• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#91 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,974 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

What would help not exposing Nak as such a liability in coverage would be to QUIT PLAYING A F*CKING ZONE. When will McDerpit learn? The Giants torched it, Atlanta torched it, and any other team that watches film on us and has a competent QB will torch it.

He's f*cking braindead.

If we played 2 man under, and leave Nak as literally the "last line of defense" in helping the corners, we wouldn't have saw what happened Sunday.

He should never be in one-on-one coverage. NEVER. EVER.

Even when they did the highlights on NFLN and showed that first TD to White where Nak flailed around and fell over, Marshall Faulk immediately said, "You put that safety in the box, and you don't ever take him out." If he's gonna be out there, that's how it will have to be, or playing man with the safeties 2 deep, that's the only way we will ever WIN on defense as of now.

#92 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,974 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

And after listening to that interview...

LOL.

They really did ask him much tougher questions than usual. And I'm convinced that was Hurney facepalming after the game in Rivera's post game video now.

And, I think Hurney reads the huddle regularly.

#93 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

What would help not exposing Nak as such a liability in coverage would be to QUIT PLAYING A F*CKING ZONE. When will McDerpit learn? The Giants torched it, Atlanta torched it, and any other team that watches film on us and has a competent QB will torch it.

He's f*cking braindead.

If we played 2 man under, and leave Nak as literally the "last line of defense" in helping the corners, we wouldn't have saw what happened Sunday.

He should never be in one-on-one coverage. NEVER. EVER.

Even when they did the highlights on NFLN and showed that first TD to White where Nak flailed around and fell over, Marshall Faulk immediately said, "You put that safety in the box, and you don't ever take him out." If he's gonna be out there, that's how it will have to be, or playing man with the safeties 2 deep, that's the only way we will ever WIN on defense as of now.

Yeah I heard that too. Either that or they're going to have Gamble and Norman switch sides, which they did some on Sunday.

#94 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

I wrote a letter after the Chicago game in 2010 and got a call from Danny Morrison on "behalf of JR". I expressed my extreme displeasure with the cheapness of the team, the way home field is dominated by opposing fans, etc. Then, the great businessman that is Danny Morrison smooth talked me into saying "Thank you Big Danny, may I have another." and had me bowing at his feet by the end of the call. He pretty much pwnd me.

Damn. You can't even get to The Man. Gots to sneak the letter in and hand deliver it. Are there any attractive women on this forum? Dress slutty, say you have a "special delivery" for JR. You'll be let right in. Then BOOM SHAKALAKA, slap that letter on his desk.

#95 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

I like Hurney - I think he is taking too much of the blame for players misteps due to poor coaching.

#96 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,974 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Yeah I heard that too. Either that or they're going to have Gamble and Norman switch sides, which they did some on Sunday.

Yeah, I made that point in one of the post-game threads as well... The thing that stood out to me throughout the game was all of the talking Nak was doing with Norman after they gave up a pass. It's clear our guys struggle with the zone concept and gamedays aren't the time to work out the kinks. They don't know when to pass off their guy to the next and the next guy doesn't know when to pick them up... At least that's how it appears with Nak and Norman.

They can't have two first year starters on the same side, at the very least. I still wish we would just limit zone as much as possible. It hasn't done us any favors thus far and some of our personnel has shown that they aren't capable of effectively playing that style of defense.

#97 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

good interview by the radio guys, Hurney doesn't have a contract- um what?

jesus "are you miserable, right now"

"that's an understatement"

wow

#98 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

I just listened to this. WOW.

You can hear the passion and worry in Hurney's voice. He did sound emotional. So I do think its good to know he GENUINELY does want this franchise to win and is very invested in this. But he hasnt done his job very well (especially the last couple years) and has crippled our franchise with too many draft picks that did not pan out or did not become impact players. Good interview.

#99 Monday Night Shyamalan

Monday Night Shyamalan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • LocationHollyweird, CA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

I listened to it too. I think on balance, I still back Hurney. Yeah, there have been some missteps over the years, but on the whole I think there have been more good moves than bad. I also would rather have a hands off owner like JR than a control freak like Jerry Jones. I believe him when he says that losing eats at him as much or more than anybody else, and that he fully understands the fans' ire and the fingers pointed at him. And finally, I also agree with him that we have a ton of talent on this team. When the Panthers themselves realize it and put it to use, I still believe we're going to be delighted with the result. It's just that getting there is a painful journey.

Thanks for the brief paragraph.

I like the fact we have a hands off owner, but jesus christ I do not understand why JR kept Hurney around after 8 years of mediocrity. Coming off a 2-14 season, #1 draft pick, new coaching staff, etc., was a perfect time for a fresh start. 8-10 years as a manager of any professional sports organization is considered a long tenure in one place, especially when your win average is around the .500 mark. Just doesn't make sense given the perfect opportunity/time to bring in someone else. At least we aren't the Browns .......

...... yet.

#100 TruthVsComfort

TruthVsComfort

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

If Hurney and Rivera can together regularly create drafts like this past one (Luke/Amini/Norman/Frank) I want to keep em around.

#101 SnowFlyHigh

SnowFlyHigh

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

You do realize we had a down right good draft dont you? Keek,Alexander,and Norman are all going to be good players. The only problem with Hurney is that he is not willing to put any money in FA. We have one of the smallest scouting departments for pro scouts so it no surprise that we get bad talent. He just has a bad plan and its been bad since 09.

How can you say we had good draft this year after 4 games? You gotta give a draft class 3 yrs to know whether it was good or not. Look at Keary Colbert he had a good rookie season and then what happened?

#102 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,529 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

I like the fact Hurney was truthful in this interview and you can tell his passion for this team. Guys dont see this as bad news because if he feels this way, he knows he has made a mistake. The man will sit down after this year and hopefully come out with a better plan. His only flaw is he went from one extreme to another. We dont have to pay FA tons of money but we dont have to not pick any players out of FA either. I think he realizes this now.

#103 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,529 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

How can you say we had good draft this year after 4 games? You gotta give a draft class 3 yrs to know whether it was good or not. Look at Keary Colbert he had a good rookie season and then what happened?

The 3 years thing is a bunch of poo. You can tell if a player is going to be good within a year or two. We have 4 starters out of this draft barring injuries.

#104 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

I think Hurney is a middle of the road GM. He nails his first round picks, which is not a 100% given (just look around the league). He finds some decent players in later rounds once in a while. If he had solid picks in the 2-3 round I don't think we'd be having this big of a discussion on it.

I like the overall "build through the draft" deal, but agree you have got to plug in a FA once in a while.

Also, anyone who thinks Otah was a bad pick (at the time) is nutso. If the kid didn't have injuries/rehab/work ethic issues, he'd be a pro bowler by now. But no one saw that coming. Those things happen.

That being said, he's probably run his course with this team and change can be good, if we get the right guy.

#105 SnowFlyHigh

SnowFlyHigh

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

@billvoth
#Panthers FS Sherrod Martin says he's not starting Sunday and nothing changed with reps at practice.

Unacceptable

Rivera LIED just to take the heat off his dumb lineup decisions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com