• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

My Rams faced a very similar situation last week versus Seattle. Fourth and short near midfield, not much time left. They punted, only instead of pinning Seattle down at the one the Seahawks got it at the 20. The net result of that call? 27 yards, I think. But the Rams intercepted Seattle during the drive to secure the victory.

How can one criticize Rivera without also criticizing Fisher?

#2 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,193 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

move on.

#3 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • -24,948 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Fug the rams and Fug Romney.

#4 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

My Rams faced a very similar situation last week versus Seattle. Fourth and short near midfield, not much time left. They punted, only instead of pinning Seattle down at the one the Seahawks got it at the 20. The net result of that call? 27 yards, I think. But the Rams intercepted Seattle during the drive to secure the victory.

Were you starting Nakamura and Norman in your secondary?

#5 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Why is this a topic. Happened like 100 days ago

#6 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

this doesnt tell us WHY it was the right call, just confirms that most (defensive) coaches want to believe in their defense, especially one that played pretty damn tough the previous 59 minutes.

#7 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,554 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

Omg someone just shot John F Kennedy!

#8 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,292 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Rams don't have Cam Newton, Stewart, Tolbert.....and probably weren't averaging 5 yards a carry while putting up 200 yards rushing in that game. Rams also aren't as successful in 1 yard to go scenarios.

Atl passing attack is also light years ahead of Seattle and the Rams D is less inconsistent than Carolina's..

So? I fail to see the similarities n scenarios......

#9 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Most times the defense holds when you pin the other team at their one yard line. Rivera's call put his team in position to win and that's all you can ask.

#10 Fueginator

Fueginator

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Most times the defense holds when you pin the other team at their one yard line. Rivera's call put his team in position to win and that's all you can ask.

All the criticism is in hindsight. If he'd gone for it and didn't get it you'd see outrage that he went for it. I think it was the right call too.

#11 carp24000

carp24000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

They should have bunted.

#12 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Dude the Rams won, the Panthers lost. You mean to tell me you can't see why Rivera would be scrutinized and not Jeff Fisher?

#13 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

Dude the Rams won, the Panthers lost. You mean to tell me you can't see why Rivera would be scrutinized and not Jeff Fisher?

I'm saying they made the identical call and Panthers fans should take solace (unless they hate Rivera and don't want to hear this) in the fact that the call worked in another game even when the punt team screwed it up. Rivera's call put Atlanta on their one yard line. It SHOULD have worked, and the fact that it didn't is on the players, not him. Someone had to make a play.

#14 FalconsOwnYall

FalconsOwnYall

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Punting is probably the right call, but I would've gone for the first. To hell with being conservatism when your team is on the road and you've only won one game. As easily as the offense was moving the ball against Atlanta, you have to roll the dice and go for it.

#15 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

In a normal situation, punting may have well been the right call, but there's other variables you have to take into account.

1. We have Cam Newton

2. This team has been struggling to find an identity, and we're in a desperate need of a moral boost. Rivera failed miserably in sending a message to his team and the rest of the league.

3. KNOW YOUR PERSONNEL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com