Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wall to Kentucky....

65 posts in this topic

Posted

Kentucky is completely turning into Memphis...Calapari will eventually win a title with his recruiting style...recruit the thuggish 1 and dones...

Congrats UK

you provide so much insight to all conversations... thank you

Posted

way to change the subject, whats wrong?

and how relevent has UK been since Pitino left?

As much as I hate to take up for Kentucky, I know what it feels like....They are in a lot of the same situation as Carolina was after Dean Smith retired

Take a Coaching Legend out of the system

Pitino = Smith

then you have....

Tubby Smith = Bill Guthridge (Lived off of the talent brought by the Coach before him....Tubby more than Guthridge, because he got a title)

Billy G = Matt Doherty(Both PR nightmares Doherty more than Billy G, and had numerous problems with the Alum and Boosters..Ran out of a job)

Both teams went one year without making the tourney and breaking their consistent run in Tourney appearances (Carolina actually 2 years without making the tourney)

Now you have a proven Coach that is coming in there that is one of the best recruiters in the Nation and can develop that talent into College contenders for the Title

Calipari = Williams

Now it is almost like you just sit back and wait for a National Title to come rolling in

Edits: Clearing up everything and why I said it, so people wouldn't argue one little thing, because I did not define something correctly

Posted

way to change the subject, whats wrong?

and how relevent has UK been since Pitino left?

since pitino left, we had a couple years where we were the number one overall seed... granted nothing in the past 4-5 years...

and i know everyone will say he won it with rick's players, but a large reason pitino left was bc he felt he could not win with the team coming back in 98. he wanted to go out on top, so tubby came in and found a system that worked with the players he had and they surprised a lot of people... including rick. not knocking him bc at the time we (UK fans) were happy for rick bc we knew he wanted the nba so bad.

but to your point, we have not been relevent since 2003 and 2004... elite eight loss to mich st in OT and dwayne wade playing like God on the basketball court....

Posted

As much as I hate to take up for Kentucky, I know what it feels like....They are in a lot of the same situation as Carolina was after Dean Smith retired

Take a Coaching Legend out of the system

Pitino = Smith

then you have....

Tubby Smith = Bill Guthridge

Billy G = Matt Doherty

Both teams went one year without making the tourney and breaking their consistent run in Tourney appearances

Now you have a proven Coach that is coming in there that is one of the best recruiters in the Nation and can develop that talent into College contenders for the Title

Calipari = Williams

Now it is almost like you just sit back and wait for a National Title to come rolling in

this is the same argument i have been having with some other carolina fans who wont admit that you all went through almost an identical situation...

nice post...

Posted

This is true. However, on paper, very very strong team, we do need to still see them play together on the court. I will stand by Wall being an instant impact and dominate player, but Cousins I could see struggling to be what everyone envisions of him.

Yeah I agree with you...Also nobody is factoring in that UK is not going to be playing that pure dribble drive offense that we are so used to seeing under Cal. If they do that then Patterson, Orton, Cousins will all be a waste of a position on the floor. None of those guys are quick enough to keep up with the guards on the break..

It'll be interesting, Im just not buying all the "national champs or bust" talk that is goin on right now.

Posted

Yeah I agree with you...Also nobody is factoring in that UK is not going to be playing that pure dribble drive offense that we are so used to seeing under Cal. If they do that then Patterson, Orton, Cousins will all be a waste of a position on the floor. None of those guys are quick enough to keep up with the guards on the break..

It'll be interesting, Im just not buying all the "national champs or bust" talk that is goin on right now.

I'm a huge UK fan, and I agree with you. But....we're in the conversation again, and that feels nice. Just wish I could get the UK fans who go around thumping their chests and bragging on other teams' boards to shut up. They're like that relative who embarrasses himself every year at the family reunion.

Posted

I'm a huge UK fan, and I agree with you. But....we're in the conversation again, and that feels nice. Just wish I could get the UK fans who go around thumping their chests and bragging on other teams' boards to shut up. They're like that relative who embarrasses himself every year at the family reunion.

Yep. The fact is Kentucky is back in the mix and in a huge way. But there are a large number of UK fans who are walking around acting like the NC is theirs for the taking.

There is so much that goes into winning a NC. Experience playing a big role. Correct me if I am wrong but no one on this Kentucky team has ever made it past the second round of the NCAA tournament, not to mention this team was playing in the NIT last year. That goes a long way once you get to the second weekend.

Again I am not bashing Kentucky, just dont agree with those who believe that the NC is all but theirs to lose.

Posted

At the same time, the moment a UK fan says the slightest thing about potential for good play or hope on the horizong, he's immediately assaulted by UNC douchebags (feel free to peruse the numerous UK-related threads here and observe the calm nature of the thread until a UNC fan starts casting stones)

:D

Posted

at the same time, the moment a uk fan says the slightest thing about potential for good play or hope on the horizong, he's immediately assaulted by unc douchebags (feel free to peruse the numerous uk-related threads here and observe the calm nature of the thread until a unc fan starts casting stones)

qft

Posted

At the same time, the moment a UK fan says the slightest thing about potential for good play or hope on the horizong, he's immediately assaulted by UNC douchebags (feel free to peruse the numerous UK-related threads here and observe the calm nature of the thread until a UNC fan starts casting stones)

umm I might have overlooked it in this thread, but where has any Carolina said anything negative in here?

Posted

umm I might have overlooked it in this thread, but where has any Carolina said anything negative in here?

Not in this thread, but look up Dwill's posts in the other threads in this forum.

Posted

ahhhhh...gotcha