Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marty Hurney interview on WFNZ @ 8:45a

135 posts in this topic

Posted

You do realize we had a down right good draft dont you? Keek,Alexander,and Norman are all going to be good players. The only problem with Hurney is that he is not willing to put any money in FA. We have one of the smallest scouting departments for pro scouts so it no surprise that we get bad talent. He just has a bad plan and its been bad since 09.

this past draft was decent, but what about every other year? our owner and FO knows we have a small scouting department compared to other teams so why will they not bring more bodies in? teams that build through the draft, still will bring a vet in to take care of a need.

Posted

Owners hardly ever take responsibility lol, especially a guy like JR who thinks he's never wrong, mind you.

Posted

I fear that Jerry has a lot to do with personnel decisions. He's not up front about it like Jerry Jones, but I think he gives the final go ahead. I think Marty is an average gm, but I still don't see him pulling the trigger on the Armanti boondoggle. I do think Marty had everything to do with trading up for Otah and Everette Brown.

Posted

I disagree.

thats cool, but 3 winning season out of 11 says something. rebuilding since 09.

Posted

That interview is a must-listen for Panthers fans. First time they've ever really asked Hurney tough questions and he was more honest and even emotional than he usually is.

It scares me that we have a GM that sounds like he's about to have a Cam-style emotional breakdown of his own pretty soon.

1 person likes this

Posted

I listen to the mac attack everyday, its the only sports show in charlotte worth the time listing to.. Those guys did a great job with that interview. Marty did feel more tense than usual. I think he has finally realized some of his personel dicision were mistakes and he can feel his seat gettng hotter. Especially with that nation wide article that came out about him

Posted

this past draft was decent, but what about every other year? our owner and FO knows we have a small scouting department compared to other teams so why will they not bring more bodies in? teams that build through the draft, still will bring a vet in to take care of a need.

Well that's my point. Don't confuse me with a Hurney apologist cause I'm not. The fact is he has picked good players every year but its not enough because we don't plug in any FA talent. Its a good thing Hurney is upset its a sigh he can change his ways and hopefully JRs as well.

Posted

thats cool, but 3 winning season out of 11 says something. rebuilding since 09.

To a degree, I agree with that. But as I look back, I see a fair number of seasons where injuries plagued us like something Biblical. I also don't think anyone could have guessed Jake would implode like he did, or that the Peppers drama would eek on for so long and sap cohesion from the squad we were fielding at the time. I don't think we could blame Hurney for Fox's petulance in the last year he was here, or his stubborn adherence to a style of play that clearly was not our strong suit any more. As to the picks, yeah, a number of them have turned into duds, but aren't all draft choices ultimately a crap shoot? Given the data he had at the time, I don't think I would like to second guess the front office's choices. On the other hand, if we can, indeed, draft good young players, train them up, and keep them over the long term, I can't help but think this is a sound strategy for enhancing the sense of team needed to go the long haul in the NFL. So much of what makes a championship team great is the cohesion of the men who suit up each Sunday. If we keep our best together, that has to emerge at some point (at least, one would hope so).

Posted

It may be too late for Marty Hurney to turn things around. His seat is growing really hot.

Posted

It may be too late for Marty Hurney to turn things around. His seat is growing really hot.

To be fair we really don't know how hot his seat is with the organization. The fans are in an uproar but there's only one person Hurney has to be really worried about and we really don't know if he supports the decisions being made or not.

I hope he's feeling some pressure from upstairs but they'll never tell us if he is.

Posted

Injuries, injuries! Wait 'til next year!