Photo
- - - - -

Wall to Kentucky....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#16 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

And by the way, Florida won it all with mostly one class, and they were sophomores.

#17 Panthericulous

Panthericulous

I'm calmer than you are..

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

everyone forgets darius miller as far as outside shooting goes... last year i really thought that he would be the next "meeks" type player to score a lot with a ton of athletic ability... the guy wont even start this year... either will orton and hood and stevenson and galloway and liggins... thats 11 guys right there that are pretty solid with five guys (if meeks comes back, which he will) with solid playing experience....

its all a crapshoot now... as is with all recruiting... but as for now, it feels so good to be talked about like we are again at this time of year...

it will be very tough if meeks doesnt return to compete with kansas, nova, mich st, and carolina but college basketball is getting younger and younger and freshman can make a huge difference compared to what they used to do....

#18 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

Kentucky is completely turning into Memphis...Calapari will eventually win a title with his recruiting style...recruit the thuggish 1 and dones...

Congrats UK

#19 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:01 AM

Hard to say until you see them actually play, but consider this....

Michigan's Fab Five: Webber (2), Howard (4), Rose (6), King (8) and Jackson (60-something, I think)

Kentucky's class: Wall (1), Cousins (2), and I don't know the rest but I know Orton is way up there, plus Hood, Bledsoe and someone else...all in the top 40. Michigan called itself the Fab Five, but it was really the Fab Four. Kentucky has six studs. I mean, if they didn't have anyone coming back, these guys could win 20-25 games by themselves. Then you consider Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks (90-plus free throw shooter)....next year could be special.

I still say until one of these classes actually win a NC then they can be labeled as the best recruiting class in the Nation, and it is kinda hard to say the Fab Five was a great recruiting class, because A) they did not win it all and B) the controversy that followed about how they got to Michigan

#20 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:21 AM

I want to see where they are after next year when Patterson,Cousins and Wall go to the NBA, along with Stevenson and Meeks eligibility being up. They will be in constant rebuild mode with Calipari there. Cal was at Memphis and UMass how long? How many titles did he win?

#21 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:40 AM

and Louisville stole Kentucky's Coach, and how many titles has he won since?

just sayin'

#22 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

I still say until one of these classes actually win a NC then they can be labeled as the best recruiting class in the Nation, and it is kinda hard to say the Fab Five was a great recruiting class, because A) they did not win it all and B) the controversy that followed about how they got to Michigan

Basically Michigan got UNLV's next recruiting class. When Tark was forced to leave UNLV all those guys had to choose a Plan B.

#23 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:48 AM

and Louisville stole Kentucky's Coach, and how many titles has he won since?

just sayin'

way to change the subject, whats wrong?

and how relevent has UK been since Pitino left?

#24 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:49 AM

I want to see where they are after next year when Patterson,Cousins and Wall go to the NBA, along with Stevenson and Meeks eligibility being up. They will be in constant rebuild mode with Calipari there. Cal was at Memphis and UMass how long? How many titles did he win?

Calipari was at Memphis nine years. He came within a prayer shot by that Kansas kid of winning one there, and in any other year he would have won with that UMass team (they split with Kentucky that year, and most people consider that 96 Kentucky team one of the two best of the last 20 years.

#25 Panthericulous

Panthericulous

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:55 AM

Kentucky is completely turning into Memphis...Calapari will eventually win a title with his recruiting style...recruit the thuggish 1 and dones...

Congrats UK

you provide so much insight to all conversations... thank you

#26 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:56 AM

As much as I hate to take up for Kentucky, I know what it feels like....They are in a lot of the same situation as Carolina was after Dean Smith retired

Take a Coaching Legend out of the system

Pitino = Smith

then you have....

Tubby Smith = Bill Guthridge (Lived off of the talent brought by the Coach before him....Tubby more than Guthridge, because he got a title)

Billy G = Matt Doherty(Both PR nightmares Doherty more than Billy G, and had numerous problems with the Alum and Boosters..Ran out of a job)

Both teams went one year without making the tourney and breaking their consistent run in Tourney appearances (Carolina actually 2 years without making the tourney)

Now you have a proven Coach that is coming in there that is one of the best recruiters in the Nation and can develop that talent into College contenders for the Title

Calipari = Williams

Now it is almost like you just sit back and wait for a National Title to come rolling in

Edits: Clearing up everything and why I said it, so people wouldn't argue one little thing, because I did not define something correctly

Edited by Tweeder, 20 May 2009 - 07:52 AM.

#27 Panthericulous

Panthericulous

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:02 AM

since pitino left, we had a couple years where we were the number one overall seed... granted nothing in the past 4-5 years...

and i know everyone will say he won it with rick's players, but a large reason pitino left was bc he felt he could not win with the team coming back in 98. he wanted to go out on top, so tubby came in and found a system that worked with the players he had and they surprised a lot of people... including rick. not knocking him bc at the time we (UK fans) were happy for rick bc we knew he wanted the nba so bad.

but to your point, we have not been relevent since 2003 and 2004... elite eight loss to mich st in OT and dwayne wade playing like God on the basketball court....

#28 Panthericulous

Panthericulous

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

As much as I hate to take up for Kentucky, I know what it feels like....They are in a lot of the same situation as Carolina was after Dean Smith retired

Take a Coaching Legend out of the system

Pitino = Smith

then you have....

Tubby Smith = Bill Guthridge
Billy G = Matt Doherty

Both teams went one year without making the tourney and breaking their consistent run in Tourney appearances

Now you have a proven Coach that is coming in there that is one of the best recruiters in the Nation and can develop that talent into College contenders for the Title

Calipari = Williams

Now it is almost like you just sit back and wait for a National Title to come rolling in

this is the same argument i have been having with some other carolina fans who wont admit that you all went through almost an identical situation...

nice post...

#29 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

This is true. However, on paper, very very strong team, we do need to still see them play together on the court. I will stand by Wall being an instant impact and dominate player, but Cousins I could see struggling to be what everyone envisions of him.

Yeah I agree with you...Also nobody is factoring in that UK is not going to be playing that pure dribble drive offense that we are so used to seeing under Cal. If they do that then Patterson, Orton, Cousins will all be a waste of a position on the floor. None of those guys are quick enough to keep up with the guards on the break..

It'll be interesting, Im just not buying all the "national champs or bust" talk that is goin on right now.

#30 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

Yeah I agree with you...Also nobody is factoring in that UK is not going to be playing that pure dribble drive offense that we are so used to seeing under Cal. If they do that then Patterson, Orton, Cousins will all be a waste of a position on the floor. None of those guys are quick enough to keep up with the guards on the break..

It'll be interesting, Im just not buying all the "national champs or bust" talk that is goin on right now.

I'm a huge UK fan, and I agree with you. But....we're in the conversation again, and that feels nice. Just wish I could get the UK fans who go around thumping their chests and bragging on other teams' boards to shut up. They're like that relative who embarrasses himself every year at the family reunion.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com