Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grantland: Punting on 4th-and-1 candidate for worst coaching move of the year

99 posts in this topic

Posted

I would just like to point out that having the punt downed at the 1 was really lucky too- we were inches away from giving them the ball on the 20.

Serious question to those who thought punting was the right move- were you actually confident that the defense was going to stop them? Because I was terrified of their WRs coming back on the field

1 person likes this

Posted

There is a reason they call a Hail Mary a Hail Mary. Because you are throwing up a prayer. I'd like one of these stat guys to look up how many teams have driven 95+ yards successfully with less than a minute left and no timeouts to win a game. I'm sure it's been done less than 1% in those scenarios in NFL history. Our defensive players and coaching are bad at a historical NFL level. They'll be an answer to a sports trivia question someday.

They didnt have to go 95 yards, they needed about 65-70. With the Panthers secondary that is not really that far. 3-4 long pass plays would do it normally, we just decided to let them do it really quickly

Posted

Do you think it would draw such harsh criticism outside Carolina if Rivera truly made the right call?

This a million times. I wonder who would be calling it the wrong call if Rivera went for it.

If we won I doubt that people would be as condescending with the WHY AREN'T YOU A HEAD COACH THEN crap

Posted

There is a reason they call a Hail Mary a Hail Mary. Because you are throwing up a prayer. I'd like one of these stat guys to look up how many teams have driven 95+ yards successfully with less than a minute left and no timeouts to win a game. I'm sure it's been done less than 1% in those scenarios in NFL history. Our defensive players and coaching are bad at a historical NFL level. They'll be an answer to a sports trivia question someday.

If we're going to look at this from a stats perspective, you'd also want to analyze the chances that a punt would get downed at the one yard line. The much more likely outcome of that play is that it's a touchback, which, had that happened the move would be even more indefensible.

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't know if it was the right call, wrong call or the worst call. All I do know is, it is a lot easier to be a coward and say something behind a computer screen when you have nothing to lose or not have to answer any questions afterwards.

Posted

I don't know if it was the right call, wrong call or the worst call. All I do know is, it is a lot easier to be a coward and say something behind a computer screen when you have nothing to lose or not have to answer any questions afterwards.

Had I been at the game I would have yelled at Rivera to go for it then, but alas all I could do was yell at my TV then make "cowardly" posts about Rivera's bad coaching

1 person likes this

Posted

Rivera has to go.. the man cannot coach.. makes me wonder what the hell hurney saw in this guy.

Posted

Had I been at the game I would have yelled at Rivera to go for it then, but alas all I could do was yell at my TV then make "cowardly" posts about Rivera's bad coaching

you and me both. difference is, we are measly fans who can yell anything about anything with no repercussions. i wanted us to go for it too and was yelling, but as a fan, we don't have pressure to deal with. but again, cam doesn't fumble we don't have this discussion.

Posted

hey guys i have a great idea

let's go for it on 4th and 1 when we could easily get stopped AND we're in atlanta AND we're facing a red-hot offense who would easily win if they get the ball at midfield AND...

or we can try to give them, at worst, 80 yards which isn't a guaranteed victory. oh even better, 99 yards!!!

i'm sure whatever dumb bullshit computer program that grantland runs would say that the chances of winning when you have to drive 99 yards in 60 seconds with 0 timeouts is miniscule. we win that game 9 times out of 10. we probably fail that short run 9 times out of 10. i mean, you people keep bitching about our run playcalls anyway. it hasn't been as effective as it was last year. it is totally different from last season, where no matter what, we were getting the first down.

absolutely the right playcall in this situation. if we were playing a shitty offense i could understand. like the jags or something. but the falcons? are you fuging insane? give them 50 yards when we could give them 80-99? no.

anyway, then haruki nakamura and josh norman fuged up for 2 or 3 plays. this game isn't on rivera or mcdermott or chud. we probably wouldn't have been in the fuging game with any other coaching staff (i mean, this *is* the only close game atlanta has even had).

shut up about it already. jesus.

Posted

why do people keep saying the needed 99 yards

they only needed a FG, not a TD

was I watching a different game or tripping on shrooms and not know it?

Posted

Yeah. Considering how well we'd contained Ryan, White and Turner, I know I was pretty confident giving the ball back to them and relying on a pretty good defense to stop them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I was completely blown away when Ryan attacked Nakamura and Norman for a huge gain. I hadn't seen the Falcons try to expose that matchup yet and it took me completely by surprise.

Good coaching decision.

1 person likes this

Posted

I disagree

The defense should have stopped them

Period

1 person likes this