Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fieryprophet

Gregg Doyel: Cam Criticism Unfair

31 posts in this topic

To add a TMI anecdote from personal experience, and why I wish people would get off Cam's jock regarding his demeanor...

He clearly is on a much bigger stage than any of us here are on, especially in regards to athletics. But, I pulled for him prior to us drafting him and then even moreso after the combine and then after more stories came out about him. Why?

Again, I'm not putting myself on the same level of competition, pay scale, or what have you, but when I played basketball competitively, I used to do a lot of the same stuff people are ragging on Cam about now. I hated losing. I absolutely hated it. I hated feeling like I didn't get a chance to win - whether it was because I didn't contribute enough myself that game or I felt someone else's mistake cost us. Bottom line was I hated losing and I hated failure. So, when I experienced that, I expressed it. Not vocally usually, but I would withdraw from my teammates. I would sit on the bench for minutes after the game was over. I may not shake the other team's hand... I was pissed. When I was on the court and something went wrong, I'd show it in my face. Even if it was me that made the mistake, I hated it and I showed it.

I couldn't hide my frustration. I was doing a lot of the same stuff Cam is getting trashed for now.

BUT, I got along with all of my teammates. I still love those guys to this day... We were like brothers and a few of us still stay in contact regularly. It was just how I dealt with winning, losing, success, and failure... And they understand that. I would expect it to be the same with Cam. If they all lay it out on the line and win, there wouldn't be anything to talk about. You don't want to see him "sulk," then help him win the game. Only difference in our situations (aside from level of competition, pay, etc, lol) is Cam is the FRANCHISE, so some MAY look up to him for morale, leadership, etc. But, IMO, if you're on that level and need another man to tell you "We're going to win this game!" to get you going, then you should retire. His personal expressions shouldn't have any effect on others. Start winning and he'll build his own confidence up to where he lifts up others.

He's still young and learning, but to this point, he's only experienced failure for the most part and squandered efforts and leads... So, he's going to be upset and frustrated.

We can't win all of them, but if we played up to our potential these discussions would be much fewer and far in between.

tl;dr

cool story bro

Decent read. And OKAY, it's not a race issue; but it's a fair point that the writer is african american and taking up for Newton; and I am saying this as a Cam fan. One of the biggest Cam homers there is. And I think african americans tend to like Cam Newton more..... and I think that part is unfair. White guys like Cowherd/Werder/Esiason and most guys in the media seem to want to latch onto anything negative about the guy. They don't talk about how he could have thrown for 400 on Atlanta this past sunday, oh because we lost. The only story is he was late to the bus. WTF?

I just don't get it. Newton has been pretty good this year all but against the Giants. Everyone needs to settle the F down about Cam. He's good. If the team around him improves and the coach can actually coach to win, he'll be known as a winner. I'd tell Greg Doyle he just flamed the fire some.

BTW I'm white and I love Cam

LOL - thx again for someone dropping the race card out no where.

Btw bro - Doyel is about as white as they come. He looks like a balding Bryan Cranston.

Doyel is a troll who showed his ass while slamming the heels a few months ago. He probably would love to take a shot at Cam and the Panthers but at this point his face would just get lost in the crowd.

Well played, Gregg. Take the opposite, least popular angle to generate some publicity for yourself.

As I've asked before, if this was Luck these folks in the media be making so much out of what they intentionally created?

I guess they're still trying to get back at Cam because Warren Moon called them out. Talk about "me attitudes" and big egos.

I wonder what Alex Smith thinks about Cam Newton.

2 people like this

As I've asked before, if this was Luck these folks in the media be making so much out of what they intentionally created?

I guess they're still trying to get back at Cam because Warren Moon called them out. Talk about "me attitudes" and big egos.

I literally haven't heard anything about Luck in weeks. I think the media is quickly figuring out that, as far as players go, he's pretty damn boring, even when he plays well.

I literally haven't heard anything about Luck in weeks. I think the media is quickly figuring out that, as far as players go, he's pretty damn boring, even when he plays well.

Yeah its almost as if Luck plays in Siberia. A straight media wipe out on the #1 overall draft pick heralded as the "next Peyton". Doesnt help the "real Peyton" is still playing and looked good last week. I think the media understands Luck's team isnt gonna do a lot of winning in 2012, so you wont hear much about him.

He had a bye last week, but his praise hasn't really followed him throughout the season.

Just in case anyone was interested, in the first quarter of the season (3 games for Indy), Luck has a QB rating of 75.4 (24th in the league), a completion percentage of 53.3 (next to last in the league), yards per attempt of 6.9, 5 TDs, and 4 ints.

Just in case anyone was interested, in the first quarter of the season (3 games for Indy), Luck has a QB rating of 75.4 (24th in the league), a completion percentage of 53.3 (next to last in the league), yards per attempt of 6.9, 5 TDs, and 4 ints.

Looks a lot like Cam's stats . . .