Photo
- - - - -

With 1:49 left in the 2nd and 3 timeouts...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,757 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

What would Belichek have done....

#17 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,961 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Rivera is a defensive minded guy... Chud should be dealing with offensive clock management no? Or at very least guiding what's going on with the 2 minute offense. They really did look lost at the end of the half Sunday. I was screaming for a timeout after the first play and they just lollygagged around getting back to the line and wasted 20 or 30 seconds.

Maybe it's something that they haven't worked enough on in practice... who knows?

#18 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Atlanta had some timeouts, if we threw one or two incomplete passes too quickly, they could've gotten the ball back and had sometime to score.
I think Rivera was trying to find the middle ground between getting yards, first downs and preventing enough time left just in case. And had Smith not had that PI, I think we have a good shot at a FG.

#19 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,184 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

While we are all frustrated by the lack of urgency going into the half, fact is, we took a penalty on the drive and had we hurried up, we just would have had to punt and they would have had plenty of time to score on us.

#20 Eazy-E

Eazy-E

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

While we are all frustrated by the lack of urgency going into the half, fact is, we took a penalty on the drive and had we hurried up, we just would have had to punt and they would have had plenty of time to score on us.

That penalty came with only about 25 seconds left on the clock to go another 30 yards and that is just for a field goal. Any team in the NFL with 3 timeouts and 1:49 left who is trying to win is going to try and punch it in for 6. worst case is you come away with 3.

When you are on the road against a team like ATL, you play to win the game. Hell even John Fox was not this damn conservative.

#21 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,184 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

That penalty came with only about 25 seconds left on the clock to go another 30 yards and that is just for a field goal. Any team in the NFL with 3 timeouts and 1:49 left who is trying to win is going to try and punch it in for 6. worst case is you come away with 3.

When you are on the road against a team like ATL, you play to win the game. Hell even John Fox was not this damn conservative.

Yes but had we been rushing conserving time, that penalty may have come with 1:25

#22 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

I was talking about what this thread is about. 1:49 LEFT IN THE 2nd and 3 TIMEOUTS. Cam has made plenty of good throws so far but when it comes close to half time or the end of the game, our play calling is conservative, e.g., against the Bucs we had the ball with 2:55 before the half, started at our 20 and it took us 2:40 to call 8 plays, which ended in a punt. Against the falcons we had the ball with 1:49 left and was only able to call 7 plays that went for 24 yards. My post is not wrong. It takes us forever to move the ball when we are playing against the clock. We seemed better at this during his rookie year.

Throwing the ball deep with less than two minutes in the half in a close game is EXACTLY what defensive coordinators in this league don't allow you to do (unless, of course, you're a DC with a staggering drunk at safety, like the Panthers).

With three timeouts and 1:50, you throw underneath and work your way down the field 10-15 yards at a time (hopefully getting out-of-bounds on some of those plays and stopping the clock), all the while hoping one of those underneath throws will break loose for a larger gain.

You'd be screaming at Cam through the TV if he was throwing deep into coverage designed to prevent the deep throws.

#23 Toolbox

Toolbox

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,844 posts
  • Locationnc

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Just same ol pussy foxball we see time and time again

#24 Way Truth Life

Way Truth Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Captains pass interference call was huge. 19 seconds left if the WR catches the ball in bounds, they have to kill the ball and kick it 15 yards further back.

#25 HardcoreDefense

HardcoreDefense

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Throwing the ball deep with less than two minutes in the half in a close game is EXACTLY what defensive coordinators in this league don't allow you to do (unless, of course, you're a DC with a staggering drunk at safety, like the Panthers).

With three timeouts and 1:50, you throw underneath and work your way down the field 10-15 yards at a time (hopefully getting out-of-bounds on some of those plays and stopping the clock), all the while hoping one of those underneath throws will break loose for a larger gain.

You'd be screaming at Cam through the TV if he was throwing deep into coverage designed to prevent the deep throws.

Your right, I wouldnt want Cam to throw it deep with 1:50 left. But with time winding down I would like to see more aggressive calls within the last min to at least make the corners line up deeper. We have a talented offense, just horrible play calling within 2 min.

#26 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

Maybe he learns from this.
Next game we get the ball in the 1st half with about 2 minutes to go...I want to see something different than what I saw this weekend.

Coaches coach for moments like this. Those who wait for moments like this to happen to them never win games because unfortunately it shows they are reactive instead of proactive coaches.

Coaching is lot like playing polka...You play to your opponents weakness,so you they can call your bluff and and then you can capitalize. You don't expose your team's weakness at every turn. Rivera plays to the Panther's weakness a lot.

This team has got to stop playing to hold on instead of playing to win. The panthers need to learn to step on the opponents head when they are down because they damn sure will step on your team's head when they're down.

#27 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Captains pass interference call was huge. 19 seconds left if the WR catches the ball in bounds, they have to kill the ball and kick it 15 yards further back.

Uh, the thread is about the end of the 1st half, not the 2nd.

#28 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,877 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Coaches coach for moments like this. Those who wait for moments like this to happen to them never win games because unfortunately it shows they are reactive instead of proactive coaches.

Coaching is lot like playing polka...You play to your opponents weakness,so you they can call your bluff and and then you can capitalize. You don't expose your team's weakness at every turn. Rivera plays to the Panther's weakness a lot.

This team has got to stop playing to hold on instead of playing to win. The panthers need to learn to step on the opponents head when they are down because they damn sure will step on your team's head when they're down.

I like your post but you know how to play polka?

#29 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

I like your post but you know how to play polka?

Sorry...didn't spell check...Poker, not polka

But I'm sure you knew what I was talking about. ;o)

#30 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,877 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

I'm Scot and Cherokee but I know many Krauts...you're OK by me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com