Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is josh norman just to slow to get it done?

92 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://walterfootball.com/nflreview.php

White had an awesome performance, catching eight balls for 169 yards and two touchdowns. Julio Jones, meanwhile, had just one catch for 30 yards. He simply couldn't get open against Chris Gamble. He nearly had a second reception, but couldn't get two feet inbounds on a long pass in the fourth quarter(norman covering).

Can we stop saying norman had a great game because it wasn't. He was covering roddy 80% of the time. You saw the numbers he put up. and while it could be scheme related, i sure as hell haven't forgotten the whipping ramses barden put on him last week. everyone saying he's playing great and outstanding.....are we watching the same games???????????

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Wow. A 5th rounder from Coastal Carolina is only playing like a slightly bellow average NFL CB. I just can't believe it.

You just made the point of the year...the Carolina Panthers are starting a rookie CB from Coastal Carolina who was selected in the 5th round.

Thanks Hurney!

Posted · Report post

I think Norman will turn out to be a good player. But we're going to need more help at CB. Captain is going to be a FA and who knows with Hogan. I want another shutdown CB across from Gamble. We have a chance to get that this draft with the likes of Rhodes, Milliner, and Banks.

It's turned into a passing league. We need guys who can stay on an island and a FS who can just have a field day.

Posted · Report post

Only thing you can fault him for is giving too much cushion occasionally.

As I mentioned in another thread, Nak kept saying stuff to him after plays and it looks like, as with everyone else on our defensive back 7, none of them know where their responsibilities/assignments end and where the next guy's begins. There seems to be a huge issue in communication, both in man and zone, but especially zone.

When he's stayed with his man and not tried to pass him onto Nak or whoever else, he's done an outstanding job. He's also done really well in recovering if the receiver initially beats him. He is as sure of a tackler as we have on defense which is sad when that guy is your cornerback, and he rarely ever allows any significant YAC if his guy makes a catch on him. When the ball has been thrown for him to make a play on it, he has... Several times over. And he uses his body well to adjust to the ball and deflect it.

Timed speed and football speed aren't one in the same. His on field speed is much better than his timed speed. Add to that his size and fluidity in shifting and changing directions, and he is well positioned to be our #1 CB down the line, and at worst the permanent #2.

There may be some bumps in the road along they way this year, but that's expected with a rookie. He is the right guy for the job. If our guys did a better job of understanding what they were doing and communicating it with each other, which may come with time playing together, then our defense would be tons better - so long as opponents don't catch Nak in one-on-one coverage, lol.

You're welcome. *Mike Mayock face*

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Norman has not played badly. Roddy White is a spectacular receiver - he's certainly good enough to get it done against a small school 5th rounder in his first season. I think Norman will be fine.

I can think of a few things I'd like to fix before I addressed Josh Norman.

Posted · Report post

You compare starters to starters. And comparing him to morris is still on the lower end of the scale. When cam was a rookie they compared him to everyone in the league not just rookies. you don't get a pass because you were in the 5th round this is the nfl if your number is called its called. your a starter.

Lol

Posted · Report post

for a rookie corner, he is playing well. patrick peterson was getting beat badly last year and has improved greatly.

Posted · Report post

Stupid post is stupid.

Posted · Report post

http://walterfootbal...m/nflreview.php

Can we stop saying norman had a great game because it wasn't. He was covering roddy 80% of the time. You saw the numbers he put up. and while it could be scheme related, i sure as hell haven't forgotten the whipping ramses barden put on him last week. everyone saying he's playing great and outstanding.....are we watching the same games???????????

I agree with your observations, but come up with a different conclusion. Norman has been picked on consistently in the last 2 games, as would any rookie CB. But he also occasionally shows flashes, and most importantly, does not act at all overwhelmed. He has been much better than we had any right to expect out of a 5th rounder.

Where I think we're in agreement is that it would have been nice to have a decent vet on the 53 so we could ease Norman into the role. Yes, Norman's learning curve would be slowed somewhat, but I doubt anyone in the locker room yesterday gives a damn about learning curves. They want to win.

Posted · Report post

http://walterfootbal...m/nflreview.php

Walterfootball?? Come on dude.

And no, we are not watching the same games.

You have in this thread claimed:

Norman got beat by Giants 4th WR. That is simply not the truth, we lined Norman of 20 yds from LoS and Eli just picked the scheme a part. That is on RR and Ginger.

Norman was beat again and again by Whith and was the reason he godt 169 yds. you seem to forget that 110 of those yds came when Nakamura fuged up.

Norman is to slow and never makes a cut on a route. Norman had 3-4 balls batted down were he was cutting on a underneath route.

So no I actually doubt we see the same games.

Posted · Report post

Norman got beat by Giants 4th WR. That is simply not the truth, we lined Norman of 20 yds from LoS and Eli just picked the scheme a part. That is on RR and Ginger.

Norman was beat again and again by Whith and was the reason he godt 169 yds. you seem to forget that 110 of those yds came when Nakamura fuged up.

Norman is to slow and never makes a cut on a route. Norman had 3-4 balls batted down were he was cutting on a underneath route.

I used walterfootball only to point out a coverage. Point being julio was shut down by gamble. Another point you brought up was that eli picked apart the scheme. Well it looked to me they were attacking normans part of the scheme. As many have pointed out he has been picked on. While he could develop, his performance even by his standards have been questionable. Even before this past game he was qouted saying he got his confidence back. Meaning he was beaten by the giants a few times.

If you look at the majority of our

games, we've been getting beat by teams number 2 options. Thus leading one to the conclusion teams are shying away from gamble and targeting norman. I believe its gamble who doesnt get enuff credit as most of this board deems him only average.

Posted · Report post

Norman is a 5th round rookie.

Norman didn't get beat by Barden he just so happened to be 5 inchs shorter than him.

Norman is still better than putting Munnerlyn out there to get it thrown right over his outstreched midget arms.