Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Neighborhoods in/around Charlotte

83 posts in this topic

Posted

uh oh....forgot about the resident stalker. :D

I grew up in UC.

Posted

They have pretty much nailed it as far as the area. As far as the people it depends on you. If the best thing about you is your money they will look forward to seeing that money.

Posted

I grew up in Cotswold. Great part of Charlotte. That Chick-Fil-A has to be one of the busiest in the city if not state.

Posted

Davidson is a lovely town with just about the best schools in the county but it's 35 ninutes from my house to BoFa stadium.

Yes to Dilworth or the "Booty Loop" area around Queens Road.

Posted

Racism in and round Charlotte is not bad at all. Many transplants.

You can get into the most redneck areas you have ever seen in less than 1 hour.

Posted

That Chick-Fil-A has to be one of the busiest in the city if not state - the one in stonecrest was like top 5 in the country last year.

But yeah I am a fan of weddington. Lived out there before it turned into suburbs. Used to go run around in steve smiths neighborhood because we got to watch them build it and the security gates.

dang it i am giving out memory pie.

Posted

That Chick-Fil-A has to be one of the busiest in the city if not state - the one in stonecrest was like top 5 in the country last year.

But yeah I am a fan of weddington. Lived out there before it turned into suburbs. Used to go run around in steve smiths neighborhood because we got to watch them build it and the security gates.

dang it i am giving out memory pie.

Weddington area is a great place if you have young kids. Schools are outstanding (both the Weddington High School and Marvin Ridge High School districts)....can be in Ballantyne (where I work) in less than 10 min....downtown in about 25 min.....taxes are about 1/2 what you will pay in Mecklenburg County.

It is all about what you are looking for. If you are single or married with no kids, I would go more towards downtown.....more to do. But, the suburbs are great for the family.

Posted

1 thing staying on the south carolina side of the border can save you a mint in taxes but stay the hell away from lancaster. There really is something in the water. Not joking.

Posted

Weddington area is a great place if you have young kids. Schools are outstanding (both the Weddington High School and Marvin Ridge High School districts)....can be in Ballantyne (where I work) in less than 10 min....downtown in about 25 min.....taxes are about 1/2 what you will pay in Mecklenburg County.

It is all about what you are looking for. If you are single or married with no kids, I would go more towards downtown.....more to do. But, the suburbs are great for the family.

I have a wife and three kids. Part of my excitement to move is that I can finally afford to buy myself my Mustang that I got rid of when I had my last child. Day care here in CA costs me $900 a month for a 1 year old.

I'd rather spend 300-400k on a house with 1+acres and a backyard where my kids can run around and be free than live in the city and get fined whenever my dog barks. My wife and I have a lot of optimism and hopes for Charlotte.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a wife and three kids. Part of my excitement to move is that I can finally afford to buy myself my Mustang that I got rid of when I had my last child. Day care here in CA costs me $900 a month for a 1 year old.

I'd rather spend 300-400k on a house with 1+acres and a backyard where my kids can run around and be free than live in the city and get fined whenever my dog barks. My wife and I have a lot of optimism and hopes for Charlotte.

If you want something with the 1+ acre, you will also find a lot of that in the Weddington area (as well as nice neighborhoods). You should be able to find something to your liking.

Welcome to our fair city.

Posted

Daycare isn't going to be any cheaper here.

If you're going the suburbs route, I'd recommend the lake area personally. I grew up in Union County and I've just always found it incredibly boring. The lake area has a unique personality about it.

Fort Mill would be my second choice if I were living in the burbs, but one thing to keep in mind with SC is higher education. South Carolina has some fine schools in USC, Clemson, and CoC, there are simply less options. North Carolina has a distinct advantage when it comes to higher education with one of the best public university systems in the country.

If you do decide on Union County, make sure you check the tax rates for those towns there. Weddington/Wesley Chapel/Marvin are all very cheap, but Waxhaw's tax rates really aren't much lower than those in Charlotte. You then are stuck paying taxes almost on par with the city without the benefits of the city.

Mint Hill is pretty nice, but it is on the Meck side. The schools in that area aren't bad though, so I wouldn't let that deter you. ARSEN just bought a place in Mint Hill, he can probably give you some good info about that place.

Posted

Weddington-Matthews-Mint Hill area is a way to go if u got kids.