundation for cellular biochemistry. [/QUOTE][QUOTE]8. Mathematically, it is inconceivable that anything as complex as a protein, let alone a living cell or a human, could spring up by chance.
Chance plays a part in evolution (for example, in the random mutations that can give rise to new traits), but evolution does not depend on chance to create organisms, proteins or other entities.[/QUOTE][QUOTE]9. The Second Law of Thermodynamics says that systems must become more disordered over time. Living cells therefore could not have evolved from inanimate chemicals, and multicellular life could not have evolved from protozoa.
This argument derives from a misunderstanding of the Second Law. If it were valid, mineral crystals and snowflakes would also be impossible, because they, too, are complex structures that form spontaneously from disordered parts.
[/QUOTE][QUOTE]10. Mutations are essential to evolution theory, but mutations can only eliminate traits. They cannot produce new features.
On the contrary, biology has catalogued many traits produced by point mutations (changes at precise positions in an organism's DNA)--bacterial resistance to antibiotics, for example.
[/QUOTE][QUOTE]11. Natural selection might explain microevolution, but it cannot explain the origin of new species and higher orders of life.
Evolutionary biologists have written extensively about how natural selection could produce new species. For instance, in the model called allopatry, developed by Ernst Mayr of Harvard University, if a population of organisms were isolated from the rest of its species by geographical boundaries, it might be subjected to different selective pressures.[/QUOTE][QUOTE]12. Nobody has ever seen a new species evolve.
Speciation is probably fairly rare and in many cases might take centuries. Furthermore, recognizing a new species during a formative stage can be difficult, because biologists sometimes disagree about how best to define a species. The most widely used definition, Mayr's Biological Species Concept, recognizes a species as a distinct community of reproductively isolated populations--sets of organisms that normally do not or cannot breed outside their community. [/QUOTE][QUOTE]13. Evolutionists cannot point to any transitional fossils--creatures that are half reptile and half bird, for instance.
Actually, paleontologists know of many detailed examples of fossils intermediate in form between various taxonomic groups. One of the most famous fossils of all time is Archaeopteryx, which combines feathers and skeletal structures peculiar to birds with features of dinosaurs. [/QUOTE][QUOTE]14. Living things have fantastically intricate features--at the anatomical, cellular and molecular levels--that could not function if they were any less complex or sophisticated. The only prudent conclusion is that they are the products of intelligent design, not evolution.
This "argument from design" is the backbone of most recent attacks on evolution, but it is also one of the oldest. In 1802 theologian William Paley wrote that if one finds a pocket watch in a field, the most reasonable conclusion is that someone dropped it, not that natural forces created it there. [/QUOTE][QUOTE]15. Recent discoveries prove that even at the microscopic level, life has a quality of complexity that could not have come about through evolution.
"Irreducible complexity" is the battle cry of Michael J. Behe of Lehigh University, author of Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution. As a household example of irreducible complexity, Behe chooses the mousetrap--a machine that could not function if any of its pieces were missing and whose pieces have no value except as parts of the whole.[/QUOTE]

#2 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

The evolution of species is a fact. Darwin's explanation of how it happened is a theory, albeit the one that is generally accepted today.

#3 xPUREBYBLOODx

xPUREBYBLOODx

StraightXXXLife

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

The evolution of species is a fact. Darwin's explanation of how it happened is a theory, albeit the one that is generally accepted today.

yeah and the sky is purple too..right?

#4 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

Under the right conditions, yes.

#5 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

Remarkably weak answers, especially number 11

EDIT: Excuse me. Upon re-reading, number 9 is the weakest answer. My bad.

Edited by ItsNotGonnaBeAlright, 19 May 2009 - 09:25 PM.

#6 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 15,637 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

As a former subscriber, sciam has gone downhil in the last several years. :(

Not to criticize their viewpoint, but the way they view science, fact, theory and consensus has completely changed, and not for the better.

#7 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Remarkably weak answers, especially number 11

EDIT: Excuse me. Upon re-reading, number 9 is the weakest answer. My bad.

i only copied the first one or two sentences from each answer. can't post full articles.

#8 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

yeah and the sky is purple too..right?

no, the sky appears blue because of Rayleigh scattering. most light wavelengths pass through our atmosphere unaffected, but the shorter blue light wavelengths are absorbed by the gas molecules and scattered in every direction... including down to our eyes. hence we see blue in the sky.

science taught of this. what does the bible say on the matter?

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 21,696 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

its the reflection of Jesus blue Aryan eyes gazing down upon us in loving wonder

#10 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 15,637 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

God made the sky carolina blue...

...so nobody would have to step in it.

#11 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

Evolution can't be fact because some Minister told me that his imaginary friend told him!!

That covers it right?

#12 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

I use to think evolution was "from the devil" then I realized how ridiculous those church lies sounded, read a couple of books and realized how freakin ignorant I sounded for so many years.

#13 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

i only copied the first one or two sentences from each answer. can't post full articles.

No, I read the whole thing. There's a common problem with his viewpoint that destroys it's validity in scientific discussion.

As for the sky being purple, everyone is aware that they are looking at the sky the wrong way, right?

#14 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:50 PM

I use to think evolution was "from the devil" then I realized how ridiculous those church lies sounded, read a couple of books and realized how freakin ignorant I sounded for so many years.

Just because someone wrote a book doesn't make them all knowing...Mankind is relatively stupid with a few very nice achievements along the way. Nobody knows everything, but there are some that think they do. The fact is that even if evolution (as Darwin hypothisized) turns out to be completely on the mark, it doesn't disprove an existence of God at all. The complexity of life is amazing. The complexity of a cell is amazing. I'm not one to buy into the "well, random accident" line of thinking.

#15 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

Just because someone wrote a book doesn't make them all knowing...Mankind is relatively stupid with a few very nice achievements along the way. Nobody knows everything, but there are some that think they do. The fact is that even if evolution (as Darwin hypothisized) turns out to be completely on the mark, it doesn't disprove an existence of God at all. The complexity of life is amazing. The complexity of a cell is amazing. I'm not one to buy into the "well, random accident" line of thinking.

First off, its not just one book that I read. Also if you don't believe in evolution you are claiming that almost all scientist are wrong. If you would only read a little bit about evolution you would realize how absolutely ridiculous it is that so many Americans reject it.

Secondly you are right Evolution does NOT disprove that there is a God. it does disprove the literal reading of Genesis which is why so many people reject evolution (they believe a book, full or errors and contradictions written in the Bronze Age over scientific evidence)

Thirdly, you are right no one knows everything (though religious people like to claim they do, like if there is a God, what his name is, his plan for the world and how the world was created) scientist are daily learning more and more about evolution. Darwin wasn't spot on with everything but he got it going.

Seriously you should look into it more. I recommend a new book to start you off with called "why evolution is true" its an excellent read and a whole LOT of evidence.

I also read the christian perspective trying to sell ID as science and disprove evolution. It was very weak, they twisted facts and imo flat out lied.

Edited by Cat, 21 May 2009 - 10:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.