Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNCrules2187

Falcons phantom 4th Timeout

39 posts in this topic

Mike Pereira said on Twitter yesterday

Mike Pereira@MikePereira

A request for an excess timeout is ignored. There is no penalty unless it's an attempt to freeze the kicker.

So is Pereira saying that the "real" refs went all "replacement" ref on the Panther's azzes since they seemed to have given the Falcon's a needed timeout anyway?

1 person likes this

Anything to blame the loss on anyone else but the team... I love it

Did punching that strawman right to the ground feel good?

That was the refs decision... Dude came to tell Coach Smith he didnt have a timeout

So you're telling us he took an official timeout to tell Smith that he didn't have a timeout?

That'll show Mike Smith!

Man... I'm sure glad the regular refs are back.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2012/10/01/mike-smith-about-his-sideline-tantrum-very-sorry-about-my-action/

Matt Bryant’s field goal had given the Falcons a 30-28 lead with five seconds remaining, but they still had to defend one last play. After a touchback on the kickoff, Carolina took possession at its 20. Smith saw that the Falcons had only 10 players on the field — he would not identify the missing man — and was less than pleased.

Said Smith: “We were trying to finish the game. We were trying to get the right personnel. We didn’t have the right number of players.”

Fox cameras caught an angry Smith putting both hands on Hamilton’s arm and administering a slight shove. Said Smith: “I was on a tirade — that’s all. I did not push him. I was on a tirade and I threw my hands.”

Thinking quickly, Smith signaled for a timeout before Carolina could snap the ball, knowing full well the Falcons had used their final allotted timeout just after the two-minute warning. He also knew that NFL rules don’t levy a penalty when a team tries to call a timeout it doesn’t have.

The Falcons were able to send an 11th defender into the game while the officials were telling Smith he couldn’t have a timeout, which was his intention all along. “I was trying to get 11 guys on the field,” he said. “We didn’t have 11 guys.”

Mission accomplished.

So you're telling us he took an official timeout to tell Smith that he didn't have a timeout?

That'll show Mike Smith!

Man... I'm sure glad the regular refs are back.

Cam got sacked before his guys even reached the end zone.... Our 3 man rush was on the field before all that.

I just feel like its no big deal at the end of the day

Cam got sacked before his guys even reached the end zone.... Our 3 man rush was on the field before all that.

I just feel like its no big deal at the end of the day

Point being that without your missing secondary player on the field we could have potentially had a free receiver with no one covering him. In case you're a little slow; this means that Cam wouldn't have had to wait for the routes to finish to throw. By giving a "free" timeout the refs allowed Atlanta to get proper personnel on the field.

1 person likes this

Point being that without your missing secondary player on the field we could have potentially had a free receiver with no one covering him. In case you're a little slow; this means that Cam wouldn't have had to wait for the routes to finish to throw. By giving a "free" timeout the refs allowed Atlanta to get proper personnel on the field.

Dude we had a 3 man rush.... everybody else went deep.... Even Coach Rivera said we got a sack with a 3 man rush so the missing guy thing probably wouldnt have made a difference...

“I’m not sure it makes a difference,” Rivera said. “The bad thing is they had a three-man pass rush and got a sack off it.”

We had 8 guys... It would have been 7 guys deep without the 1 guy

I get the ref shouldnt have not did what he did.... It doesnt make a difference tho.

He's a Falcon he'll never be able to comprehend common sense....

• Topics

• And to think this guy made it through 7 rounds and not one team wanted him.  Thank God Gettleman was on his "A" game and signed him here. Amazing how talent can bypass so many scouts, coaches and GMs. If they did a redraft.   What round would he go to?  Round 1?  He's a solid of a Guard as any in this league.
    • you do realize that $1M pledge he made was after he had received a ton of backlash and outcry from the media for sitting during the national anthem? He did hold his promise and has made some other donations as well, but before he decided to sit at football games, he didn't do jack poo for oppressed communities and the homeless, or any other charities for that matter. He was just a narcissist prima dona who so happened to play for one of the most talented teams in the NFL headed by one of the greatest coaches in the NFL. Him prospering early on in his career made him a cocky SOB who dressed like a thug during press conferences and treated the media like dog poo.  Yes people change, but he changed for the wrong reasons. His career was in turmoil, he was a declining NFL QB trying to stay relevant, so he thought up a rouge to get back in the spotlight by sitting. After he received backlash, he thought to himself "oh crap, I need to back up my words with some action. let me make a few donations to show the world I truly care about what I stand for"  the dude could give a rats ass about any of that poo. He didn't even show up to vote, and I don't think he's ever voted in his life. And I don't care about voting for the president, but at least vote for your local officials and congressman and for your states propositions. If he truly wants to have a voice and use the stage he has to inflict some serious changes in this country, there's a way to go about it, not seek attention for the wrong reasons just to resurrect your career.  
    • I love Moton. The only thing that freaks me out about him is that he played for a small school. I do think he could've flourished for a big time program though.